Times up rats

More
4 years 1 week ago #551483 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Times up rats
#74 and #75 in the last two days and last night when I went to shut the chooks in, I saw the largest rat I have ever seen. he just sat there eating a late apple, so I went and got the net, but alas, i hit a bit of the apple tree with the net, in the dark and he took off.
Think I need a DOC trap for him.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 day ago #551525 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic Times up rats
The best rat catching spot has only got 1 h'hog since I got that stoat there over 3 weeks ago now. It must have sprayed scent around the area as even changing traps hasn't changed my luck. In fact it's been lean pickin's overall since the stoat catch apart from a few mice.
But the rain 2 days ago bought change, nothing the day of the rain which has been normal but today it's all different again.
So as far as changing bait goes - I'm finding you need to change position and tactics as well. It seems whatever works good always has a limited life before they learn to avoid it.
I've stuck with the mouse trap inside the DOC200 idea thinking there must still be another stoat about ? No more stoats yet but here's a picture of what I found this morning. A large female Norway which is a rare catch ... nearly all the Norways I've caught were male ?
I read you got the bugger that eluded you with bait which is always good news !
Anyhow this mouse trap inside the rat trap might be a tactic you can try in the future ?
It certainly doesn't seem to catch the volume of ship rats I've been getting but it does appear to draw out the cunning elusive beasties.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #551610 by Stikkibeek
#76 today and at least three more spotted strolling around the place after dark.
These trail cameras people talk about. How much to set one up and where do you get a good value one? How do they work?

More
3 years 11 months ago #551613 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Times up rats
Hi SB, trail cameras have reduced in price as models improve. The one I have is a ''Moultrie'' brand but I can't give the model number as grandson has it monitoring his possum traps. Hunting & Fishing have them and Trade Me would be a look also. My one is action activated so that when a movement is sensed a photo is taken or a video is recorded night and day. Time between photos can be set and length of video can be set. Mine is waterproof so can be set up outside. I find when the camera is set close to where movement takes place the delay between sensing and activation sometimes allows the animal to move out of the picture or maybe just a tail is visible. Foliage can be a problem setting the camera off too. Captured images can be viewed on the small camera screen but are best transferred to a computer. I find it interesting viewing to see what has happened.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
3 years 10 months ago #551956 by Stikkibeek
After a bleak few weeks with no captures, I have now reached #80. Went to check the coop covers in the storm last night to make sure they were still anchored and saw a huge rat run across the chook yard. This was at 11.30 last night after it had been teeming and the wind was knocking Norfolk Pine seed off the nearby tree which was all clattering onto our roof. So, it surprised me that a rat was out at all. Anyhow it wasn't the big one that sprang the trap, but a pretty large one all the same, so, dispatched! :) :)

More
3 years 10 months ago #551961 by To Do List
I was wondering how others are doing this time of year ? Been real quiet here too with just 1 mouse about a week ago. Even the bait has been untouched for weeks ?
About 3 weeks ago I got that dead odour in one part of the house, I was more annoyed that a rat had got in the ceiling than the smell. A couple of days of that and I went up to investigate, no sign of rats but 5 dead mice in a 2m radius of the bait station and only 1 under the insulation ? That was the smell which I thought odd as mice don't usually smell much but the cool damp weather was just right for it,:sick: mice gone and so is the smell.B)
Getting the neighbours :) :cheer: :dry: :lol: onboard with trapping and baiting I'm sure has made a difference here. We're getting similar catches and similar quiet spells at similar times. Before they were onboard I'd get a constant catch rate with barely a week between catches in lean times, so it appears the neighbours were previously donating a steady supply they unknowingly had hiding out and breeding ? It's certainly an eye opener at the number of rats that are about even before they get to the point you actually see them !

Anyhow back to lack thereof at this time of year ?? I can't believe we simply caught them all ... they must be hiding somewhere ?
Anyone got any theories where they go or the change of habit during winter ? Of course some head indoors during the cold and wet but they then become easy targets. There's still somewhere or something different a large percentage do to avoid capture ... what is it ?:unsure:

More
3 years 10 months ago #552012 by Stikkibeek
Confronted by 4 little rats, feasting on scrap left over from feeding the hens, last night when I went to lock the chooks in. It was just on dark and they were completely undetered by the torch. So, I went ang rebaited the live capture traps and put them where the rats appeared to be coming from. Check 1/2 and hour later and 2 rats in one trap. Dispatched, rebaited and replaced and 20 mins later, #3 caught. Dispatched. Didn't get the fourth one however. but well satisfied by 3 in less than an hour. That takes my tally to #83
Hawks will have a nice snack this morning.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #552020 by Stikkibeek
#85 this morning. I do like those live traps for catching the young rats. They are far more curious and haven't had a chance to become trap shy. Two at once is also very good.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 years 10 months ago #552063 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Times up rats
Got this one yesterday after 3 weeks of trying and empty traps. 430mm long :)
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #552064 by smudge
That's a terrible pic Smudge

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #552065 by Stikkibeek
it's a good rat though Smudge. (any dead rat's a good rat) what kind of trap did you use?

Tally is now #86. That's 6 young rats caught in the last few days, so either a nest of them, or, i have a new generation sweeping through the property and set to explode.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Stikkibeek. Reason: Additional stuff

More
3 years 10 months ago #552076 by Muz1
Up date-since last post have caught 1 in live capture trap in problem room and 1 in leg trap outside. Now have another rat in problem room ignoring trap - seen looking in the trap but not going in. Will try different baits again.

More
3 years 10 months ago #552082 by To Do List
Hey Muz1 your experiments and the results or lack of are quite interesting and quite helpful too.
Just had a crazy idea I've not tried but would be interesting as you have a camera to see the result ...
as you have critters that look in but aren't interested in the food ? Wonder if vanity might be there
downfall ? What about a small mirror in the cage ... some animals run from mirrors but many are super
inquisitive and can't help but take on the other fella in the mirror that looks just the same. :silly: :woohoo:

More
3 years 10 months ago #552086 by smudge
It was a leg hold trap set on the run it was using. It wasn't touching spring traps or cage traps

More
3 years 10 months ago #552117 by Muz1
Good idea TLD. Will try mirror although have not seen rat last two nights so think poison has worked.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds