mycoplasma bovis...

More
5 years 11 months ago #539826 by kate
mycoplasma bovis... was created by kate
Ministry officials are scrambling to update estimates of farms infected with a cow disease after property numbers under question exploded in the last week from 129 to 299 farms.

Two further farms were confirmed in the last day with Mycoplasma bovis, in Oamaru and Southland, bringing the total to 38. This is on top of a sheep and beef farm near Cheviot in North Canterbury added to the list on Wednesday after the disease was found to be detected in the region for the first time.

However, its seems property numbers "of interest" have jumped including those under controls restricting the movement of any risk goods, including animals, on or off the property.

www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/dairy/1...exceed-mpi-estimates

I also just found out - it doesn't seem to be widely known - that goats may be able to carry and transmit this disease. Which has implications for us goat farmers if the government continues down the eradication line.

The minister on RNZ this morning basically said that the tracking system (NAIT) wasn't working and that farmers haven't been using it....

All in all....I don't think the word disaster is out of place.

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539828 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic mycoplasma bovis...
F*** I just typed a whole reply, accidentally hit Esc on my keyboard and the whole thing disappeared! Don't know where it went.

In short NAIT pisses me off. Many of us have frustratedly conformed but ensured we did, fully, to the system, even originally ending up with non-traceable animals in that first year, when we were the "early adopters", tagged our animals in the months before NAIT began, then discovered our animals couldn't be included when the system's inception was delayed by a year. That was a costly irritation.

Looks like lots of people have simply not bothered. I think it's just an excuse to say it's too complicated. There was also a lot of idiotic "don't bother" messaging from NAIT itself, when people rang the help line and were advised of ways to shortcut the system, get around requirements it was a bit tricky to meet.

Now we have this ridiculous situation where traceability is essentially not there, despite the expense to most of us in adherence to a system we didn't know a lot of people were ignoring.

Fortunately in this case there are ways for some of us to avoid M.bovis if we choose to, so if they can't eradicate it, it may not be the end of everything. It certainly won't be the last challenge to farming cattle, as the climate warms. There are Australian challenges we almost certainly won't escape, being their downwind neighbours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tahunakuaka

More
5 years 11 months ago #539829 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic mycoplasma bovis...

kate wrote: I also just found out - it doesn't seem to be widely known - that goats may be able to carry and transmit this disease. Which has implications for us goat farmers if the government continues down the eradication line.

Oh really? We went to a talk at the vet last week and they said not to worry about it being passed by other stock... Would be helpful if all the right information was available!

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539830 by Ruth
I heard (I think) Dr Laven from Massey talking aobut it in the last couple of weeks, saying that there are many strains of Micoplasma, all specific to particular species and that it is unusual for other species to carry it around. I hope that remains true.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539842 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic mycoplasma bovis...
The more I've heard about its spread the more obvious it is that it is now endemic in NZ. Stop culling and get back to business by learning to manage it, because this horse has well and truly bolted. I also am interested in that we're not hearing about the lifestylers who've bought a few calves to raise.....where are they in the scheme of things? Are they being traced, and can they ever be?
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
5 years 11 months ago #539843 by kate
Replied by kate on topic mycoplasma bovis...
The lifestyle farmers with a few calves are also required to comply with NAIT so yes, it should be possible to track them. Having said that, it appears that the NAIT system has not been complied with in many cases....

Web Goddess

More
5 years 11 months ago #539845 by VioletFarmer
Replied by VioletFarmer on topic mycoplasma bovis...
Its very disappointing that since last June, when the first announcement was made about M.bovis..... that many basic bio security measures were not instated immediately on the initial farms. And as far as I'm concerned, if all animal movements had been correct & ticketty boo re: NAIT, the 38 confirmed positive farms should have been traced & on lock down within 48 hours. They all have 'links' to either the Van leuwin properties or those 2 in southland- so they should have had them like Fort Knox until testing was completed. Too slow off the mark M.P.I, and too slow and ineffective or non existent use by 'some' of the farms/ farmers involved. The fines for non compliance re: NAIT are a joke- I read last week there have been less than a dozen fines handed out in the entire existence of NAIT. I am still hopeful we can eradicate it, but everyone involved needs to pull finger and ramp up the cull. Have beef farmers/ finishers even been tested yet? Its nearly 12 months since we heard about this initial positive result...... imagine if it had been BSE (mad cow) :(

More
5 years 11 months ago #539846 by Ruth
No, imagine if it had been Foot & Mouth; BSE isn't as big an issue in terms of spread. FMD would have spread like wildfire and nobody would have been able to trace anything, so it would have popped up everywhere throughout the country and we'd all be smelling burnt beef.

That will doubtless happen at some stage and if NAIT or its successor isn't sorted, we'll be stuffed. Many of us will be anyway.

Damn. The doom and gloom of a rainy afternoon.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539851 by tahunakuaka
Replied by tahunakuaka on topic mycoplasma bovis...
The few steers we had over the years where registered with Nait and compliance was fairly easy for me, though sometimes a beast would lose its tag in the scrub and went to the works untagged. But the numerous cattle roaming free in the bush and valley belonged to nobody and everybody, the bulls particularly jumping fences at will and mixing with compliant animals. As the free beasts, dead or alive, never left the valley and compliant beasts were inspected, disease transfer was unlikely. Regardless of compliance or not, would it not be true that there are many free roaming herds belonging to nobody and everybody in many of the more isolated rural areas? Two or three older generational farmers I know, though excellent farmers and a font of knowledge in their field, struggle with Nait requirements and have to rely on off farm family to guide them, so when possible the requirements go in the too hard basket. Reality is so different from the desired scenario.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539854 by Ruth
In my opinion 'excellent' farming has long demanded traceability and it's taken the over-20-years I've been involved for anything to be done about it in anything approaching a meaningful way. We've been wide open to a disease issue like this for ever and when I started this bit of my life, I was astonished that there was no scheme to keep track of where animals were and that was well before the dairy industry started trucking them routinely from one region to another, creating a direct route of disease spread, should there be any undetected infection.

The aspect that has really narked me is that there were people who deliberately flouted the NAIT requirements, were known to NAIT and were never followed up - or at least one has to assume that because of the reported level of prosecution under the scheme. I wonder who they did prosecute and for what level of misdemeanor?

There are still cattle in my neighbourhood, moving around without NAIT tags and therefore presumably without any registration within the system.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539855 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic mycoplasma bovis...

Ruth wrote:
The aspect that has really narked me is that there were people who deliberately flouted the NAIT requirements, were known to NAIT and were never followed up - or at least one has to assume that because of the reported level of prosecution under the scheme. I wonder who they did prosecute and for what level of misdemeanor?

There are still cattle in my neighbourhood, moving around without NAIT tags and therefore presumably without any registration within the system.

Damn right! Pig headed twats who feel by registering or participating in the TB testing scheme they are ''inviting'' strangers to wander about on their property willy nilly. If they don't like the rules, then .... off from keeping stock. Got one of them up the road, wanted to borrow my bull (actually I talked about this situation on here at the time) then got narky because I was asking what testing the herd had, knowing the stock was bought un-tagged. And you are right Ruth in that if you do mention names to officialdom, no follow up is done....

As you can tell I'm angry. yesterday I saw the updated MPI map where two blue dots are over the South Auckland area. That's where I buy my feeder calves from. I have emailed the vets to ask what testing is in place so I don't buy infected stock this coming season. Will see what their answer is, but perhaps I'm going to have to sit this season out and just have my home borns instead. So a substantial loss of income to me!

More
5 years 11 months ago #539860 by Ruth
Not to mention the presumed depression of the schedules because of the flood of extra cull cow beef!

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #539861 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic mycoplasma bovis...
I have been in contact with a friend who is on an affected farm down south, they had to send their trace pregnant cows off today, not a nice day for them. Her advice to me is to skip the season. .....
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by max2.

More
5 years 11 months ago #539865 by Ruth
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, tahunakuaka

More
5 years 11 months ago #539866 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic mycoplasma bovis...
Hi
Ruth...I think I read on your site that you run a "Closed" farm...might not be the correct word for it.
But you keep your farm as separate from outside influences as you can.

Can you gives us a quick run down of what procedures you have in place ?

Hope you understand what I am trying badly to ask:)

Thanks
Richard

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds