Unidentified thing in microscope

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #546634 by STAPLENZ
begga , i just got a "D-" i was going to say nematodirus, ... nevermind lol...
fliphtml5.com/efje/dbwt/basic ..also
www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-onlin...at.html#fecal-matter ,
also this thread has some excellent info www.backyardchickens.com/threads/doing-f...ats-at-home.1047614/
www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-onlin...fecal-flotation.html

fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm#eggphotos basic starter info,

this vid is doing a feacal float test (for a chameleon) using a fecalizer,fecalizers are available from amazon.com. (not amazon austraila).search AmexDrug fecal kit. ($23 USD for 50)

a salad spinner can be used for a centrifugal gadget ... then no salads lol ...(recommended centrifugal speed is 2000rpm for two mins ) not sure if a salad spinner could do this) but i think the centrifugal thing is only needed for a sedimentry test not a float test ( please correct me if wrong )

has anyone noticed on their machanical stage , that the numbers dont look correct , eg line up 0-0 and the 10 doesnt line up as in pic,
the reason for this , is u can use this to measure 1/10 of a mm this guy in this vid explains here ,

though this is not really relevent for fecs , it may be relavant for someone someday , doing a autopsy etc , to measure a thickness of the aorta heart valve etc .
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by STAPLENZ. Reason: adding more newbie info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #546635 by STAPLENZ
@spoook , do u make ur own solution , or do u buy it premade ?? does the vet sell it ?

hint for float test , It is important to avoid trapping air bubbles under the slide. This can be prevented by placing one side of the coverslip in contact with the tube and then slowly lowering the coverslip by gradually reducing its angle over the meniscus of the sample.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by STAPLENZ.

More
4 years 10 months ago #546637 by STAPLENZ
fliphtml5.com/efje/dbwt/basic shoof have the mcmasters slides , perspex, $59.00, aliexpress has a calibrated slide that could be used (imho ??) for $15 ... www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32917085035.ht...0.0.0.ce492e0efGoGId

More
4 years 10 months ago #546643 by 16 Paws
I think (haven’t got my hands on one to see yet) but believe the McMaster slide allows the eggs to float in a particular way. The concentric one won’t. And won’t allow your results to be compared with others for quantification. Apparently sugar, salt, or epsom salt solutions all work equally well. But the sugar solution is sticky and worse for clean up
The following user(s) said Thank You: STAPLENZ

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #546647 by STAPLENZ
Thankyou 16 pawsB) B) B)

do a fec before drenching, followed by a second fec test 7-14 days later , depends on type of drench used ,
7 days pyranel, ..
benzimidazoles 10 days
ectins 14 days ,
a reduction of less than 90 -95 % indicates resistance to that drench in that animal
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by STAPLENZ.

More
4 years 10 months ago #546654 by spoook
Staplenz, I do make up my own solution for the flotation of the eggs. I use plain salt, sodium chloride, and keep adding it to clean water until it will not longer dissolve, making a saturated solution. If you always have a little salts in the bottom of the bottle, you know it is saturated. (hint....keep it topped up each time you use it so it is always ready for the next sample)

You will need a McMaster slide as the sample sits between the two slides and the eggs float to hit their "heads" on the top slide, thanks to the "dead sea" you have put them in. ;-)

Take a 2gm sample, mix with 28mls of flotation solution, mushing well to break down all the matter you have collected, pour through a tea strainer, obviously now kept for this use only, into a small bowl.
Let sample sit to allow the air bubbles, created by the mashing, to rise and disappear. There is nothing as difficult as trying to count eggs among a zillion air bubbles. :-O

With a pipette, zig zag stir and suck up enough to fill one side of the slide. Now zig zag stir again to fill the other side.
Do not stir round, this will caused all the matter to collect in the centre of the sample. You are looking for even distribution. (hint... do not dispose of the pot of sample at this point)

When you place the slide under the microscope you will be focusing on the top slide with the squiggly pattern etched in creating the columns of the cell you will be counting. Once the lines are in focus, the eggs will also be in focus. If you have 1 or 2 air bubbles in the sample, that will make focusing easier as once you have the black surround of the bubble in focus, you are set to start counting. (hint... if there are many air bubble, empty the slide back in the sample pot, let sit and reload the slide as before)

Do not try to focus below the surface of the slide, the eggs will not be there, you will only be looking at cellulose matter and what ever the animal has been eating. Literally you will be deeper in the sh1te ;-)

With the two cells you should have around the same count in each side. If they are vastly different it might pay to empty the slide back into your sample bowl, zig zag stir and reload the slide to count again.

Take the two totals of the cells, add together and multiply by 50. This will give you your eggs per gram of faecal matter.
Anything over 1000 should be drenched. Anything under should be checked again in about 10 days to see if the count is increasing, static or falling.

If you have any reason to believe your drench may not be working, take a sample and count, drench and take a sample at 10 days after drench. This should be zero if the drench is working.
If not ......
it could mean that the drench is no longer effective,
it was not administered at the correct rate for weight
or it is still working as the count was so high prior to drenching.

Let me know if this is able to be followed or I am talking gibberish. Happy times getting sore backs and tired eyes.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 16 Paws, STAPLENZ

More
4 years 10 months ago #546692 by STAPLENZ
how many people out there seriously interested in buying a genuine mcmasters slide??, the reason im asking is that just found their website , each slide is $20 USD , and postage for 1 or up to 10 slides is $30 USD .. if 3 others were seriously interested we could get them for about $27.50 USD each , which is $42.43 NZD each plus $3.50 postage to each individual ....???

More
4 years 10 months ago #546694 by STAPLENZ
sorry people , retraction , theres copycats that are making these mcmasters microscope slides (mcmasters cant have patented the name) ..
ive now got no idea whats genuine and whats not sorry (quote from one genuine macmasters slides website "when we set out to make the best McMaster slide, we solved problems inherent of most McMaster slides on the market"")... ...
they are $59.00 from shoof plus postage , surely shoof will be getting the correct ones...

More
4 years 10 months ago #546696 by 16 Paws
I’ve got one ordered from shoof, via a local stockist. Seemed like the best option.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #546912 by STAPLENZ
please help , im doing my first fecal float today , no idea what im doing , cant see any eggs at all , can see air bubbles, cant see any plant matter,(edit had microscope light in wrong place , didnt realise it was moveable lol) is it possible it was over strained , i used a very very fine mesh strainer, ??
Two hours later, I'm back at microscope, left first slide on microscope, in two hours it's grown what looks like seaweed..?? Another question.. What is fresh?? When I first did the float thing it was 5 mins walk from sheep bum, to house, followed float test instructions and had fresh sample under scope in about 20 mins from sheep bum.
2 hours later is it still fresh?
two new samples this time from cow ,one strained with one layer chux cloth , other strained with strainer pictured, both now showing lots of plant matter , but still cant find any eggs... but my scope only goes to 400x should i be able to see eggs at 400x?? its got a bigger 950x lens but this is a secondhand scope and that bigger lends seems to full of dust or somthing ??
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by STAPLENZ. Reason: Adding pic of strainer

More
4 years 10 months ago #546913 by 16 Paws
I’m wondering if it’s a time of year thing. I’ve done a couple and seen nothing other than a few coccidia ( similar shape but smaller). I think I saw in one of your other posts that you are in Southland too? So maybe it’s just too cold and wet at the moment?
I found this video really useful.
. It’s related to the link I posted higher up the page. 100x is recommended (10 x on eyeviewer, plus 10x on objective lens). Two hours would count as fresh, as per the video. Reminder - I’m trying to figure this out too, so could be blind leading the blind here, but I think the stainer looks ok. The chux cloth definitely is mentioned as an ok option
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillNZ, STAPLENZ

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #546917 by spoook
How did you get on with your FECs? Were the air bubbles in focus? A clear black ring surrounding a clear centre.
If so, the eggs would have been in focus too.
If you change the focus you can go deeper into the sample and see what is at the bottom, providing the sample is clear enough. ;-)
You do not need to be THAT fresh. ;-) Straight from the source is great but a day or so in the fridge is fine.

Maybe your magnification is too great. Set it to the lowest, in my case 4X ,you should see the eggs, move the lens to 10X to see the image better.
Here are a few images I managed to get in a sample I have just done.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by spoook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STAPLENZ

More
4 years 10 months ago #546932 by STAPLENZ
@ spoook , thanks heaps for the excellent pics !!! i cant take pics sorry my old cheap scope doesnt have that ability,, im getting some microscope phone brackets, might be able to then hopefully ?? i learnt heaps though , still never found any eggs in the sheep or cattle ,(did 4 samples from 4 individual sheep and two samples from cow, nothing showing anything that i could be certain was an egg?? , but i think the chooks have very bad coccodia ??? didnt check turkeys,.., forgot about them lol... too late now bed time ...

More
4 years 10 months ago #546936 by spoook
My photos were taken with my phone, and believe me, it is not a flash phone. Just takes a bit of time to get the correct angle, I lie, takes heaps of time. :-O
If you want to post me a sample, in double plastic bags, I can take a look for you. PM me if interested.

More
4 years 10 months ago #546957 by STAPLENZ
hi spook , thankyou for ur very kind offer ,
but i will decline because in less than two weeks i should be able to take my own pics and post them on here ... i tried and tried to take pics last weekend when i was doing feacals with my phone but was totally unable to , i gave up ....

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds