How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them ....

More
6 years 1 month ago #538594 by Kilmoon
I think I have a solution to all our problems.

We all need to decide where in NZ we would like to live, sell up on mass, and move there. Then we can just annoy, or ignore, each other as we all see fit (would we even need a website as we can all just cross the paddocks for a catchup - damn, no more "it's raining!!!" stories).

As we'll all be neighbours who like the peace and quiet anyone making noise will stand out like a sore thumb.....hmmm, banishment from our (rather large) corner of NZ and out back into the world of the muggles will be the punishment!
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538606 by Povnation

Ruth wrote: I try not to engage in seriously illegal activity!

I assume a handful of sand in the fuel tank is out of the question then.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538607 by LongRidge
I went to the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra 60th anniversary concert on Saturday. The first piece was electro-acoustic music by John Young, called "Spirit". Our 27 donkeys would have loved to sing along with that piece, especially at 2 am. At the moment only 4 or 5 sing at that time :-).

More
6 years 1 month ago #538609 by Stikkibeek
The trouble with that plan Kilmoon, is that someone would have to live on the periphery and what would their other neighbours be like??

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #538612 by neil postie
Hi Ruth, I used to be the aggressor in this scenario. I owned a shop in the city with a very noisy compressor thats air vent exited right by our neighbours house and the noise inside their house was terrible. The solution I came up with worked awesome and should work for you as well, as long as you neighbours are ok with it. Make a box (no roof or floor) out of plywood (2.4 x 1.2 x 1.2) line inside with pink batts held in place with chicken wire and put it over the generator. It needs to be big so the generator doesn't overheat, it will kill the sound big time. You may have to make a simple door so they can get into it for petrol etc.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by neil postie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: m and m, Ferg-HB

More
6 years 1 month ago #538615 by Ruth
That's worked well for our milking machine. The neighbours told us they were going to do something like that. We (Royal) will have to attempt further contact before we (not Royal) go mad.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538616 by Wren
I really feel for you Ruth - that kind of noise would drive me absolutely insane!! And I definitely wouldn't be able to calmly talk to them about it - I suspect I'd end up shouting at them something like"how are you not deaf and mad by now having that running all day?

Coincidentally I was listening to something on the radio about noise pollution the other day, and they also said they use a plywood box around particularly noisy building work, so I think Neil has the right idea. Now to just convince your neighbours they they really need to prioritize installing said box quick smart. Maybe you should go and talk to them - visually seeing your distress might be what they need to get it done!

Hope they get it sorted soon, though. Nobody should have to deal with that from their neighbours!

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538618 by Paw
Hi, not much help, but I know where you are coming from. A "lovely chap" purchased a block next door to us, he lives approx. 1km away from our house and we don't hear a thing. BUT, he rides his little scooter bike thing up and down a paper road right next to my kitchen window. I know it is nothing like a perpetual drone of a generator, but there are about six of them and they are always going up and down. The noise is a whine, and we hear it maybe a couple of dozen times a day for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. We put up with it without complaint, but they complained about pig noise at feeding time, duck noise at feeding time (other neighbour) sheep noise when being drenched and the noise my calves make when they suspect someone has meal for them. I personally think that animal noise is okay when you live rurally and that townie scooters should be banned from rural living. My rant, just ignore if your day is as full of S^%$# as mine.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538620 by Ruth
I have absolute sympathy for the sufferers of vehicular noise. Especially when it's "play" machinery and not even doing anything worthwhile.

Feel free to rant.

I was going to have this whole thread removed at one point but then saw how common this is for so many of us. Perhaps it's just a stress-release thread we need. A whole other "me too" movement. Except none of us will be willing to make any noise, since that's what's bothering us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
6 years 1 month ago #538627 by viki
Oh dear you never have much luck with neighbours... It could be worse the welsh woman could move back.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538628 by Ruth

More
6 years 1 month ago #538629 by Kilmoon
Oh god, if this turns into a #me too thread.....it'll be an avalanche of all of us letting loose!

Ooohhh, let me start/add to the rant:lol:

We had fun with one neighbour (all night parties, wandering dogs etc you get the idea) quite a few years back one Xmas day. Heard through the grapevine that they were having friends/family over for a noisy Xmas day....checked with the other annoyed neighbours as to whether they would get upset at our 'retaliation'.......had a shooting xmas party at our place. We had fun, they didn't....apparently the noise of guns going off all day (randomly) was upsetting. Nothing said. A few weeks later at New Years they had their big bash that went all night.....and come the dawn we were out shooting rascally rabbits.......then we decided that winter firewood was required so the chainsaw started up and we went all day (I mean good days are hard to come by, it might have rained:whistle:). That got their attention, and finally they saw the 'light'.....well, I enjoyed mentioning that when we've been kept awake most of the night due to the boom boom boom of their base stereo.....well, it just means we wake up earlier and start our day before the crack of dawn. Parties are much more muted now. Still working on the wandering dogs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, igor

More
6 years 1 month ago #538634 by max2
Please don't delete the thread Ruth, its been a relief to hear its ''not just us''and its the cause of us seriously thinking of moving out and on.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538640 by Ruth
It certainly makes one think that escape is probably impossible.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538649 by max2

Ruth wrote: It certainly makes one think that escape is probably impossible.

Totally agree and One wonders how it got to this point.

Its interesting to see how one lot impact on our side of their property and not the other. Their neighbour has a reputation of being ''connected'' to various types and has outright told them to control their ''f...n'' dogs or he will shoot them. As such they ensure the dogs do not go to that end of their property but are often seen on ours.

I remember one night with our bedroom bifold door open, about midnight I woke to find one of them standing in the doorway. I got up and shoe'd it away only to hear neighbour calling for it back at theirs. In those days we tried to be amenable and I spoke to the neighbour about their dog wandering at night.
His reply was ''oh which one was it''... and I thought to myself then you darn well know which one it was because you were calling it, so by then I knew what sort of tosser had move in..... time to get the guns out me thinks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: igor

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds