How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them ....

More
6 years 2 months ago #539106 by Ruth
Those low-frequency sounds are appalling for some of us. That's the other issue we've had to learn to ignore and we got the same response from the F'nDC when we asked them about it. Our's started at about the same time and I think it goes all the time, although during the day there's more other noise so it's less noticeable. I don't hear it when I spend a night in the city and as long as there's no sudden noise, I sleep better there. I had been wondering if it was a tinitis issue but the city silence confirms it is not. It's a real public health issue that is yet to be addressed.

Our LF noise continues even through district-wide power cuts, which is confusing but suggests there's a generator involved to maintain whatever machinery is the source. We originally thought it was a dairy vat chiller and I'm still suspicious that is the case, but tracking it down is nigh on impossible. Some directional sound monitoring equipment might help but where do you get that from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539107 by Muz1
I hear dairy chiller from a shed around 500 meters away. Not far but noise is easily discernible most nights. Used to it now.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 2 months ago #539108 by kate
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
6 years 2 months ago #539113 by max2
And then of course you have the singing fence line if you live in a windy area .... ours plays several tunes as you walk along the races.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539120 by Hawkspur
I recommend the book One Square Inch of Silence.
The author believes we need to create reserves of silence or no human made noises, just as we create reserves from other influences, such as light pollution.

Is there anywhere you can go in NZ where you will not hear unnatural sounds? (It certainly isn't Fiordland with all the helicopters). Sound travels such a long way and we need to recognise and try to reduce the impact of this.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539122 by Anakei
I had a "hum" in my previous house. I am a bad sleeper and would often lay awake at night listening to it, or wandering around the house looking for the source. I eventually decided that it was the fridge vibrating
against the wall, and pulled it out slightly so it wasn't touching any of the walls. I don't know if that was actually the case but I haven't heard it since we moved back to NZ. Its certainly disturbing and once you start to hear it you can't tune it out.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 2 months ago #539129 by Mudlerk
I've only had the experience outside of state parks once...during a morning spent in the limestone country back of Alfredton [southern Hawkes Bay/Wairarapa?]. After an while, a couple of us became unnerved!

More
6 years 2 months ago #539154 by meganp
If you don't wish to pay for wood and batts, how about collecting some pallets and polystyrene boxes from the supermarket to construct a soundproof box?

More
6 years 2 months ago #539162 by Farmersden
We have not been on LSB for a while but thank you Ruth we know we are not alone!! Recent new neighbours have spent the last 12 months building next door. Its not the noise we expected...everything is being done on the cheap: evenings..every weekend and the most noisy tasks while they go away and leave tradies or relatives with free run.. So they leave the doors open on their white vans and have the stereo playing rap top volume while their urban dogs run free. However, having got their mobile no we now make sure they know exactly how it is impacting our lives..notes in the letter box are adding to our efforts to keep them aware of our expectation that they consider the impact they are having on us..keeping it factual and not emotional and things are improving slowly

More
6 years 1 month ago #539230 by max2
Over the time span of this thread Officialdom came to know of our problem areas. Its an ongoing situation but now things are being monitored and that brings some relief.

What puzzles me another neighbour confided her upset at the issue yet had not taken the matter further. We now have a witch hunt in our area for the person who ''dobbed' with the subject throwing all sorts of accusations about, some of which have been directed at us.

Its my understanding that the subject has been given a sizable task to put to right the wrongs so why then blame others if One has been put on notice? I thought we left those attitudes back in the school yard?

More
6 years 1 month ago #539233 by Ruth
I'm not sure that the majority of society ever grew up properly. It has been an unpleasant surprise of adulthood.

More
6 years 1 month ago #539234 by Anakei
I think social media has made society a lot nastier. You only have to read the comments to news items ( a favourite occupation of mine :blush: ) to see the most appalling ad hominem attacks with no attempt to address an argument - something that we have avoided on this very civilised forum. The other thing is the culture of blame - some-one else MUST be responsible for one's misfortune - and no personal responsibility.

I'll get off my high horse now :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 1 month ago #539235 by Ruth
Dobbing is an interesting concept in Kiwi culture. It's a protection of the guilty not unlike "natural justice" which, to my mind, is usually a protection of the repeatedly guilty (and usually relatively powerful). We must allow "boys will be boys" behaviour like drunken driving and being allowed to discipline your partner if she gets too mouthy, without the neighbours or anyone else interfering. It's none of their damned business.

It allows the inconsiderate and dangerous to go on claiming "freedoms" which impinge on others' rights to peace and enjoyment and sometimes even life.

More
6 years 1 month ago #539242 by max2

Ruth wrote: Dobbing is an interesting concept in Kiwi culture. It's a protection of the guilty not unlike "natural justice" which, to my mind, is usually a protection of the repeatedly guilty (and usually relatively powerful). We must allow "boys will be boys" behaviour like drunken driving and being allowed to discipline your partner if she gets too mouthy, without the neighbours or anyone else interfering. It's none of their damned business.

It allows the inconsiderate and dangerous to go on claiming "freedoms" which impinge on others' rights to peace and enjoyment and sometimes even life.

I totally agree Ruth, it accommodates bad behaviour and creates further bullying towards those trying to protect their rights to a peaceful way of life. We are waiting to see what payback results from all of this.....

More
6 years 1 month ago #539243 by Mudlerk
I suspect not dobbing in bad behaviour is a weakness masquerading as a virtue.
For ten years I have been living with the consquences, after I phoned the cops about my neighbour's grandchildren firing across our back paddock while shooting at a target nailed to their loading ramp.
Had kept quiet, I might still have civil neighbours.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds