Dog proofing lifestyle block

More
4 years 1 month ago #550325 by NicknDee
We are about to pick up our 8week old Golden Retriever end of April, and was hoping for some suggestions on ways to dog proof the property to stop him from escaping out to the paddocks/driveway.

At the moment, we were planning to run 3-4 strands of electric tape fencing on the bottom of the standards, and do this around the lawns (keeping it there until the dog gets bigger). The house/lawns area and paddocks are separated by a 5 wire post fence with only the middle fence (~500mm high) being electric, which the puppy can easily sneak under, hence the eletric tape suggestion.

As for the driveway, I work mate of mine suggested running a zig-zag electric tape across a 4-5m length of the driveway which would deter any pets from wondering out of the driveway. Has anyone tried this with success?

other suggestions welcome

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550329 by Kalmara
For the driveway I'd suggest a gate. Electric can work, however I'd suggest that you invest in a proper wooden fenced area, or an electric containment unit. i.e. Innotek Boundary fence. These aren't always 100% effective & work better with training as well. No dog should be left outside unsupervised.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NicknDee

More
4 years 1 month ago #550330 by Furball
I'd second Kalmara's suggestion. Dogs are too good at finding ways under, over or round electric tape, and it should never be your only method of keeping them in. A fully fenced enclosure is the only responsible way of managing a dog being left alone in a rural environment.

It may sound like a hassle, or you may think it's overkill, or that it's harsh not to let the dog have the run of the property, but it only needs to get out once, and then you could have either a shot dog, or a dog coming back to your place covered in the blood of someone else's stock. A fenced enclosure is peace of mind, so it's worth investing some effort in.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550332 by Kilmoon
Fence your lawn and have your gates permanently shut or a neighbour will take care of said dog with lead poisoning. Bloody irresponsible of you to think that a dog will stay behind an electric fence.....it won't. Try a fully enclosed dog run when it's not with you on a lead.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550340 by viki
Replied by viki on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block
we have dog fencing its not hugely expensive and 5 foot gates on the driveways. We used to have the underground before but one dog did run through and once out was too scared to come back in. excuse the big dog in the pic but see the fence where its smaller on the bottom and then gets bigger so works for smaller dogs too.
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #550341 by NicknDee
Great thanks for the suggestions, after considering everyone's tips we've decided to put up physical barriers ie 1500mm durafence around the landscaping and a automated driveway gate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara

More
4 years 1 month ago #550346 by StephHarmon
Ye, that works better. That a lot safer and convenient, I am glad you found solution to it. :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #550371 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block
I would also take steps to make your dog "stock safe" ie train him not to chase other animals.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #550432 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block
We have just been looking after kids 5 month old pup.
Jumped over 1800mm high fence Good luck at 1500mm

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #550434 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block

linrae wrote: We have just been looking after kids 5 month old pup.
Jumped over 1800mm high fence Good luck at 1500mm

True that ( as my ozzie children say)

I once watched my dog, border collie cross, jump clean up a 1.8m retaining wall from a standing start. When we first went to get him (ex farm dog no good working sheep, ) the owner called him and he jumped up the post on the stock yards and over in 2 bounds. The post must have been 2 m high. Don't underestimate how high a big dog can jump.
We once had a dog who was an expert escaper who sadly got out one fireworks night and got run over, so it would pay to err on the side of caution

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #550450 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block
Good luck with the retriever they are brainless suggest you start training straight away
and be firm

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #550465 by NicknDee
Thanks, we have owned GRs for 25yrs just not in a lifestyle property. What i have learnt throughout these years is that it really comes down to the Owner and how they up-bring their animals and provide their animals with good early foundations and training.... kind of like kids. of course you will need to set the rules out early on. Ive found at least our GRs to have a huge sense of loyalty and obedience when we lived in the suburbs.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #550530 by Arko
Replied by Arko on topic Dog proofing lifestyle block
I'd fence off an area for example say from back door.This fence will also keep stock out , people out, and if you want you can leave door open.Just dont have fence with post or rails the dog can climb.This is assuming its more of a pet dog.Double self closing exterior side gate would be good also.ie go through one that closes then through next.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Arko.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds