Bloat?

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #550096 by Her outdoors
Bloat? was created by Her outdoors
I've got eight angusx weaner bulls who are looking like they have bloat, but are on fairly drought affected sand country pasture (no clover or even ryegrass), and are being fed off round bales of hay in their paddock. They look happy enough, chewing cud, etc, they're not the best calves we've ever done but could this be a lack of good bacteria in their stomach or something more sinister? Anyone had the same deal and what did you do about it? Trough additives? Will get onto the vet for their opinion, but curious about others experiences with this.

UPDATE: So went to get pics and they're all normal again! They've finished off the last round so perhaps it's just the hay this time. Never had any weaners we've done react like this, ie blow up, to any influx of feed. Usually our feed, while lower quality due to type, keeps everything on an even keel even with spring/autumn flushes (not that we'll be getting any autumn flush this year) and does the xbreds well—these ones are all over the shop. It's perplexing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Her outdoors. Reason: Adding pic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #550097 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Bloat?
Without seeing them, it sounds as though they are what are often termed as "potty" calves i.e. they have a pot gut. Are these dairy weaners (8-12weeks old at weaning) or beef weaners (6-8months old at weaning)? I'm picking dairy weaners and what they really need, you're not going to be able to give them - good grass!

If they were mine I would drench, irrespective of whether they have been or not, continue with the hay and buy in some reasonable quality grain feed to get the protein into them. If you have any grass at all, break feed it to them. Certainly speak to your vet as ill-thrift in calves can come from other sources such as mineral deficiencies, and they will be the best (hopefully) and knowing what is going on in your area.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
4 years 3 months ago #550099 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bloat?
Are you giving them fruit, bread, pellets, or maize too? If so the bugs in the gut need a while to get used to the higher simple sugars, so the new food has to be gradually increased.
I too would drench especially if you have had more than about 5 mm of rain recently. An oral drench will work better than an injection or pour-on.
But some extension of the rumen side of the animal (the left) is fairly normal, especially after cudding.

More
4 years 3 months ago #550100 by Her outdoors
Replied by Her outdoors on topic Bloat?
Thanks Ronney, but def not a pot gut situation this is up and out not not down and out. They're six month old now, we got them at four days old so hand reared with milk/pellets until twelve weeks, then more pellets, drenched regularly (first orally and then pour on). Overall they're doing ok, just look like they have bloat!

More
4 years 3 months ago #550101 by Her outdoors
Thanks Longridge, they're six months old so not getting anything other than grass (20acre rough paddock) and hay. We've never fed anything like fruit or bread! I'm used to some extension but this is more than usual, ie looks like bloat. Oddly the heifer we got from the same lot isn't doing the same thing (she's in with the cows, similar diet).

More
4 years 3 months ago #550102 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Bloat?
Please show us pictures if you can. What you see as bloat might be the effect of rumens full of hay taking a while to process. My cows on Kikuyu have always looked ridiculously blown up compared with Sue's similar-build but differently-fed cows who always ate rye and "normal" grasses. In that case the difference is the fibre content of the feed and the time the feed takes to work its way through their systems.

More
4 years 3 months ago #550103 by Jaybee
Replied by Jaybee on topic Bloat?
It sounds like their stomachs are just bigger because of the lower quality diet. I've noticed the same with my weaners.

As others have said, if they seem well and happy just give them a drench and hope for rain so you can grow some fresh grass for them.

More
4 years 3 months ago #550113 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Bloat?
Have you just started them on the bales in the paddock? We find that free access like this means they really gorge themselves and then go and let it digest. A bit different to if we are feeding out to them and the amount of feed is limited. Doesn't seem to do any harm other than the bales being eaten quicker.

More
4 years 3 months ago #550114 by Her outdoors
Yes, but they were doing this before the bales too—just on rough pasture—which is why I'm concerned.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds