Lambing all done - Happy Lifestyler

More
4 years 9 months ago #547520 by Monteiro
5 weeks ago we had our first experience lambing, very stressful! Unfortunately, the 1st twins didn't survive. But my word we are so happy with lambing 7 healthy lambs - 1x ram and 6x ewes! I thank everyone who gave me very knowledgeable advice and encouragement! I'm docking their tails this weekend, do you reckon I can do the vaccinations a week later not to stress them out?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547523 by VioletFarmer
It's a simple and quick jab with the vaccine & one of the main reasons that they need it, is because they are at risk right after docking/ tailing. So you should do it at docking in my opinion, get them all in once, handle them once, job done. We have had two lots of twins over the weekend, the other two ewes haven't bagged up yet, so a few weeks off for them yet
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monteiro

More
4 years 9 months ago #547525 by LongRidge
Were the mothers vaccinated pre-lamb? If not then it is rather important that they be vaxed before or at tailing. Vaccination does not kill lambs 99.99999% of the time. One of your lambs might be that one lamb in a million, but I doubt it. Stress at tailing does kill lambs sometimes, mainly in big flocks that have ewes with multiple lambs where the more agile one runs off with the ewe, and the weaker one gets lost from mum.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547526 by Stikkibeek
Those 6-1 vaccines have an anti tetanus component. Very important at docking.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 9 months ago #547527 by 16 Paws
I might be wrong, but always thought the 5 in 1 was given at weaning - if the lambs were from vaccinated ewes. If the ewes were not vaccinated the month or so prior to delivery, then it’s “lamb vaccine” that’s needed. It gives short term protection for tetanus quickly, but doesn’t give long term protection. The 5 in 1 gives long term protection but takes weeks for that to develop, and a booster shot a month later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monteiro, STAPLENZ

More
4 years 9 months ago #547529 by LongRidge
Are you able to get Lamb Vax any longer? That was for protection from Pulpy Kidney I think, but when it was no longer made or not enough was made (whichever the case) it was considered that 5-in-1 would give protection against PK until the first 5-in-1 is given at weaning. It is considered that at tailing the lamb is too young to get a good "take" of the first "sensitizer" injection. So if the ewes had 5-in-1 a couple of weeks before lambing, vaccinating the lambs at tailing will boost the PK antibodies, and if the ewes were not done then it might give a lesser protection against only PK. The lambs that are going to be kept so are given 5-in-1 at tailing must be vaccinated at weaning, and again more than 4 weeks later.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547531 by Monteiro
Unfortunately, I did not get to vaccinate the ewes before lambing. I was just concerned vaccinating and docking at the same time because of one of our LSB members mentioned she lost some lambs straight after doing it. Your advice has never failed me so I will do both this weekend. It's my first time docking/tailing so I will need help! Luckily my neighbour offered to assist so I can learn.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547532 by LongRidge
Your advice has never failed me .... ummm, thanks but I often change my mind, so you must have chosen the ideas that have worked for you so far :-).
The following user(s) said Thank You: STAPLENZ

More
4 years 9 months ago #547533 by Monteiro
That's the beauty of your advice, I have choices! Thanks for that!
I am very grateful for everyone's advises on LSB!

More
4 years 9 months ago #547534 by 16 Paws
Lamb vax does appear to be available again. It protects against tetanus ( definitely wise if you’re docking) and pulpy kidney. It gives quick protection which is better than protection in 4-6 weeks which is what 5 or 6 in 1 will do. Better than nothing of course, when nothing was the only alternative. But check with your vet which product will give best protection please.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547536 by Monteiro
I found Lamb Vax at our local vet - Kumeu area. They said they have heaps. Might help if you in the area.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547541 by LongRidge
If the vet will loan you an injector and charge you for what is used then use LamVax,

More
4 years 9 months ago #547543 by Monteiro
My one lamb is 5 weeks and the rest 3-4 weeks old, can I still dock their tails with the band?

More
4 years 9 months ago #547544 by LongRidge
From my observations of more than 20 years, the older the lamb the less it appears to suffer from the rings. I think that this is because the tail and testicles are larger so the blood and the nerves are constricted much sooner. Note that the research that has been done does not support this idea, but I think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the research.

More
4 years 9 months ago #547552 by Mudlerk
My experience...from only half as many years...is just the opposite.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds