Chicken flooring

More
6 years 1 month ago #539320 by kbri
Chicken flooring was created by kbri
Hi all
We have a small chicken house where the floor is currently is covered in a small layer of hay and a good thick layer of wild shavings.

However recently I have come into the possession of a large bag of 'wood chips'. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of using wood chips as flooring material for chicken houses.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #539321 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic Chicken flooring
I don't personally have experience with wood chips but going by others' comments on other groups, it sounds like a fairly commonly used flooring material.

I suspect that it wouldn't be as absorbant as wood shavings though, so you might want to use a mixture of materials.

Hopefully, someone with more experience will come along with a more robust answer soon : ).

More
6 years 1 month ago #539322 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Chicken flooring
Depending on what wood source the chips are from they should be fine. Pine based chips, shavings or 'post peelings' are ideal as the pine resin acts as an air freshener and antiseptic.
Don't use hay at all-it is not absorbent, tends to matt and form a soggy layer and can develop moulds which cause respiratory damage.

Just make sure you put down a really deep layer-at least 10cm, more if you have it. This way the material can absorb more moisture, it can heat up, just like a compost heap, and the microbes which thrive break down the added faeces until it should all be dust and ideal for the garden. It shouldn't need removing for at least 6 months, preferably 12. Just add more dry material on top and don't let it get wet. You could use the same material for the nests and every so often enter the nest litter on to the floor and put fresh wood chips in the nests.
Sprinkle some grain on the floor in the afternoons to encourage the birds to scratch, turn it over and aerate it to find the grain.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbri

More
6 years 1 month ago #539346 by kbri
Replied by kbri on topic Chicken flooring
Some great tips there. Not sure what tree out was but decided to try it anyway. Seems to work good but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds