Agressive Wiltshire Ram

More
4 years 5 months ago #548927 by michelle84
Hi,

We have a 3/4 year old 100% shedding Wiltshire Ram who is very good at his job ( 2x twins and 1x triplets from 3 ewes this season).
I am keen to swap him for another Wiltshire Ram due to fact that next season he’d be mating with his granddaughters.
He is however very agressive - we have sticks at every gate, yesterday when i was crouching down by gate ( outside of paddock): he charged the gate with such speed and strength it knocked me back.
he normally runs with the ewes all year but we moved him out of the ewes paddocks just before lambing this year in case he hurt the lambs.

what i’m wanting to know is:
A) do we keep him and if so, is ‘inbreeding’ ok?
B) do we sell/swap him him but then how do get him onto trailer?

any advice welcomed

thanks
michelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548929 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
as per the other post on a similar topic, don't worry about inbreeding. However, if you can get hold of another possibly more friendly ram, give this naughty old fella the chop!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: michelle84

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #548930 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
I would definitely turn him into sausages or other meat, the damage a ram can do is tremendous. Have him shot in the paddock for home kill then you dont have to load him onto anything.
The last person I advised to do that because of his aggressive ram, kept him and ended up badly hurt in hospital
so the choices are yours.
I am suprised though at how many people value their ram's life above their own.
By the way, its not the ram that produces twins or triplets, its the ewes who produce the eggs, he only fertilises those eggs that are produced.
My gorgeous newly purchased ram dropped me in the paddock several years back. He was dog tucker the next day, its never worth the risk, especially on a small life style block
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by muri.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548932 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Don't keep him. If he has horns he is even more dangerous and sticks won't help if you are in his sights. Also they are very good jumpers and a fence might not stop him. We had this issue with a Wiltshire and he became very possessive of certain ewes and had no trouble jumping over yard gates. They are much stronger than we are so taking chances isn't a good option!

More
4 years 5 months ago #548937 by michelle84
Replied by michelle84 on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Hi he doesnt have horns, but he has just started running and jumping a bit. I did wonder if he could ever make the gate.

Maybe it is time for him to go.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548938 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
It sounds like you have made a good decision.
Please dont pass him on to someone else, a small child might be next in his sights, its really not worth the risk

More
4 years 5 months ago #548942 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Sausages!! Not fair to on-sell. If they knock you down they will continue to butt you. Once saw a fight between two rams when one got knocked unconscious. The victor just kept pounding him on the ground.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
4 years 5 months ago #548943 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Kill him before he kills or maims you or anyone else.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #548974 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Sausages or dog tucker before he hurts someone badly.

It's definitely not worth keeping a dangerous ram and you shouldn't sell him as he's likely to injure someone.

I keep our rams separate from the ewes until tupping time, they tend to be a lot easier to handle when they are not wanting to protect their ewes.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Baroque.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548987 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Yepp too dangerous to keep. I have just put up a post for options for killing/eating a wiltshire ram. Mine is very placid but I have two and only need one. Was your ram hand reared? They always seem to turn out bad.

More
4 years 5 months ago #549009 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Over the years I've had two that got stoppy with maturity...they both ended up in the freezer, as I felt it wrong to pass my problem on to someone else. One tasted fine...the other was a bit gamey [according to my partner].

More
4 years 5 months ago #549046 by Sitest
Replied by Sitest on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Just on the jumping issue, I put a small metal gate across my shed/garage as I like to leave it open during the day. It is one meter high and last month or so my very small wether cleared it without his hooves touching the top. It was impressive to see but as they eat metal and plastic a taller gate was quickly put up.
As far as aggression my stroppy 11 month old horned wether (not the jumping one) has scared my leg in an half hearted head butt, I would dread to think the damage he could do if not castrated. He is ok now with me and the dog, even though the other day he picked up my rabbit by the scruff and moved him aside from the food! Also the odd chicken has a few missing tail feathers when the mood takes him.
Think carefully and look after yourself first

More
4 years 5 months ago #549063 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Agressive Wiltshire Ram
Not maybe, it's definitely past time for him to go.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds