Times up rats

More
4 years 8 months ago #548233 by Stikkibeek
Times up rats was created by Stikkibeek
Don't want to sound like a certain rat trap promotions officer, but following the recommendations of other LSBers, I have caught so many rats this season with those live capture traps, that the tally is now round 30. recently catching partly grown babies I must have made at least a ding on the population. Little one this morning was very angry, :angry: trying to bite the end of the rifle and pinging around the trap which made it difficult to get in a clean shot. Eventually he stopped and was humanely dispatched. Another snack for a hungry hawk.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #548238 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Times up rats
That's great! I have been slack with mine and need to get back into the routine.

More
4 years 7 months ago #548533 by Fantail estate
Replied by Fantail estate on topic Times up rats
I’m trying to get ontop of my rat problem! My best tactic at the moment is just shooting them out of the trees at night. But it’s a 1 per night kinda slow progress.
What’s the benefits of these live traps over a standard rat trap?

More
4 years 7 months ago #548547 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Times up rats
Could you perhaps post a link to these live traps? They sound interesting.
Myself and my neighbour have had good results with the Goodnature A24, and one of my other neighbours swears by the DOC200 - he baits it with dogfood and has got 7 rats in the last week. I prefer the A24's because they reset, so they keep killing rats while you're asleep or on holiday and there's no need to keep checking them.

More
4 years 7 months ago #548548 by Fantail estate
I’ve also thought about the A24. Does yours work well? Well enough to justify the price tag?

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #548549 by Furball
They do work pretty well. I feel that you have to get a digital counter for each trap (I have a network of traps) as the bodies get scavenged away, so if you don't have a counter, you'll look at the trap and think it's doing nothing, which is a bit disheartening. Placement is also important - I have one trap which kills 3x what any of the others do, so it's obviously in a place that rats are fond of going to. They are very robust, as I have had them go completely underwater for weeks when the river floods, and they worked perfectly after the water went down.

I like the "set them every 6 months and forget about them" aspect. I was out planting trees the other day and smelt a decay pong, and found it was from a rat carcass under one of my A24's. It was just getting on with quietly killing rats where it was, needing zero input from me.

One thing though, it's quite useful to have one set up as portable, so you can move it around and put it into sheds and so on. Don't pay money for the official stand that they sell - it's really easy to make your own stand out of wood scraps to have the trap at a 45 degree angle, for free.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Furball.

More
4 years 7 months ago #548558 by Fantail estate
Awesome! I’m going to try one out.
Thank you

More
4 years 7 months ago #548559 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Times up rats
regular poisoning works well, I nail the blocks to a board so I can easily check to see if it's being eaten. Wild cats help too. I like the idea of the automatic traps but they seem to be quite expensive. It's about time local authorities offered a subsidy?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #548562 by Fantail estate
We have dogs, so unfortunately poison is out..
I’ve ordered an A24 so let’s see how it goes!

More
4 years 7 months ago #548570 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Times up rats
Well my experience with the Good nature A24 has not been a good one. It has caught just two rats in three years, yet they are here in big numbers as the "Times-Up' can testify. I now have a tally of 37 and two days ago caught two in one trap. I might try shifting the A24 down to the creek where it is away from other food sources such as the orchard and the chook pens.
Here's a link to the times-up traps Times-up remember they are live capture, but disposal is easy. I just turn the trap on its side and ping with air rifle. Quick and humane. Just be careful not to aim at rat if the mechanism is behind them or you might damage it.
I caught a huge one in the landing net a few nights back. He was dispatched with a pedicure. He was too cunning to be caught with the trap, but made the mistake of entering the hen house after dark. I carefully place the landing net over the pop-hole and switched on the torch. in his panic to escape, he ran right into the net and the hawks enjoyed him for breakfast the next morning.

More
4 years 7 months ago #548578 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Times up rats
the Times Up looks much like a slightly smaller version of a cat trap, what bait did you use? It's certainly a good price.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #548580 by Stikkibeek
I read that there are two types of rats when it comes to bait. One likes protein and the other fruits or grain, so I mix up the types of bait I use. Sometimes a small amount of 50/50 which is kibbled barley and maize with molasses, layers pellets, and also a bit of orange peel, or peanut butter, or, the small scraps of fat off meat raw or cooked. Bacon rind etc. Rats eat a wide range of foodstuffs.The last two I caught had some hard boiled egg yolk on offer. A little bit of macaroni cheese also good. Whatever you have really. If they don't touch it, change to something else.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #548585 by Furball
Hi Tonybaker. I guess it depends why you are killing rats. If it's just because you don't want them chewing wires and pipes and destroying your stuff, then having wild cats around would be fine. If you're doing it because you are protecting our wildlife, then cats are worse than the rats, so aren't a solution in that case.

Stikkibeak, your A24 should be doing much much better than that - mine are catching heaps every month. It must be extremely disappointing. Could I suggest that you get some rat detection chew cards and put them about the place to see where the rats feel safe, then move the trap to one of those places? Also, are you using the new ALP (automatic lure dispenser) in it? This dribbles out a bit of chocolate every day so the lure is kept fresh and attractive to the rats. If you mainly have ship rats, putting it on a sloping tree branch may also improve success, as ship rats climb a lot. I apologise if these are things you've already tried, but it's weird that yours is working so badly when they work so well round here. Maybe it's defective and needs to get a check-over by the manufacturer? It's highly annoying to pay that much and not get the results.

p.s. Thanks for the link to the live catch trap. I will get one and give it a go!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Furball.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #549630 by Stikkibeek
Rat #53 dispatched this morning!

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
4 years 4 months ago #549632 by Furball
That's awesome! Big ups!

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds