Scabby goat

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #544213 by A Hard Rain
Scabby goat was created by A Hard Rain
Hi, anyone know what causes these scabs and what I can do for it?
Thanks,
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by A Hard Rain. Reason: Smaller picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #544214 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Scabby goat
That is' dermataphilosis", and is common in goats that have been wet for too long, or which have to graze long damp pasture. It does look very much like "Scabby Mouth" aka Orf, but I'm confident that this one does not have that. (Orf is contagious to humans). I suspect that it is a type of "rain scald" so can be treated by bathing the goat in a dilute mixture of alum and water, then washing iodine (not the same as iodine spray, but washing iodine can be diluted to a concentration to be used as iodine spray if you are desperate) at the concentration recommended for a wash on the bottle. Then rinse that iodine off, soak the goat in iodine again and leave it to dry on. I have cow teat salve, and I smother that over the patches to keep the wounds supple..

More
5 years 3 months ago #544219 by A Hard Rain
Replied by A Hard Rain on topic Scabby goat
Hi, thanks for your information. It has been very wet the last two months so that sounds right. Will try the treatment you suggest when we get some aluminum.
Cheers,

More
5 years 3 months ago #544233 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Scabby goat
Not aluminium, alum.is quite different.
If you have iodine start with that immediately. Hand cream will work just as well as teat salve to keep the skin supple. You need to get the underneath of the scabs healing to reduce flystrike risk, and for goats comfort.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #544234 by A Hard Rain
Replied by A Hard Rain on topic Scabby goat
Sorry, my phone must have changed alum to aluminum.
We have Vetadine on hand and will get alum next Wednesday when in town.
Some also have scald due the the wet so will run them though a zinc sulphate footbath today. For individual goats with should we use a copper sulphate and vaseline paste which works well
Thanks,
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by A Hard Rain. Reason: Spelling

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds