Times up rats

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #549679 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Times up rats
Rat #55 dispatched this morning and he was a monster! Went to lock the chooks in last night to discover my elderly Araucana, which had been ailing for some days, had expired on her way to bed. That I wasn't upset about as I knew her time was coming, but what got me was evidence that an opportunistic rat had started to eat her. Set the trap and now he will be fodder for a hawk, so that circle will be complete.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #549682 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Times up rats
Good to hear of your rat killing skills. I am up to 725 confirmed rat kills myself (along with over 900 other pests removed, poor buggers), mainly using the victor traps with a corflute tunnel that keeps the birds out. However I have a question for those that use the Goodnature A24 traps. Most people seem to love them but comment on the lack of dead ones piled beneath. In using the victor traps there are tons of dead ones left behind. Occasionally the whole trap goes missing despite being pegged down but this is rare. Has anyone set up a camera to see these traps in action? I'd be interested to know if the counter kills are real kills.

More
4 years 3 months ago #549683 by Stikkibeek
So what makes a Victor trap any better than an ordinary snap trap? I can see the sense of having it in a cage. Both from safety point of view and also to prevent rats running off with it if they get caught by a leg or something.

More
4 years 3 months ago #549684 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Times up rats
Hi Stikkibeek, I use the victor traps because they have more snap, the plastic ones lack quick killing power and I have caught a couple of stoats in my victors and I am sure a plastic one couldn't do that. The cages I use have a hole in one end which the ratus enters thru so it approaches the trap from the business end. I have never caught one by the leg. The cage is there to stop birds getting caught. I use cages made from corflute so I can carry 20 or so into the bush at a time, plus they are dirt cheap to make, if not free.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #549688 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Times up rats
Good question about the Goodnatures. There are videos of the traps killing rats on their website, but of course that's not an unbiased source :-)

I haven't set up cameras, but I have come across dead rats underneath my Goodnature traps that haven't been scavenged away, and these corpses seem to match with the counter count mostly (but see below) i.e. if I see a fresh dead rat and then check the counter, the count has gone up by one. This is happening more often as I kill more mustelids, hedgehogs and feral cats, as the things that would scavenge the rat away are less numerous.

I have come across one instance of the opposite problem, in that I found a dead rat under a Goodnature and the counter was still reading "zero" So I can confirm under-counting in one case. I sent the counter back to the company and they said it was working, so... I dunno. Rat was still dead, so I guess it was a win.
One thing to note is that A24's will also kill mice and count them as a kill, so if you're not seeing dead rats, that may be a contributing factor. If someone was thinking about getting a Goodnature I would always recommend that they get a digital counter as well, as otherwise you really don't know how many times it has gone off, and you're likely to get really disheartened by not actually seeing dead bodies. That's one thing the Victors are really good for - you get the immediate reward by seeing the dead pest.

Also, Neil, you're amazing - excellent work on the pests! I can't match your numbers there, though I did get five ferrets over Christmas. (Ho, ho, ho)
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Furball.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #549878 by Stikkibeek
Up to rat #59 this week. I was wondering what had been eating my tomatoes in the greenhouse. Put out some slugbait and it all disappeared which doesn't usually happen if slugs are about, and, no sign of a dead slug. (We have those big tiger slugs here) So, I suspected a rat. Set trap, 3 babies later, I'm still hopeful I'll catch the parent. The other baby was out by the chook run where I caught the monster a couple of weeks ago.
So, the battle goes on.
5 ferrets is a good catch Furball.

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549883 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Times up rats
Just had a battle with a family of rats in our freezer shed room. We feed the cat in there and noticed the dry food disappearing faster than usual and the plastic water bowl tipped over at times. Put down a standard trap plus borrowed a cage trap and a Good Nature trap. Also set up my trail camera to monitor what might be happening. Turns out 4 rats so far, two biggies and two half grown. The cat caught the smaller ones and the cage trap caught the two biggies. Nothing on the camera last night so hopefully all gone, While the rats were around, the camera showed rats inspecting the gas trap all over but not far enough up the spout to trigger the plunger. The bait was new, I tried pre-baiting, sticking cat pellets to the bait, placing a ramp up to the trap hole and lowering the trap on the mount. Not sure what else i could do to get the gas trap working.

Everything Must be Somewhere
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZL2iFB

More
4 years 2 months ago #549885 by Furball
Well, that's a very discouraging thing to see. Well done on persevering and getting them, despite the Goodnature lure not attracting them. Clearly you have smart rats that don't like chocolate. If you suspect there are still some left, try mounting the trap on a narrow plank set at a 45 degree slant, instead of vertically - My most successful trap is set on a tree branch at a 45 degree slant, so the rats just walk along the branch and keep on going up into the trap. Don't worry, the rats won't stay in the trap once they have been hit - muscular spasms flick them out. Some peanut butter as a lure might help, too.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549896 by Stikkibeek
#60 and 61 this morning. One in the trap and the cat presented me with the other by placing it on the hallway carpet and then coming to tell me about it. Bless!

More
4 years 2 months ago #549905 by Muz1
Quick up-date. Altered Goodnature mount to 45 degrees but have not had any rat sightings on the camera since. Will have to wait for more rats to see if mount change worked.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549906 by Furball
I love this! This is real "citizen science" stuff. I will be super-interested to see if you get better results, Muz1

In that line, I have bought a trap like yours, Stikkibeak, and have set it near an active rat burrow to test its performance. I am using peanut butter as bait. So far it has only caught 1 rat in 2 weeks (a juvenile black rat) although I have found it triggered (closed but empty) three times. Do you have any tips on how to improve its catch rate? I know there are still rats living in the burrow, so I can experiment.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #549908 by Stikkibeek
Two of ours worked really well from the getgo, but one was a hair trigger and even a chook walking past or the wind blowing would set it off. OH got a hold of the bit that runs along the "roof" part with a pair of vice grips and held it while he bent the hook ever so slightly.
Some rats are fruit eaters or grain eaters and other protein. so peanut butter aside, you can also use a little bit of meat/chicken/fat cut from that steak :) cheese, or, chook food/grain/porridge/oats/wheat/weetbix whatever you have, jam/carrot/fruit and you can carefully cover with with something or place in a pipe leaving both ends visible. I swap around what I have, but mostly use a kibbled grain mix of barley and corn with a little molasis in it. Place alongside a fence or wall, where ever they run. That bent wire where it goes behind the treadle plate needs to be set quite fine. and you can alter that by squeezing the loop down, that holds the treadle down on the spring just a little. (or lift that loop just a little if too fine) Sometimes a strong rat may move triggers around when trying to escape. Think like a rat and try and outsmart them!:evil: :lol:

Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 2 months ago #549912 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Times up rats
Nothing better than getting rid of rats. I got a big one a couple of months ago with the help of our baby ram and a shovel. The rat came out into the paddock and was eating the sheep pellets I'd put out for the lambs, Frappe our baby ram took exception to this and chased it towards me.

When it came through the gate into the yard I was ready with my shovel and brained it. B) Exit one rat.

To give you the idea of size, I wear a size 9 steelcap.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZL2iFB

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #550661 by Muz1
Bloody rats are back.Still have Good Nature trap mounted at 45 degrees but have lowered it so rats don't have to reach so far. Had seen them on camera reaching into the trap but no results. Changed bait to dry cat food rather than GN rat bait. Thought should check gas and yep-no gas. Have cage trap so will persevere until can get gas. Cheeky rat ran across me in bed one night so battle is on!! Have caught about 50 mice in last 30-40 days and still catching. Rabbits digging everywhere also-I'm under attack.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #550662 by Stikkibeek
We too have rabbits everywhere. Only happened since our new (and stupid neighbour) shot of most of the hare that we loved to have around here. When you have hare, they tend to keep rabbits out of their territory,
I've caught two rats in two days, but only babies. The bigger rats are about but have got trap shy. Must try swapping out the bait for something new.
Takes my tally to 65 since I last posted the results.

Baroque, that's a very different coloured rat to what we get. Ours are dark grey on top with light creamy white underbelly.

Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Stikkibeek.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds