Is my ewe pregnant?

More
5 years 11 months ago #539877 by Colephyre
I have been told by several different people that she is just by looking at her but ive also been told shes just very fat. Very unsure can anyone help
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539881 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
Have you had her running with a ram? Have you recently purchased her from a farm that is running rams? If no to both questions then unlikely to be pregnant. What breed is she? If she's a standard breed of sheep then she will only have been cycling since the days began to shorten and without a ram, no tupping so no pregnancy.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 11 months ago #539884 by Colephyre
Replied by Colephyre on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
She was moved to a paddock with rams in December after being shorn 5 months ago previously was just with her daughters she is suffolk x romney she will be 3 in August

More
5 years 11 months ago #539885 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
She does look pregnant to me...and fairly well on. If you're keen enough to spend $100 or so, a vet can palpitate her tum and give you an opinion.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539888 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
How many lambs and when were they weaned ?
What part of NZ are you? Down here I have had RomneyxSuffolks that have had lambs and weaned late December, that have started cycling again in February. I've also had an empty ewe that looked pregnant that I carried all through winter and spring, waiting for her to lamb. I've also had very fat and empty ewes make milk :-)

More
5 years 11 months ago #539889 by Colephyre
She had twin girls but one was weak so i had to raise myself weaned late nov early December im in manawatu

More
5 years 11 months ago #539895 by LongRidge
Having multiples of differing sizes is not in the least unusual, and indicates that the development of the smaller one was compromised in some way in-utero. Often this is because the smaller one was not as well attached by it's placenta as the other, which is something that you have no control over :-).
Making twins takes more out of the ewe than making a single, and feeding twins takes more out of a ewe than feeding a single. So your ewe will have taken a bit longer to get back into mating condition than if she had only made a single.
As indicated, palpitation does not work very well especially when lots of fat is present. The only practical way of testing for pregnancy is to get her scanned. Phone around the country vets to find out if they know of anyone who is still getting their sheep scanned, then phone the farm owner to find out if you can take your sheep to his place so that the person doing the scanning can fit yours into the time it is being done. Do not be late - every second they are working is very valuable to these guys. Offer the farmer $20 for his assistance. It costs about $150 to set up the scanner :-(.
The next question is when was she taken away from the ram? If she has been pregnant for more than about 110 days it is very difficult for the scanner to tell how many lambs are present. If less than 30 days it can be hard to find the foetus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colephyre

More
5 years 11 months ago #539914 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
Does it matter if she is pregnant? She looks healthy and in lots of grass so just wait and see what nature delivers.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
5 years 11 months ago #539921 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
That photo gives me no indication as to whether she is pregnant, you would need to look at her udder development, not the size of her body.
Alll my sheep are fat on this crazy grass growth we are experiencing, but I know they arent because they didnt have a ram with them until recently.
I would say she is definitely over weight given the fat around her rear end but as to if she is pregnant or not, that photo cant tell me anything.
If her udder starts to spring up, you will know she is pregnant

More
5 years 11 months ago #539930 by LongRidge
Muz1, my animals have had problems being pregnant, and also problems giving birth. From my nearly 30 years experience, I would consider it to be exceedingly irresponsible to not be around to give aid if necessary. This ewe had problems last year, and the weak lamb was only saved by the owner being present.
muri, often but not always. I have had fat but empty ewes "springing" in the udder, but it was only fat development. If she develops Sleepy Sickness will be a more certain way .... but if she doesn't then the owner will remain just as uncertain as now.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539931 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
Oh Longridge, you have now probably got this poor person into a right state.

Muz is quite right, as is Muri. If there is really no overwhelming reason to know if this ewe is pregnant or not, keep an eye on her and see what transpires. Nobody said anything about the owner not being around!

I have never had ewes so fat that their udder looks as though it is coming into milk. Muri is right - do what most of us do and keep a watch on what is going on between those back legs, as well as look for vulvar changes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to say whether this ewe is just plain tubby or is in lamb and if she were mine I would just wait and see. The fact that she had a weak lamb last year doesn't mean to say she will this year or ever again.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
5 years 11 months ago #539943 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Is my ewe pregnant?
there is a lady on trade me that sells animal preg tests, they under $20, worth a try, although it will involve making her pee, not sure a tickle on the vulva will work on a sheep like it does with a cow

More
5 years 9 months ago #540601 by Colephyre
She had twin boys one was still born. Thank you all for your help.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds