Any ideas on this lamb. UPDATE

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #539192 by iSor
Replied by iSor on topic Any ideas on this lamb. UPDATE
Sorry Muri, one more question, is the reason she still has her tail because she resisted being held down for docking or a preference on your part not to dock?
The vet would have dismissed it in this case, but has anyone had experience with rectal prolapse in lambs? I kept thinking of that in the back of my mind because of the tail hanging the way it did, I’m just interested and have no idea of how common it is.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by iSor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539197 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Any ideas on this lamb. UPDATE
All my sheep have tails, none are docked. I actually find their back ends cleaner with tails as they use them in defecating, and like cattle, they are also good at aiming at pesky flies.
I havent docked a sheep in 20 years. I dont use fly repellants eg zap etc and have never had a sheep struck at the back end. One on the shoulders this year, and one in a hoof the year before.
I see more strike on docked sheep than on sheep with tails.
As to prolapse on short tails, I thought the jury was still out on that one
The following user(s) said Thank You: iSor

More
6 years 2 months ago #539200 by Ronney
Very pleased to hear she is doing well.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 2 months ago #539201 by jeannielea
Interesting about the kombucha. Since it helps increase antibodies and improve the flora of the gut it seems a good idea to have given it. I'm also interested that she is the leader as sick sheep are often ostracised and if they recover remain low in the pecking order.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539202 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Any ideas on this lamb. UPDATE

jeannielea wrote: ...Since it helps increase antibodies ....

How does that occur?

More
6 years 1 month ago #539231 by jeannielea
Can't believe I wrote that. Of course I meant to write antioxidants .I was thinking about the use of kombucha etc in relation to the article by Sue Edmonds in the current NZ Farmers Weekly on page 19 and wondering if improved gut flora would also affect the nitrogen in the urine because digestion would be more efficient. I'm sure organic farmers already know about it but it was a new idea for me and I guess I let my mind run on possibilities.

More
4 years 11 months ago #546744 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Any ideas on this lamb.

I can probably hear a few mumblings down the keyboards but the ram must have found this little ewe.
She lambed last week, a little Mouflon ram lamb, without assistance or problems.
The kombucha I drenched her with at the time I posted this must have had major impact on her gut as she came right quite quickly and has been normal since,
[Having said that, I have stopped drinking it myself as I have had false gout in my wrist and Kombucha can be crystal forming, one of the causes of gout apparently]
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #546746 by Ronney
The lamb in your photo is obviously a ram so the well-grown ewe with him has to be that sickly little thing you had. Excellent outcome and she's turned into a very handsome sheep. :)

I have no idea what Kombucha is (will go and google) but if it worked for the short term, so be it. However, if it causes gout, probably not a good thing to be dealing with long term. Gout is caused by the accumulation of uric acid which can cause uric acid crystals which form and deposit in the joints - often the big toe but also knee, elbow, wrist. I only know this because Kevin suffered from it - and luckily only the once - but it was extremely painful as is any type of arthritis.

That aside, all's well that ends well - and this ended very well.

Cheers,
Ronnie
The following user(s) said Thank You: muri

More
4 years 11 months ago #546747 by Kilmoon
I saw this last night on my phone and started laughing.....hubby asked what was up. So I showed him her baby photo and now the result of a tryst.....he was impressed with the adult version of her and also agrees 'well done you' for turning her around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: muri

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds