Covid-19

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #550387 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Covid-19
Thought i had a good idea getting in some winter vegetable plants, but it seems that every man and his dog had the same idea and now there are none to get. Had it not been for the drought and shortage of water I would have started a lot earlier, but at least i do have seed, even if we are going to eat nothing but parsley for the next few months!!!

On a an aside, i note that Dame Vera Lynn is almost 103! What a remarkable life she has had.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Stikkibeek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550388 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Covid-19
And Kenny Rogers is dead! It's all on.

Parsley soup.

I guess there'll be another run on toilet paper in anticipation of the COVID-19 alert level going up to 3 at any moment!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550389 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Covid-19
My hubby is on his way back to NZ as I type. He is immune suppressed and will be self-isolating. Whilst in the UK he had to go to ED because his right leg swelled up and was very painful. He waited approx 7 hours to be seen and during the wait a young woman walked in and told the reception staff staff that she had flu. Understandably the ED staff were not impressed and hustled her into isolation. He had to have CXR cos his oxygen saturation was low - in the end they gave him painkillers and told him to elevate his leg. As a result of the ED visit I will be self-isolating with him in order that I can make sure that he gets medical help if required - he underplays how ill he is feeling and for him to go to ED he had to be bad. Work is not pleased as I am a practice Nurse but for the first time in my 40 yr career I am putting my family first.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550392 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Covid-19

jeannielea wrote: According to some UK expert on RNZ this morning they don't know if immunity to this virus will work like that yet.

Another expert in Australia has said as other corona viruses provoke immunity, he would be surprised if this one didn't.
It would be nice if the experts agreed!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 2 months ago #550396 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Covid-19
I guess it means they actually don't know!!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550397 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Covid-19
The best course of action is simple. Try to avoid unnecessary contact. Try not to touch your face. Wash your hands aftr touching stuff that others have touched. Do those things and you're likely to be safe. The irony of it all is that the panic buyers are infesting the supermarkets where there is so much person to person contact. I feel so sorry for the checkout operators. It's like Christmas eve during a Zombie Apocalypse. Every day. spare a thought for our retail providers

More
4 years 2 months ago #550399 by Stikkibeek
Yep! I've been thinking about them alright since my brother discovered that white cauliflower in a Whangarei supermarket, were for sale at $14. each! even when it is not the right season for them, I have never seen prices more than about $5. That is shameful price gouging
I'm not very pleased with people at large at present. .Today our 25 year old freezer decided to have a fit and stopped working. There is not a freezer of any sort to be found in all of Auckland as every outlet sold therir last one last week and none expected in for a fortnight. We have a homekill beast due in this week! Help! :sick: We did manage to track one down well out of town and have bought it sight unseen. it's a foreign brand, but does have a 5 year guarantee, so I expect great things from it, but for a while there we were close to panic! Hopefully here tomorrow so we don't lose any more of what we have had to dump.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550400 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Covid-19
Sticky I have a spare freezer for now. an in te toro

More
4 years 2 months ago #550402 by Stikkibeek
Thanks Smudge. Hopefully our new one will be here tomorrow. Most stuff we crammed into the ice box of our small fridge, and some into the fridge freezer in the kitchen. we've cycled it around to try and get it re frozen properly and keep it that was.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550403 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Covid-19

ZummersetGirl wrote: My hubby is on his way back to NZ as I type. He is immune suppressed and will be self-isolating. Whilst in the UK he had to go to ED because his right leg swelled up and was very painful. He waited approx 7 hours to be seen and during the wait a young woman walked in and told the reception staff staff that she had flu. Understandably the ED staff were not impressed and hustled her into isolation. He had to have CXR cos his oxygen saturation was low - in the end they gave him painkillers and told him to elevate his leg. As a result of the ED visit I will be self-isolating with him in order that I can make sure that he gets medical help if required - he underplays how ill he is feeling and for him to go to ED he had to be bad. Work is not pleased as I am a practice Nurse but for the first time in my 40 yr career I am putting my family first.

This must be a very worrying time for you and your family, take care of yourself and do ask for help if you need it.

kia kaha

Web Goddess

More
4 years 2 months ago #550405 by Ruth
Level 4 restrictions from Wednesday midnight! If anyone has managed to find out whether or not farm stores are deemed "essential services", please do let us all know. I've tried Farmlands but those I've asked haven't known yet. In a drought, we still need some stock feeds.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550406 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Covid-19
I think the answer is yes but there may be restrictions.

We spoke to our local feed merchant who said they would be open but the police were coming around to explain new rules about how they can work. I'm guessing this is keeping distance etc

Web Goddess

More
4 years 2 months ago #550407 by Ruth
The woman I spoke to was skimming some communication and indicated that if they are open, it will be for collection only, outside the store.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550410 by Stikkibeek
Going to ring our feed store in the morning as i need a regular supply of poultry food. Our Homekill beast is still trapped at the butcher. He had so many customers crowing in the shop and most of them wouldn't go home, that he still hasn't got to cutting ours up. Might not get it before Wednesday or Thursday now so it will have been hanging in the chiller for 11 or 12 days. At least our new Freezer arrived today. We got the last one in the store i was told by the delivery guy, so i'm so pleased we paid for it yesterday. The builder was here today to fix the bathroom ceiling and it's not quite finished so he needs to come back. he said his daughter went to buy a bread maker yesterday and she couldn't find one of those either. Sigh! have to make it the good old fashioned way, that is if she can find any flour!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550413 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Covid-19
Have had messages from both Farmsource and Farmlands that they will take orders from account holders only - by phone or email - to be collected from outside the door at an arranged time.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds