How not to win friends and really piss people off before you even meet them ....

More
6 years 1 month ago #538542 by Ruth
Move to the country, don't arrange any sort of power supply for your dwelling, run a generator 16 hours a day for months, destroying the peace of the neighbourhood into which you have moved.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH. I wish ... oh, I try not to think evil thoughts. But some days ... I've really had enough but can't do a damned thing about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538544 by Stikkibeek
Double glazing will help. :)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 1 month ago #538545 by ZummersetGirl
Oh Ruth I feel for you. Makes our noise problem pale into comparison.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538546 by iSor
“A problem shared is a problem halved “ and we feel your annoyance at this anti-neighbourly behaviour.

Is it an existing dwelling which they haven’t connected to a power company and aren’t going to?

The thing with most neighbours is that at some time in the future they may want to ask you a favour, like borrow your yards or offal pit and could then be quite amenable to some friendly advice. A suggestion might be they put up some solar panels on a frame, which they could find cheap and second hand on Trade Me, till they get sorted, so that they don’t have the noise pollution either.
You might not know what they’re up to long term until you ask them round for a friendly chat and cuppa and grill them.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538547 by Ruth

Stikkibeek wrote: Double glazing will help. :)

Have you arranged and paid for it already? Excellent.

No, far too hot to have anything closed. At night I've taken to wearing ear plugs, since they don't turn off most of the time until after 10.30pm. Apparently she runs a homeopathic pet supplies business. Sustainable, responsible, etc. etc. Just don't tell anyone how much diesel you burn to do the job.

ZummersetGirl wrote: Oh Ruth I feel for you. Makes our noise problem pale into comparison.

I don't know, any noise problem is a problem. Anything that goes on and on and on becomes a bigger problem no matter how loud it is.

iSor wrote: “A problem shared is a problem halved “ and we feel your annoyance at this anti-neighbourly behaviour.

Is it an existing dwelling which they haven’t connected to a power company and aren’t going to?

The thing with most neighbours is that at some time in the future they may want to ask you a favour, like borrow your yards or offal pit and could then be quite amenable to some friendly advice. A suggestion might be they put up some solar panels on a frame, which they could find cheap and second hand on Trade Me, till they get sorted, so that they don’t have the noise pollution either.
You might not know what they’re up to long term until you ask them round for a friendly chat and cuppa and grill them.

We've asked them. Friendlily. They're saving for solar, can't afford it, can't get it organised, blah, blah, blah. Not feeling so friendly any more. Thought they'd have it sorted by now. They built a shed, ran into problems, sorted some ridiculously expensive other option. There's power running down the boundary; I don't know what their deal is with in not connecting.

Their nasty noise accompanied me all through calving, all through heat detection and now the wind is from that direction again, all through anything we do outside the house. We're unlikely to become friends.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538548 by iSor
Ruth, I take it you’re the type who has done your research.

From Resource Management Act (1991)
Your Responsibilities
Under the Act, you must keep noise from your property to a "reasonable" level. Although there is no clear definition of what is "reasonable", generally noise should not disturb your neighbours or be clearly audible beyond your property boundary.

I called our Regional Council regarding our new neighbour burning wet rubbish creating a horrible stench which drifted into our house. They paid them a visit and advised they put dry cardboard out for kerbside collection which they happily did and are now our best neighbours.

• stentor
6 years 1 month ago #538549 by stentor

More
6 years 1 month ago #538550 by Ruth

iSor wrote: Ruth, I take it you’re the type who has done your research.

From Resource Management Act (1991)
Your Responsibilities
Under the Act, you must keep noise from your property to a "reasonable" level. Although there is no clear definition of what is "reasonable", generally noise should not disturb your neighbours or be clearly audible beyond your property boundary.

I called our Regional Council regarding our new neighbour burning wet rubbish creating a horrible stench which drifted into our house. They paid them a visit and advised they put dry cardboard out for kerbside collection which they happily did and are now our best neighbours.

Yeah, been there, done that. We live with the F'nDC and the Northland Regional Council who approach these sorts of things ... oh, hang on, no, they don't approach them at all, on the whole. Both Councils employ people who appear not to want to do very much at all about anything, from weeds to pollution to noise, dust, wandering stock, uncontrolled dogs ... This is the Wild North.

We generally try and get things sorted ourselves, or at least I hassle Stephan until he does it because I invariably inadvertently get people's backs up by not understanding how to do small talk and going straight to the problem. When polite/friendly overtures are met without rancour, that's much nicer than a load of abuse, but it's no more damned use than abuse if nothing changes.

It's one of those noises it's probably hard to get an authority to do anything about because they'll come and listen for five minutes and it won't bother them at all. When you've had months of it, you just want to throw your loose marbles at someone.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538551 by Stikkibeek

Ruth wrote:

Stikkibeek wrote: Double glazing will help. :)

Have you arranged and paid for it already? Excellent.

Yes. Paid and installed several years ago! :evil:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 1 month ago #538552 by max2
Sorry, what was that you said? I can't hear you over the dogs barking from next door and the stereo booming near our boundary fence line from the other side ......

Feeling like its a scene out of ''Falling Down'' the Michael Douglas movie.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538553 by Ruth
How do these people without consideration or empathy exist? The world is off to hell in a handcart. We may have to move.

More
6 years 1 month ago #538554 by Muz1
Do you have some firewood close to the boundary that needs chainsawing at say 11pm with big flood lights lighting the area to see what you are doing? Don't get mad-get even!

Everything Must be Somewhere
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalmara, max2, igor, iSor

More
6 years 1 month ago #538555 by Ruth
They're not our immediate neighbours, up on the hill that faces our flats, so their noise channels down to us. I don't know how they live with it!

More
6 years 1 month ago #538556 by max2

Ruth wrote: How do these people without consideration or empathy exist? The world is off to hell in a handcart. We may have to move.

Ahead of you on that one and good luck if you do! We found a very likable property 4 times larger than our existing set up and remote.... turns out one of the major reasons owners are selling is because the land is being disrespected by human visitors when they are not at the farm themselves...

More
6 years 1 month ago #538557 by Ruth
Bloody issues everywhere! There was someone out the back of ours this morning, shouting for their dogs. I hope they get go-slow from any pigs they caught. And since they were there, I hope they did actually do something useful like catching some of the pigs. I think I might go back to bed this year and get back out the other side later.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds