Goat Lice

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #540234 by Stikkibeek
Goat Lice was created by Stikkibeek
What do other goat owners use for goat lice? Niticed one of my girls doing a lot of chewing a few days ago and I suspected lice, but didn't see any. However this morning i did find them. Very tiny, same colour as the goat and she's still very "itchy" I'd like to treat her but don't have much I could safely use on this long weekend.
have a little bit of precious pestene, some frontline kennel spray, maybe a little malathion (if i can find it) and ivomec pour-on which is cattle stuff. Any thoughts?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #540235 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Goat Lice
we use flowers of sulphur

Web Goddess

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #540236 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Goat Lice
Don't have any of that Kate

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #540237 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Goat Lice
A -mectin oral sheep drench. Oral supposedly works better that injection and pour-on. You won't be able to dilute cattle pour-on properly or accurately enough for a goat. They might need two drenches, about 10 days apart.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #540238 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Goat Lice
Don't have any of that either LR. Can you please explain how an oral drench would deal with biting insects?

More
6 years 1 week ago #540240 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Goat Lice
A word of warning about malathion: It is still available in NZ, but if you use it no one is allowed to go near your goat for 24 hours, unless they are wearing protective clothing and breathing apparatus! It not only kills lice, but also bees, birds and fish; inhaling it can cause permanent impairment or death to humans.

More
6 years 1 week ago #540272 by LongRidge
An 'off-label' method is to use Frontline for dogs. We have not tried it. We use "LiceNSimple", which is made for horses, on our donkeys, which works well.
"Wormwise" may be a better place to find the research that has been done on the efficacy of the same drench administered different ways. "Totally Vets" (I think) in Feilding did a large scale study a few years ago on lambs, and very unexpectedly found that oral drenches killed more internal worms than either pour-on or injection. I don't know if the experiment has been done on external insect parasites, but because oral drenching has been found to work better on internal parasites then there is the suggestion that drenching might work better on exterrnals too. Also, if you are using a drench that does kill internals then you may as well do that job the best way possible.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542885 by whinny
Replied by whinny on topic Goat Lice
Hi all, just found this thread. Very helpful info, thank you everyone!
Any advice re the Flowers of Sulphur would be great. We've recently adopted a goat, poor thing is super skinny and riddled with lice. We wormed him with Matrix Hi when we got him which is 6 days ago now and vet said it should sort out the lice. He's still itching, not as badly but husband found live lice last night. Should we wait a bit longer for the Matrix to kick in or try the Flowers of Sulphur?
How much do I use and should I brush it through his coat?

More
5 years 7 months ago #542886 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Goat Lice
I'd use it now, it won't do any harm. We just put a handful along the back of each goat and rub it through lightly. This does make the lice head to other areas, especially the 'armpit' equivalents so you can rub in a little there too...

Web Goddess

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #542888 by LongRidge
Was it Matrix or Matrix Tape that you gave them? Matrix has Abamectin in it, which should have killed the lice. Matrix Tape does not have abamectin so will not kill lice, but it does have praziquantel which kills tape-worms. Our goat kids are really harmed by tape-worms.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by LongRidge.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542896 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Goat Lice
Hi Whinny, we use ivomec injectable on our alpacas and goats, also good for various internal parasites. It only comes in bottles bigger than you will need so if you want I could mail you a syringe of it. I would need to know how much the goat weights approx. Message me if your interested. Our alpaca breeder friends also recommended Frontline for dogs but when your doing a herd like us its an expensive way.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds