Lice on pony

More
5 years 8 months ago #542094 by charlotte1
Lice on pony was created by charlotte1
Tonight I noticed one of my ponies has lice. Tomorrow I need to deal with them. What is the current treatment that others are using. In the past I used Pestene but I believe that has been taken off the market.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542096 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Lice on pony
LiceNSimple is what we use for our 26 (yes, that is quite a few) donkeys and one mini horse. We dispense it by measuring in a needle-less syringe, then squirting down the backbone. Every supplier has a different price, so phone around your vets, farm supply stores, and equestrian retailers to get the best price.
Repeat from what has not been used in a couple of weeks.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542105 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Lice on pony
I would try neem oil, just rub it through the area with the lice and see if this helps.
I also think we used to mix sulphur powder with some fat and rub it on for lice and similar
alternatively, see if Homeopathic Farm services has a remedy for ticks
If its a bad infestation you could clip the hair, will make it easier to control the beasties

More
5 years 8 months ago #542110 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Lice on pony
Managed to get some Flowers of Sulphur. Put it in an empty powder container and gave them both a good dusting. I know there is some chemical washes etc out there but they are so expensive and likely pretty potent. So I will give both ponies a couple of doses with the flowers of sulphur, if not effective will move to the more potent stuff.

More
5 years 8 months ago #542211 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Lice on pony
Pony needed 2 dustings to be rid of the lice. First dusting dramatically reduced them though. Very pleased as the only other alternative I was able to get at short notice was a wash, which would have been a pain to do to be honest. So now just need to be vigilant to catch any that may hatch out. But oh so easy to apply and treat the hardest part was sifting the lumps putting them through a funnel into the powder container.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds