How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them ....

More
6 years 2 months ago #538693 by max2
My vent. Today I am shattered, barking dog neighbour has gone away again and left the dog chained to its kennel which barked all night. No one has attended site in the last 24 hours and it appears there is actually more than one dog there.

Barking dog neighbour (from mutual friend posts) appears to be away this time for approx. 3 weeks. I intend to call in animal control tomorrow if we have another night the same as last night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538695 by Ruth
Something I find hard to fathom is the carelessness of animal distress demonstrated by that sort of behaviour. Why wouldn't you care that your animal is distressed by your absence and make some other arrangement?

Have you tried ear plugs? I've learnt to sleep with them and they're saving me significant exhaustion. Won't work during calving though, since I rely on listening for any disturbance.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538697 by max2

Ruth wrote: Something I find hard to fathom is the carelessness of animal distress demonstrated by that sort of behaviour. Why wouldn't you care that your animal is distressed by your absence and make some other arrangement?

Have you tried ear plugs? I've learnt to sleep with them and they're saving me significant exhaustion. Won't work during calving though, since I rely on listening for any disturbance.

Hi Ruth, no I haven't. I don't feel that I should have to either, its wrong on so many levels including animal welfare. Perhaps if it was a noise of a temporary nature that was assisting someone going about their business (such as the tractors on the gardens) then fine, but not in the case where the animals have again been abandoned by the owner while she takes off elsewhere. Personally I fail to see why she bought where she did... but that's also none of my business either.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538873 by Ruth
From the website of the constant diesel burners: "NZ Owned, Operated and Made - this means that when you buy from BlahBlah you are not only buying locally to help reduce you (sic) environmental and carbon footstep (sic) but you are also supporting a New Zealand based business."

Yes, still ranting. It gets thoroughly utterly unbearably irritating when the wind is in our direction.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538878 by max2

Ruth wrote: From the website of the constant diesel burners: "NZ Owned, Operated and Made - this means that when you buy from BlahBlah you are not only buying locally to help reduce you (sic) environmental and carbon footstep (sic) but you are also supporting a New Zealand based business."

Yes, still ranting. It gets thoroughly utterly unbearably irritating when the wind is in our direction.

a note in their letterbox might be less confrontational and lessen the opportunity of saying things in ways best not said.... but I feel for you.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538880 by Ruth
Less confrontational than what? I'm unlikely to do anything! I'll just rant at you lot. Pointlessly. But it'll perhaps comfort others with similar neighbours.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538881 by Stikkibeek
Perhaps an article in your magazine, about the anomaly caused by some unthinking people who swap the life of town stresses and then bring them all with them to the "quiet" rural lifestyle they crave!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 2 months ago #538884 by VioletFarmer
I used to think the worst part about our slice of paradise was the Nor west winds & the bags of rubbish I pick up due to idiot townies who pass through our road, to a dirt bike track up the valley- merrily throwing their beer bottles & kfc, mcd's, pizza boxes etc out the window. Or the rubbish truck, that collects from a few houses yonder, who never shuts the rubbish door properly- so there is a stream of detritus from a-hole to breakfast table!! But no, now I realise we had it really good. Until a parcel of land was sold off, over the brow of the hill from us. The couple + kids & two massive dogs- are parents who like to yell & scream at each other most (formerly) peaceful summer evenings- yell at the dogs, yell at the kids- swear words mandatory. Looooud car revving it up for a half hour to 3 hour period some weekends..... the dogs we hear one a month if that- praise be for that! So I absolutely feel for you Ruth- noise pollution wittles away at every last little frayed nerve you have :(.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538885 by Ruth
I play a lot of mind games to ensure it doesn't drive me completely round the bend, hence not even mentioning it for eight months. It could stop now.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538888 by Hawkspur

Ruth wrote: From the website of the constant diesel burners: "NZ Owned, Operated and Made - this means that when you buy from BlahBlah you are not only buying locally to help reduce you (sic) environmental and carbon footstep (sic) but you are also supporting a New Zealand based business."

Looking at their products, they don't seem to care about whether something makes sense.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538889 by Ruth
No. It would seem not. Their moving to this quiet place and ruining it isn't making sense to me. But then people like that seem not to be aware of the sounds of silence - or at least the absence of a whole lot of human noise.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538897 by max2

Ruth wrote: Less confrontational than what? I'm unlikely to do anything! I'll just rant at you lot. Pointlessly. But it'll perhaps comfort others with similar neighbours.

Geese and there I thought we were like minded, I'm well along the 'slowly going mad'' scenario to be of serious concern that my mouth might run ahead of me should I end up face to face with my said neighbour.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538898 by Ruth
Having not met mine in person, I'd not even recognise them! And there, someone might say, is the problem but I'd refer right back to the title of the thread: How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them .... I didn't dare meet them, for exactly the reason you state. Stephan is much more diplomatic than I.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
6 years 2 months ago #539024 by Coopers17
Dunno if its any help but I have found when I want action with council.... I go in, ask for someone to talk to regarding problem.... if fobbed off ask for supervisor, if fobbed off ask for their supervisor, until if still no action I tell them I am going to start talking louder. The louder. Then I start shouting very loudly.... I come back... here i am again and no one has done something so I am going to ask in a very loud voice why not.... and keep going. It always works and I remind them that they have a legal responsibility under bi-laws to get something done. I did once threaten the ombudsman. They do learn you are not going to give up. Squeaky wheel. And bureaucrats hate a fuss. But you have to decide never to give up. According to the law you have the right.

More
6 years 2 months ago #539105 by ccrk9
Oh how I feel for you over generator, or machines. First two years blissful quiet at night. Them this low frequency noise started. It goes from 9pm to daylight. I complained to noise control "sorry, won't come out unless you can tell us exactly where the noise source is located" Um, we are a small block in the middle of 1000a of acres of dairy farms. We can't exactly go on someone's land to trace it. The lady at the council was nice, checked consents to see if any works had been done in our area, put a notice out reminding the vineyards over the river of their obligations. We drove miles around the area at 3am trying to work out where the noise comes from. No luck. After 10 years I pretty well sleep thru it, it's clearly something from one of the farms but who knows what. I don't object to animal noises, farm bikes at 3am, milking shed noises or when the neighbour is frantically ploughing at midnight to beat the weather. It's farm life. If I could just find the noise I'd be happy to discuss some way of shielding it in so it is muffled. Sigh

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds