How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them ....

More
6 years 1 month ago #538558 by Stikkibeek

Ruth wrote: Bloody issues everywhere! There was someone out the back of ours this morning, shouting for their dogs. I hope they get go-slow from any pigs they caught. And since they were there, I hope they did actually do something useful like catching some of the pigs. I think I might go back to bed this year and get back out the other side later.

That's the spirit. Hop into bed, turn the electric blanket up to 10, pull the covers over head and assume the pre-natal position, (closest thing to the ostrich philosophy); Then and only if it is safe enough to poke your head out, step into out into the Brave New World.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538559 by Ruth
Your smartarse answers are not helpful, empathetic, or comforting.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538560 by Sue
I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you for awhile, now I know why!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538561 by Kilmoon
Ruth, console yourself knowing that they will die....someday. Just focus on out-living the bastards, its the only 'revenge' you can get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, igor

More
6 years 1 month ago #538564 by Runamuck
Sadly, I don't have any pearls of wisdom to offer that would help, but I do sympathise. We have a neighbour who doesn't believe in exerting himself during the day, when it's hot, so he starts his chainsaw in the evening, or roars along his bush tracks on his motorbike in the evening, or starts extending his shack, in the evening. Thankfully he only appears about twice a year (usually planting and harvesting time - there's a lot of that in our corner of the wild North too) and never stays long, but I think it's fair to say that it's behaviour fairly consistent with his total inability to see anyone elses's point of view but his own. He's been at it for 20 years. We are not friends.

Maybe name and shame through her pet supply business? Enough negative feedback, the message may get through.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538565 by Stikkibeek

Ruth wrote: Your smartarse answers are not helpful, empathetic, or comforting.

Ah Ruth! If you but knew where we live, your minor noise nuisance would pale into insignificance.

Suggest you could write them a note asking them to switch off their generator much earlier when you are either calving or AI-ing or get noise control to come and take some db readings one evening then invite them down for a cuppa and play the noise back to them and see if you can reach a compromise on switch-off time

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 1 month ago #538567 by Hawkspur
Well you could wait till they blow up their generator. Given the hours it is doing, that may be sooner rather than later...
Or you could get a friendly sales person who can do some costings to show how the dollars for the diesel they are burning could be used for a solar setup.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538569 by max2
Or you could just go and wee in it when you know they are out. One of our neighbours did it to a local very noisy bike and that worked.....

More
6 years 1 month ago #538570 by Ruth
I try not to engage in seriously illegal activity! They're probably onto their third one already, I think they'd already blown one up when Stephan talked with them. I can't believe anyone would be happy burning that much fuel.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538571 by max2

Ruth wrote: I try not to engage in seriously illegal activity! They're probably onto their third one already, I think they'd already blown one up when Stephan talked with them. I can't believe anyone would be happy burning that much fuel.

Only try? :whistle: :whistle: :silly:

More
6 years 1 month ago #538572 by Hawkspur
OK so the costings include 3+ generators.
A smart sales rep is needed.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538575 by LongRidge
I'm rather surprised that they don't have a steam they could put a water generator into.
Have you asked the Council's Noise Control Occifer if you can borrow their noise meter for a while?

More
6 years 1 month ago #538585 by Alan Gilbert
Commiserations, Ruth. I really feel for you.

You can check the permissible noise levels at your boundary in the FNDC's District Plan on their website, as I have just done, prompted by the new owner of one of my neighbouring blocks. He comes to cut the grass every few weeks, and brings his boys who hoon around on their unsilenced two-stroke bikes, making a hideous din. Can't blame the kids, but the father needs his ideas sorted out. God help us when they get a house built and move onto the property full time.
A second neighbour ruins every calm sunny evening by turning his bloody TV up full and sitting out on his deck not watching it, just as we want to sit out on our deck and enjoy the peace and quiet. And when it's not the TV it's his stereo—and he has appalling taste in music.
And a third neighbour thinks that his boys are not enjoying their playtime in the garden unless he is yelling encouragement at them with every breath. The poor kids are growing up thinking that being shouted at is normal.

And the District Plan lets them do it! Between 0700 and 2200 the sound level measured at the boundary may exceed a sound level of 55dBA 10% of the time. Between 2200 and 0700 it may exceed 45dBA 10% of the time and 70dBA not at all. (55bdA is about the level of normal conversation.) The figures for your zone, Ruth, may be different.

Noise pollution is becoming a very serious problem in our society, contributing to mental health disturbances and general irritability. It is exacerbated by the selfish "me first, up yours" culture that is so prevalent, and also by the fact that so many young people listen to music at literally deafening volume. Hearing loss is becoming apparent in the general population at younger and younger ages as a result, meaning that, of course, the buggers turn the volume up because they are partially deaf!

More
6 years 1 month ago #538586 by Ruth
You can certainly tell I'm suffering the irritability. It is possible my mental health is disturbed. I'd better not vouch for myself on that point. I doubt the generator noise does exceed any limits, somehow. But 44dBA for 16 hours a day is still hideously irritating.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538587 by max2

Alan Gilbert wrote: It is exacerbated by the selfish "me first, up yours" culture that is so prevalent...

I think you have summed it up nicely there Alan.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds