Carpet around trees

More
4 years 5 months ago #548771 by Stumpy68
Carpet around trees was created by Stumpy68
Have just started planting some natives on our block and have a lot of old axminster carpet I was going to use as weed mat around them. Read a blog from here a couple f years ago but didn’t see which way up to put the carpet? Any thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #548772 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Carpet around trees
This is a thread on it. www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/forum/plant-gro...or-weed-mat-any-good

We have used it here, it has done a great job, the backing is still around after a few years, but no weeds.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by spoook.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548773 by Stumpy68
Replied by Stumpy68 on topic Carpet around trees
Back up or backing down

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #548775 by iSor
Replied by iSor on topic Carpet around trees
I’ve put the pile down because I didn’t want to look at the blue carpet and also thought the lighter colour of the backing would keep the roots of the plants cooler. However, now the corners are curling up, and I have to push them down with dirt, so maybe if the backing was down it would be better at absorbing moisture instead of the water running off.
This lot of plants on a retaining wall have taken off and have done very well so I don’t think it matters, from my experience anyway.

With my planting being near the house, I intend to remove the carpet once the plants have spread over the ground more and replace them with mulch. I will then use those bits of carpet on my next project for weed suppression.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by iSor.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548782 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Carpet around trees
If the carpet is woollen the wool will rot and enrich the soil, so pile down? [You don't want rich soil atop your weed surpressant!]

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #548784 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Carpet around trees
Backing up. :-) Easier to peel away the remains if you want later, much, much later.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by spoook.

More
4 years 5 months ago #548797 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic Carpet around trees
Have tried both ..results show pile down works best, but choose carpet used for trees carefully: Axminster will be great however some of the cheaper man made carpets with rubber backing can stop the rain/water getting to the base of the trees so those are best used for veggie garden paths!

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds