electric log splitter

More
5 years 10 months ago #540055 by Hawkspur
We found a 2011 thread discussing these , and would like to know whether people who were happy with them back then still are, and whether anyone has any knowledge of the ones currently for sale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540124 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic electric log splitter
Kai,: You talked about yours in the last thread. Do you still have it, and is it still going OK?

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #540151 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic electric log splitter
I have one I was going to put on trademe if anyone is in the market for one. Well meaning gift, but we don't do firewood! On the two occasions I used it, it seemed great.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Denneaux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur

More
5 years 10 months ago #540175 by Hawkspur
I have sent you a PM Denneaux.

Still hoping for comments from anyone else.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540178 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic electric log splitter
Hawkespur, I have a hydraulic splitter and it does a great job. But there are issues of maintenance and fuel and smoke to consider. My advice is to buy an electric one from Bunnings or Mitre 10 then you can return it if you are not happy with it?
From what i can tell, for casual use the electric ones are great, max torque at get go and quieter.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur

More
5 years 10 months ago #540183 by Hawkspur
Thanks for that.

A lot of the timber we are going to be splitting is very big rounds of 25 year+ radiata. We have tonnes of this around the place. So it will be big but not hard, but also quite knotty. I am interested to know what those lighter splitters can cope with.
We are growing other timber firewood species but aren't planning to split those much as we'll fell them younger.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540191 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic electric log splitter
Where you have large rounds, it is easier to tow the splitter to the rounds rather than load the rounds onto a trailer or ute deck, take them off, and then split them. Also for large rounds it is easier if the splitter is able to be used vertically rather than horizontally. With pneumatic splitters, the wedge returns at the same speed as the slitting action. It is much faster to get the job done if the machine can split in both directions. Knotty wood splits easier if the chainsaw cut is close to the knots. With wood that the machine cannot split, sometimes it is possible to split the log by starting the split by ripping the round some of the way down, with the chainsaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_Haze

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #540193 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic electric log splitter
I rent a big heavy duty petrol/hydraulic one from the local hire place (costs about $100). All the logs are precut to size and only need splitting. In 8 hours you can split a lot of heavy timber then return the thing to the hire place, no need for maintenance,storage or capital outlay. Plus you can tow it to the pile rather than bring the pile to it.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by neil postie.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540194 by Hawkspur
Thanks for that.
Our concern with doing a lot in one day is whether we'd actually do that many hours before we flagged. :D

For the pines, we usually won't be moving the logsplitter to the rounds. Most aren't located conveniently by tracks, but are on very steep land. (We have felled about 50 25 yr old pines because of their shade and left them to rot because there is no reasonable way to get at things.)
We are only going to harvest from trees near a track but we still need to move the rounds to a track. We may use a tracked dumper or let them roll and then somehow stop some of them on the track.

We would love a splitter attachment for the excavator, because then we'd just need tracked vehicle access, but that access takes a lot of digging to achieve, and those attachments are seriously pricey!

• sandgrubber
5 years 10 months ago #540199 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic electric log splitter
There's a used tractor unit on Trademe for under $600...in Timaru.

Not sure how loader attachments work or where you are.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540200 by Hawkspur
Thanks.

If you hover over the little tag under someone's username on a post it shows their location if they have added it. Mine is Banks Peninsula.Yours says moving to Marlborough.:)

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #540204 by Ken001
Replied by Ken001 on topic electric log splitter
>There's a used tractor unit on Trademe for under $600...in Timaru.
>.

I see that and think it is expensive for what it is. Hasn't been used for a while or tidied up for sale. No ram so I assume it you remove the front end loader bucket and attach the splitter. Then also attach the bucket ram for it to do the splitting.

This only works if you have a two way ram ie. the ram is hydraulically moved both out and in by oil lines. My tractor ram only pushes out and the weight of the bucket pushes it back in. Doesn't look particularly strong.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Ken001.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540312 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic electric log splitter
We have an electric over hydraulic log splitter from bunning's. Its quiet, so can start early, have used it for all our wood for 3 years. It cost about $500 so has already paid for itself. It does large rounds, for narly rounds we cut in half with chain saw first. Only issue was it is low to the ground but that is solved by sitting on a round!

More
5 years 10 months ago #540322 by Hawkspur
Thanks for that.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds