Groundwater Issues in Canterbury, post-earthquakes.....

More
4 years 2 months ago #549793 by xylstra
Changes to Groundwarer Aquifers post-Christchurch earthquakes:
I have a curiosity question. I would like to know how the Christchurch earthquakes affected water well-bores in the area? Were many completely wrecked? Had the aquifer structure changed? Was re-drilling necessary - did it fix the problem - did the well have to go deeper? Did wells close to the coast suffer saline intrusion? Had previously separate aquifers linked-up due to fault-lines? What do hydrologists say about things now? How did the insurance companies respond to any claims? Did re-consent issues arise? What about shared wells that ran dry - any legal disputes?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549797 by Kilmoon
Unsure about Christchurch, but down here in Dunedin we noticed our seeps became much seepier and the local water pipeline (that takes water from Deep Stream into one of the Dunedin town water supply's reservoirs)....well it leaks like the proverbial sieve (much more than normal - a point we mentioned when chaps came up to find and fix several of its many leaks). They tried to dismiss our observations until I went through just how long the family has owned our block of land and thus the history we have of knowing where the water comes out of the ground during the various seasons. We felt the earthquakes down here and our seeps changed shortly afterward - very noticeably with one seep (enough that we have discussed digging it out for a pond). So if we, all these kms away have noticed changes to water flow....well Christchurch should have become Swiss cheese.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549801 by iSor
Just had this helicopter and Sky TEM equipment flying around mapping the aquifers in Hawke’s Bay the other day to measure differences in conductivity and resistivity in the materials that our aquifers are made up of using electromagnetic currents.
That will give us a more accurate picture of the state of our aquifers than the drilling data has provided up until now.
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #549851 by xylstra
Hi 'Kilmoon', I agree with you but very strange to have no other replies from Christchurch landowners (must all still be on holiday!). Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds