A little question about Sheep Seasonal Breeders

More
6 years 2 months ago #538922 by myquyen1996
i am bottle feeding a SAMM (South African Meat Merino) ewe lamb - she is very heavy for her age[:0] compared to the other 2 ewe lambs I'm also bottle feeding - plus a Boer doe kid as well, I'm starting to feel like an octopus :) :)

I have read that the SAMM ewes are non seasonal breeders & can produce a lamb every 8 months[:0]. Not being well versed in sheep "goings on"[:I] could someone enlighten me as to how the SAMM ewes differ from other breeds of sheep breeding-wise?

She will be mated to a Wiltshire ram in due course.
2 Burmese cats (Mr Brown & Minerva), 2 Irish Setters (Rosie & Kirsten), 5 English Setters (Crystal, Holly, Summer & her son Moss & daughter Pansy), 4 stud red Boer goats (Charlie, Fudge, Merlot, her kids Shiraz & Chianti & traditionals Gorgeous & Polly), Boer Marmite, , 1 pony brood mare Ataahua Exquisite (Patch aka The Princess), & me. That order changes daily LOL!![:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538928 by Stikkibeek
Hello and welcome to the LSB. I know very little about sheep that fall outside autumn tupping, but it sounds like you have your hands full of little critters that will keep you amused (and probably broke :) ) for some time. What district are you situated in. I have had a good season with goats and they too have kept me busy.
Love to hear about your plans as you develop your property.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 2 months ago #538947 by muri
I would find someone with the same breed or the person you got the lamb off. This is not a breed that I have heard of in NZ. Is it a dorper x merino

More
6 years 2 months ago #538955 by Bibby
I have had a few ewes that have lambed out of season.

My ram is in with the ewes year round. The majority of my lambs arrive in September, but they generally range from late July to mid-November (with only the odd one at those extremes).

Last year I had three ewes that lambed in February as well. However, the February lambing happened after I brought in a new ram the previous October, which must have gotten the girls more excited than usual.

My sheep are Gotlands, so aren't necessarily an indication of how your SAMM will go.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538968 by Tui Ridge
I have arapawas which can breed at any time. I have had mine for 7 years and run the ram with them as 1 big flock all year.

Its been a bit of a mystery to me as to when and why some years we get a big crop of lambs each July (i.e. yearly) and a couple of years we get lambs July / April / October (i.e. after 8 months) because its not consistent at all. (and i've had this conversation with other non-seasonal sheep breeders).

This last year we had a full crop of lambs (18 from 13 ewes) back in July, then January -early Feb we've had another 11 lambs from 10 of our oldest ewes (i.e. not the hoggets) thats 7 months apart!

The only thing I can point to that is different this year - we spent 6 months on a rental property over winter and the pasture was really bad - very little grass and lots of plantain, was a very hard winter and the sheep were getting tubs of multi-nuts and lucerne chaff every 2nd day for the whole time. So the feed they got was high quality but not huge quantity - all the ewes came through winter in good condition (they usually do but its usually on grass with the occasional supplement feeds). I'm guessing they got really good levels of vitamins and minerals etc rather then just maintenance feed.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds