Movable chicken fencing

More
5 years 7 months ago #542183 by Name123
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on quickly movable fencing for chickens around my coop. I'd like to be able to move the fenced area they get to roam around within, with as little effort as possible making it more likely I'll actually do it. The layout of the run will not stay square or rectangle in any fixed way, it will be reshaped to move it as the coop is too heavy to be easily moved.

The current idea is to make up segments with a wooden frame filled in with wire netting. Each would attach to the next, allowing removal of any segment.

I've had unfenced chickens before with almost no work. They'd drink from the water race and poop on the house window sills, and peck on the windows with the dawn. Never again. Nor am I going to do any solution that involves a continual regimen of wing clipping. I'm looking for the simplest workable solution where they can't jump out based on easily movable fencing.

Any ideas appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542185 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Movable chicken fencing
Have you considered electrified netting?
www.chookmanor.co.nz/poultry-fencing
There are a few places that stock it so you may have to shop around for a good price.

Other than that my suggestion would be hoops of bendy stuff (alkathene pipe maybe) and bird netting, shade cloth, vineyard netting stretched over them. You could make smaller tunnels to connect house to a bigger run of bird netting-which is much lighter and probably cheaper than wire netting. You can cover the top of the run with it too.perhaps?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542186 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Movable chicken fencing
Hi Sue,

Can't the chickens just fly over the electrified netting unless you clip their wings?

Cheers.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542190 by 16 Paws
Replied by 16 Paws on topic Movable chicken fencing
It possibly depends on the breed of chicken. Our Orpingtons (mostly) stay put. As pullets some do fly over, mainly to escape squabbles I think. Lighter breeds might fly more. But overall it’s excellent stuff, and is very durable and easy to use. We generally don’t electrify it but it’s useful to have the ability to.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542192 by Name123
The ground is anything but flat, how much more work does that make it?

More
5 years 7 months ago #542200 by 16 Paws
Replied by 16 Paws on topic Movable chicken fencing
Minimal. Although you might find a bag of weed mat pins or something similar to peg the fence down over the worst irregularities helps prevent escapes. It probably adapts to uneven ground better than the wood frames with wire netting would. Previously we used stakes and netting and found the hens went under more often then over.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542201 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Movable chicken fencing
We had some f the electrifid netting & found it more trouble than it was worth & to be honest it was useless for the chooks. They would try going through it & get tangled, would also jump it or fly over it even though they were clipped. Each day we had half if not almost all escape. This went on for a good month & it still didnt work for us. We also found that it kept shorting out where it touches the ground.

In the end our chickens ended up in a movable coop, only let out in the late arvo.
The netting is mostly in storage but gets occasional use if we want to create a raceway to run the sheep somewhere

More
5 years 7 months ago #542206 by Name123
Out of curiosity Kate, were your chickens raised with the electric netting, or were they introduced to it from a more free environment?

I'd like to use it if it worked, but given I don't have flat ground, it would probably be too much of a costly gamble.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542210 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Movable chicken fencing
Ours were introduced to the netting from being free range. I would not recommend it for this situation.
Its just standards & netting so it shouldnt matter too much on uneven ground. The netting is flexible/flimsy so it would depend how tight you spread the standards I guess

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #542226 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Movable chicken fencing
I use green electrified poultry netting for a a big free range containment area. It is great. Highly recommend. The birds were free range over the while property before but the poo everywhere and the damage to the gardens was a problem. They are happy in there, unclipped, although they do have everything they need in there. We make a gate for ourselves to go through where two lengths of fencing join. One bantam game hen gets out by flying at it and flapping over with a big noisy fuss. She is a bird who will never be contained in breeding season as she likes to lay her eggs in some hidden spot, but the rest are fine. I also let my rabbits out in there to run around and they don't get out either. Our ground is a bit up and down but the netting is fine for that. When turning corners it needs a stake and a string to hold the corner rod outwards. I got it from a great bloke on trademe who imports various things, trademe name ee7910, and it was about $5 a metre.

I have also used it to fence off most of our house paddock for our sheep and goat to live in. Again it is electrified, and fantastic for keeping them off the driveway and out of our house garden. We make it really tight so no sagging.

Re the idea of wooden frames with wire, we do that for around our rabbit hutches now. We make the spaces 90cm tall which is the height of the netting. The frames are connected to each other by hinges with removable pins, so just take the pins out and they are separated. Even better, use narrower gauge wire and bend little loops into it to make gripping it easy. Have used for ducks successfully, but chickens can fly up and roost briefly on the top line of wood, then fly out. Flimsy tops are best for chickens, otherwise you have to add bird netting over the top which is fine for a narrow run less than 4m wide. Bird netting clings to the rough edges of the wire so works quite well, with pegs to make sure it stays in place.

Will add some photos tomorrrow if I think of it.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Nora. Reason: Added to
The following user(s) said Thank You: Name123

More
5 years 7 months ago #542229 by Nora
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #542231 by Nora
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Name123

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds