Times up rats

More
3 years 10 months ago #552143 by John666
Replied by John666 on topic Times up rats
Muz1, how did you get on with the mirror idea for the rat trap?

OTOH, from Dr Google "Do mice like mirrors?" "This finding suggests that mice prefer mirrors. ... Placement of mirrors instead of the cage mates also showed stress-reducing effects, while restraint with unfamiliar mice did not reduce the hyperthermia. These results suggest that mirrors have familiar cage mate-like social effects in mice."

I came across this thread because I've been thinking about how to improve my rat and mouse kill rate - for about 10 years I've been using doc 200s, baited with Pestoff blocks, this seems to be quite effective. The Pestoff attracts the rats and the mice, the rats trip the trap, and the mice don't trip the trap and eat the Pestoff. I also have Pestoff bait stations on the ground around a couple of balage stacks. The problem with the Pestoff is that in damp areas slugs and snails seem to like it, and I'm increasingly concerned that anything that does eat the Pestoff is going to put that poison into the food chain for our native birds. I've tried different things to keep slugs and snails out the bait stations, but concluded that I should really avoid Pestoff if I can. So the Times Up rat trap is interesting and I'll get one.

(I had high hopes for the resettable Goodnature possum and rat traps but found them to be a waste of money. Slightly off topic about possums: I eventually did a side-by-side test with a KBL Timms trap and the Timms was much more effective. "10 out of 10 possums" preferred apple garnished with cinnamon or curry powder over the GN stuff. Great marketing spiel from Goodnature though.)

Has anyone tried the TimesUp moustrap from Mitre 10? www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/times-up-multi-catch-mouse-trap/p/296787

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #552145 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Times up rats
What i use for mice is two of those grey plastic "alligator" traps and set them with a little peanut butter but put them inside a closed times up trap. Mice easily slip through the mesh to get to the peanut butter, but cannot run off with the trap if they happen to catch a leg instead of their head or body when they trip it. Works well I'm on 8th mouse in three days with this system and the chooks enjoy the spoils as some added protein.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 10 months ago #552155 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Times up rats
The camera has not recorded any rat activity so I cannot say if mirror works or not. I had two baits taken a couple of days before activity stopped so I guess the poison has worked. Also found a gnawed hole in wall behind refrigerator that has been covered so maybe they can't get in now. Will keep mirror in place..

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
3 years 10 months ago #552156 by John666
Replied by John666 on topic Times up rats
Thanks Stikkibeek and Muz, much appreciated both of you.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #552341 by Stikkibeek
#90 today. I have shifted the traps from the chook houses where the pukeko were playing volley ball with the traps and put the traps down at the goat house after spotting one coming out of there during the last week. Extra numbers have been small ratlets, making me think that the warm winter we have had is set to cause and explosion of rat babies, so it was good to start getting them again after a spell with none. Only trap still in the chook yard is well disguised so the pukeko haven't found it yet, but the sparrows have. 5 sparrows all dead in the trap on Wednesday morning, after they got themselves locked in there overnight and the rain finished them off. I'm trialling a Drat, but all it has caught in 10 days is one mouse.
Make that 2 mice in 11 days

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Stikkibeek. Reason: Additional info

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #552967 by Stikkibeek
it seems a long time ago I got to 90 rats, and then i hadn't seen a sign of any in or near the hen houses and the pukeko were the only ones capitalizing on the small amount of chook feed i was leaving on the trip plate., So. I swung into action in the goat house as we were feeding some pre kidding meal and there was a rat tunnel along the exterior wall. Some seen but none caught. I was continuing to catch plenty of mice by shuttng two aligator snap traps inside the rat trap so they mice couldn't abscond with the light weight plastic traps. Chooks were enjoying the mice, that is until earlier this week I caught two, but forgot to take their carcases up to the hen runs and when I went back for them, both had disappeared. Knew I had another rat down there. Last Wednesday, #91, then last night a baby one in the Drat trap, (The only rat it has caught in months!) This morning a very large angry screeching rat in the Times up, safely dispatched and fed to the hungry hawks, so now the tally is 92 if you don't count the Drat catch. The fact I'm seeing almost none, suggests I've made a very big dent in the large rodent populationI'm exceedingly grateful to the person who recommended these last summer.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 years 7 months ago #552972 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic Times up rats
Been pretty quiet here on the rat front too since about July. I was getting lots and then it suddenly stopped ? Two neighbours away had a big clean up of long grass under trees and one neighbour away got some Doc200's as well as declared war on the mice that were feasting on their chook tucker all about the same time so I don't know what the real reason is ? Other side neighbour filled all their bait stations back then too. Getting the neighbours involved for a combined effort seems to work wonders, but it did go from boom to bust rather sudden and just seems too good to be true that we've had that much effect ?
Freedom campers were locked out of a small bush area a bit less than a kilometre away so I'm sure that helped too. The trash and waste they left behind caused a rat explosion in that area and reports of a big drop in rat numbers since the freedom campers have gone is encouraging.
I've only caught one mouse and haven't even had any bait taken now for a couple months, Doc200s haven't been tripped or bait taken either ? Cat hasn't even brought home any mice for quite some time either. Life is never boring though as I've been getting plenty of target practice on starlings over the last couple of weeks.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #552978 by Stikkibeek

To Do List wrote: Life is never boring though as I've been getting plenty of target practice on starlings over the last couple of weeks.

Oh Hum-bug.I Iove starlings. They eat a great many grass grub and ticks and are only just starting to get close to the large flocks we enjoyed as kids after they were decimated by the stupidity of spreading DDT. I have purpose built starling boxes to encourage them to be here.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 years 7 months ago #552983 by ZL2iFB
Replied by ZL2iFB on topic Times up rats
I'm not keen on starlings that nest - noisily - inside our roof, picking away at the lead flashing to gain access. We have lots of blackbirds, sparrows, Chinese quail, tui, bellbirds, a few chooks plus the odd stray pheasant to keep the garden grubs at bay so the starlings are, errr, superfluous, as are the magpies.

As to rats-n-mice, I'm happy with the www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/intruder-the-bett...2pk/p/138822Intruder grey plastic snap traps , baited with peanut butter. I drill a hole in the base and screw the mouse traps to scraps of board to avoid them going walkies. The rat traps are heavy enough to stay put, usually, and both types last for years. Peanut butter is most alluring when fresh so checking and re-baiting is a daily task when the critters are swarming, otherwise at least once a month. If the rat trap bait goes missing, that's because there are mice about.

We enjoy watching hawks ([url=hhttps://teara.govt.nz/en/birds-of-prey/page-4]hhttps://teara.govt.nz/en/birds-of-prey/page-4kāhu, swamp harriers[/url]) circling overhead and occasionally swooping on unsuspecting mice etc. More efficient and deadly than any trap!

More
3 years 7 months ago #552988 by Stikkibeek
Sounds as if you need some starling boxes to keep them out of your house! :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds