Covid-19

More
4 years 2 months ago #550418 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Covid-19
In this time of surreal craziness, we should all be grateful we are, where we are.
For a start, being in NZ we have borders of water and have the ability to control access. Even having a north and south island could be an advantage.

Our population is not that vast, dense (though that could be discussed) and crammed, we all have the space to keep away from others.

We, as lifestylers and farmers, may be confined but, look at what some of us are confined to. We will never go "stir crazy" as we can just step out of our doors and walk and walk and walk (more so in some cases than others) and not have to avoid other people.

We all, well nearly all of us, have livestock that we can go to care for, talk to and generally have a hug which will keep us all a little saner than sitting glued to Netflix or whatever.

During our confinement, we will get an opportunity to catch up on so many tasks that time, until now, has not allowed us to complete and that should increase a feeling of well being and achievement.

Feed stores, well most of them, and supermarkets are still open. There will be limits on numbers of people allowed in at a time to cater for social distancing. They may be on shorter hours to allow the restocking of shelves but, they are still open. We will be able to shop without the insanity of the crowds and queues (and maybe there will be flour available) :-)

Just a few positives to the insane times we are experiencing, anyone else want to add some?
Oooooh, wash fruit you have bought before you eat it.

Stay safe, keep sanitary consciousness and ensure social distancing.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550421 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Covid-19
for those of you in Rodney, Faloons offering phone orders, collect in car park tho, dont go in

More
4 years 2 months ago #550422 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Covid-19
Our local feed store described the events yesterday as a plague of locusts. All feed I buy for my hens was gone in minutes and chook food i'd rather not buy, was 2/3rd gone this morning.
Got to fruit world for a little top up on fresh veges, and cauliflower there were $11.68 per head! A slight advantage over the Whangarei price! We went to New World early only to find they had changed trading hours and weren't open until 8am. Went and topped up the petrol and went back, and the car park was full and hundreds of people queued outside! needless to say we drove home again. While I can understand the need to re-stock shelves, it's worse forcing people into shorter time frames so that crowding could be inevitable.
Thanks Muri. A little heartening advice like that can make a difference, even if it doesn't benefit us. Our postal centre has just installed PO boxes, so this morning we got our key. great news that we can now go and pick up our mail at our leisure. Not so great for the lovely lady that runs it as she will now have either no job, or seriously reduced hours. The shop is out of bounds. Only downside is we now have to notify EVERYONE from whom we get regular mail, of the change of address, even though it is going to exactly the same place as before

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 2 months ago #550423 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Covid-19
My daughter in London said today she tried to shop via supermarket online but found she was number 12000 something in the queue so gave up!! Actual stores are bare even worse than here.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550424 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Covid-19
I've spoken to my agent and although saleyards are closed they can organise paddock sales, for anyone needing to buy or sell stock.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550425 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Covid-19
I'd just like to get one bull to the works, after waiting for two months already.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550426 by Stikkibeek
Works chillers and freezers and export meat in held up shipping to China and other overseas destinations has created a back-log of meat. Part of the reason prices dropped from $6.30 a kg to just $4.50 at one point. It is moving a little now. Prices have reached $5. a kg and are on a trending up market. I expect there will be a shortage of cattle to the works given lots will have been dumped due to the drought.. Hold on in there Ruth. Like Rachel says, "It won't happen over night but it will happen"!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550427 by Stikkibeek
Our local feed store had this to say.

We have had an unbelievable amount of people stock piling and literally emptying our store over the past 2 days. Please do not panic, we are still able to get our orders in weekly and we will have stock for your beloved pets over the 4 week stand down (We will be restocking as of tomorrow as our store was literally empty today, so please bare with us while we get our stock back to its normal levels)

and Fiskins in Pukekohe have also made a system of online pre-purchase due to this.

YES, WE ARE OPEN
BUT
WE ARE NO LONGER ALLOWING CASUAL, DRIVE-IN CUSTOMERS!
After Tuesday' 24th's shenanigans we have decided this is the safest policy for staff and customers!

I can't believe the behaviour of some people. This is the same reason why our home-kill beast was not ready today. The butcher could not drive the people out who would not go home.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550428 by Ruth

Stikkibeek wrote: Our local feed store had this to say.

We have had an unbelievable amount of people stock piling and literally emptying our store over the past 2 days. Please do not panic, we are still able to get our orders in weekly and we will have stock for your beloved pets over the 4 week stand down (We will be restocking as of tomorrow as our store was literally empty today, so please bare with us while we get our stock back to its normal levels)

Woohoo, that's going to make interesting shopping! We haven't been asked to undertake such extreme measures. It's getting a bit cold in the mornings too... :P :lol: :silly: :evil:

More
4 years 2 months ago #550433 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Covid-19
I think I will take my bear with me, and he might even be bare, but I'm not going to go bare with them :-). Very important to use the write words, or the message can get wronged .... nb "can" as "might be able to", rather than a storage container ....

More
4 years 2 months ago #550435 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Covid-19
Panic buying does odd things to people's brains. I'm told that a worried shopper clutching a pack of toilet rolls approached a shelf-stacker in our local supermarket and asked what their expiry date was!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550436 by Ruth
That's too funny. :D

More
4 years 2 months ago #550438 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Covid-19
Dont worry that shopper will get to the bottom of her problem

More
4 years 2 months ago #550442 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Covid-19
This will interest those who have watched The Blue Planet... (Warning—it's very funny.)

More
4 years 2 months ago #550443 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Covid-19

Alan Gilbert wrote: This will interest those who have watched The Blue Planet... (Warning—it's very funny.)

Brilliant - that's my laugh for the day :lol: :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds