Covid-19

More
4 years 2 months ago #550359 by Stikkibeek
Covid-19 was created by Stikkibeek
What are others doing to minimize risk of exposure to this virus?
We had a home-kill done last Monday which was booked in in January, so will have meat in the freezer for quite a while. Usually keep some things like pasta and rice on hand, but got in some extra flour and will dig out the bread maker which has been in storage for a while. Had already done most of the wood for the winter, but there is a bit more e can do. Limiting visitors although welcoming phone contact so we don't isolate ourselves from some social contact with friends. Going to get our flu jabs early as both at risk. We'll not stop the virus of course, but, it should keep us free of known flu's and the viral pneumonia component of that jab may help in the event we do come in contact with an infected person.
Now the count is up to 28, there may well be a quickening of new cases. Wish the Government would also inform us of the people who have it and get over it. Could be a de-stress help to hear some positives. We have long used milk powder once the house cow is dry and we weaned her calf and dried her off early this year due to the drought. No milk powder to be seen in the supermarket today, although I was told they had it, just not unpacked yet. Guess we can go without milk if we have to.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #550360 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Covid-19

Stikkibeek wrote: ...the viral pneumonia component of that jab...

Please clarify? I understand that you can indeed get a vaccination against (viral?) pneumonia but it is not part of the influenza vaccine. Is this something new?
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Ruth.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550361 by Ruth
To answer your question, we intend staying out of the way as much as possible, although we do have a weekly class in town. That is likely to end up on-line, I think, as all such gatherings cease. We still need to go in for the 'flu vaccine at some point and we don't have sufficient stores of various types of animal feed to last more than a couple of weeks at a time, so that sort of shopping will still be necessary. If we could buy rain, we would.

Naturally we will build a toilet-paper fort.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #550362 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Covid-19
According to both my GP and chemist this is so, and late father-in-law used to have these shots, but bizarrely he contracted pneumonia not long before he died, but that was bacterial pneumonia not viral.

I flippantly told a cousin, that all those who rioted over toilet paper and hand sanitizer, could infact soak the toilet paper with the hand sanitizer and eat it, if they ran out of actual food. They ought to get a lovely alcoholic high on the papier mush! :))

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Stikkibeek. Reason: added

More
4 years 2 months ago #550363 by Ruth
I have suggested to my partner that it might be wise to isolate ourselves from each other, bearing in mind our separate movements in town today. He doesn't seem to accept the sense in my proposal.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550364 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Covid-19
If the house cow is dry you could sling a hammock in the cow bale and then draw straws on just who should occupy it. :P

More
4 years 2 months ago #550365 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Covid-19
I think we should all self isolate where we can. Whats happening in Italy can be prevented here.
Our borders are now closed, we dont yet have community spread. We have a golden opportunity to stop it in its tracks as much as possible,
The daily stats from Italy will be where the rest of europe will be in a couple of weeks . It seems only draconian action can stop the virus.
We have only 220 ICU units in NZ and these are already working at capacity. We dont have the medical capacity to handle anything like whats being experienced overseas.
So inconvenience early, like now, might challenge the spread of this virus

More
4 years 2 months ago #550366 by 16 Paws
Replied by 16 Paws on topic Covid-19
I believe you are referring to the pneumococcal vaccines. They help provide some protection against one group of bacteria that frequently cause pneumonia. There are lots of other bacteria that also cause pneumonia. There’s 2 different versions Of the vaccine and you need both for best protection. Neither is subsidised, so likely to cost around $ 300 or more. They are normally suggested for those who have had repeated chest infections.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550370 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Covid-19
Well after a great growing summer ( luckily I'm on town water with no restrictions) I have a freezer full of goodies and usually buy a few trays of meat when it on special so have plenty of food if we need to isolate further, We run a business from home so are already pretty isolated. The business is likely to be greatly impacted so my worries are financial rather than health related, although my OH if is the vulnerable group by age and health.
I am still meeting a friend to walk the dogs, but try to stay out of the shops as far as possible, and always wash hands when I get home. I haven't seen hand sanitiser or wipes in the shops for weeks so am relying on soap and water.
Reading the overseas press, we are fortunate here and I think the right thing has been done by closing the borders (in spite of the impact on our business.) Hopefully it is enough to contain it.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 2 months ago #550376 by VioletFarmer
Replied by VioletFarmer on topic Covid-19
I hurt my back on Tues, so stuck at home on pain killers and anti inflams for at week at least. We are both self employed, so we are a bit nervous about that going forward. But we live rurally and have a full freezer of meat + vege & a full pantry and large vege garden. Im asthmatic, my MIL has immunity issues, my SIL is diabetic, my partners grandparents have lung & old age to worry us (his Grandad will be 102 in a few months)- so our biggest worries are for our loved ones with health issues. We are pretty much self isolating already- we are lucky to be able to, no kids to keep from school etc. I have faith that if we just shut everything down asap- we will get through this quickly, but everyone needs to play their part. A drop or 3 of rain would be nice for us here in South Canterbury too, need to have a bit more grass growth before winter- the evenings are drawing in all of a sudden too!

More
4 years 2 months ago #550380 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Covid-19
Social isolation is my normal state so not much has changed. We have freezers full of meat, a productive veggie garden and if only I could make my own wine and multi-feed nuts I'd never have to leave the farm again.... I am very aware of just how lucky I am.

Looking at all the news from overseas I think we all need to do our bit to keep the community safe. As for the selfish panic-buyers....they need to get a grip and stop making things worse.

Kia kaha

Web Goddess

More
4 years 2 months ago #550381 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Covid-19
A slight change of direction, tongue-in-cheek just wondering if NAIT has been called in to help with tracing Covid 19 after all their experience tracing M.Bovis. Very similar situation-spread by direct contact, imported (farm to farm), mass gatherings etc.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
4 years 2 months ago #550382 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Covid-19
I think CV19 is here to stay and will be eventually regarded as just another type of flu. Eventually a majority will develop resistance, some won't and will suffer the consequences. Plenty of people die from normal flu. What worries me more is the political fallout from this, the American/Chinese already using a war of words over it.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 2 months ago #550384 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Covid-19
According to some UK expert on RNZ this morning they don't know if immunity to this virus will work like that yet.

More
4 years 2 months ago #550386 by Ruth
How many people do you know who have died of the seasonal 'flu? I have never known any and I've talked with only one person in the course of my casual survey on the question, who knew of a case in another country. We will all know people who die of this thing. It is not the same.

We attended a small gathering this afternoon, to bury the ashes of a friend. All but one person made sure to maintain distance. The careless person told Stephan that you could kill germs on your hands by rubbing them vigorously together and if you catch it, you can kill it by drinking hot water because the virus can't survive heat. I think the government should institute immediate, long-term imprisonment for such outrageous stupidity. Same person is quite happy to condone drunk driving. They're out there.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds