Times up rats

More
4 years 1 month ago #550664 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Times up rats
The one pictured is a Norway rat (Rattus Norvegicus). Stikki's are probably Rattus rattus, commonly called ship rats, roof rats, or black rats. The latter are much better climbers than the Norway ones, but not as big.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550679 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Times up rats
Yes-1 down. Resorted to a leg trap to get this big sucker. Just placed on a run with no bait. Camera showed activity elsewhere as leg trap placed out of sight so cat could not reach. I have cage trap baited with peanut butter, cat pellet food stuck to it and some bacon wrapped around it. Will have to change bait as no interest.shown on camera. Last success was with licorice all sort/peanut butter. I will continue baiting the good nature trap until my ordered gas canister is delivered. Camera shows rat taking bait up into trap. Have also ordered today ex Mitre 10 a Times Up cage. It was listed as essential item.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
4 years 1 month ago #550697 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Times up rats
I've adjusted the hair trigger on the "Times Up" trap as you suggested, Stikkibeak, but no luck so far. That's probably because I got impatient and whacked a bait station there, so they're likely all dead now. Have caught 3 juvenile Black rats in a tunnel trap with a DOC 250 - I was actually targetting rabbits with that, but I'll take what I can get.
And yup, Muz, you won't get many kills out of a goodnature if it's got no gas :-)

More
4 years 1 month ago #550698 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Times up rats
Now 67. Yay! But to be fair, the cat caught one in the yard and the chooks finished it off!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 1 month ago #550963 by Stikkibeek
Rat #70 a few days ago. it was living in the garden shed and had made a nice nest out of hay in a chook hospital cage i keep in there. Took a few days of enticement, but i got him. he was a pretty large one.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550964 by Muz1
Gee SB, I wish I had your luck. My gas trap now has gas but the little grey bastard is not interested in the bait. The camera shows rat activity but no intention of going into traps. Have even tried poison block as bait in trap as they are supposed to be irresistible but no luck. Have removed all food sources other than the traps and tried various baits. Not sure where to from here.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #550988 by Stikkibeek
Rat # 71 He has eaten his last cucumber! And now Hawky has had a rat and salad sandwich. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550990 by Muz1
My update. Cleaned shed yesterday where rat problem is. Found nest with 11 little buggers with eyes not quite open. Mum rat got away but showed up in camera last night so still have a problem. Have Victor traps, Good Nature, Times Up, leg trap and an old cage trap which has worked ok in past but none have worked with this rat. Baits tried include peanut butter, bacon, cheese, licorice allsorts, wet cat food, dry cat food fruit, rat poison blocks and Good Nature rat bait. I have moved traps, and re-mounted the Good Nature trap as others have suggested. Guess will just keep trying.

More
4 years 1 month ago #550997 by Stikkibeek
Ah! 11 babies is a hideous problem. try some fruit options in your traps such as carrot, or lemon peel. You need to find out what its preference is, as not all rats are protein eaters. The one I recently caught, liked cucumber.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #551052 by Stikkibeek
Rat #72 this morning and the hugest rat i have ever seen. Stretched out he would have been more than 30cm snout to tail and weighed around a kilo.
Huge, fat, dead!

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #551054 by Muz1
Resorted to poison bait last night. Set it on a wire in view of camera. Rat came and did not show interest in poison bait and again no interest the traps. Not sure what it is eating as have eliminated all other food sources I can. GRRRRR!

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #551057 by Stikkibeek
Be patient. it took a week for me to capture number 72.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #551058 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Times up rats
Congratulations, Muz1. You have the smartest rats in NZ. Maybe you should volunteer them to ZIP to test their latest traps on!

In all seriousness though, rats are highly neophobic (suspicious of new things) It can take them a couple of weeks to get over this fear enough to investigate a new object in their world, so don't expect them to immediately rush over and eat your bait the first night you put it out. Give it a while.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #551300 by Stikkibeek
#73 today. i am however having trouble now with pukeko some of which have discovered that if they tip over the rat trap, they get a snack of whatever i have baited the trap with. Going to be some culling I thin, even though I like pukeko, I do not like the destruction they sometimes embark upon. They have very strong claws and beaks and can wrench the trap out of pretty tightly placed positions.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #551385 by Muz1
Yea! got the bugger. Ended with dead rat from poison and have not seen rat action on camera for 6 nights now. Can't say which trap/bait choice is best from my experience but will continue with set traps anyway. The addition of anise to peanut butter as suggested on another post is an option I will try.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds