Help with flystrike in sheep please

More
6 years 3 months ago #538415 by charlotte1
I am looking after my neighbours sheep. Despite not being a sheep person I have researched a little. Noticed 3 acting a little strange, rubbing and aggitated. Finally managed to yard them and yes they have flystrike. There is maggots but looks like they have not yet eaten flesh. Sheep were shorn not too long ago would say about November and are not dirty. They left some Maggo which I liberally put on the affected area plus on surrounding non affected area, this was last night. Today they don't seem so aggitated and actually out grazing with their paddock mates. Flies are still hanging around though. What else can I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538417 by muri
Was just reading about the benefits of washing them in detol to kill off the maggots and eggs. Dilute it down though.
If you can, clip the wool first but I would imagine that the maggo has done the trick. You also need to watch the area doesnt become infected. I spray the area with the purple footrot spray if you have some as it can prevent infection.
I think you have done really well to deal with this if you dont have sheep experience

More
6 years 3 months ago #538420 by charlotte1
We were considering some sheep for our block, but this has put me off, was so yuck. I have cattle and horse experience so not a total non-stock person. Actually roped in the other neighbours as there was no way I was able to yard the little minx's.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538426 by Tui Ridge
This year has been shocking for flystrike!

Sounds like you've done a good job - the maggo provides some protection for a few weeks but you'll need to keep an eye on the other sheep. Hopefully the owners will be back to takeover soon!

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
6 years 3 months ago #538430 by LongRidge
The maggo that we have comes in an aluminium flask as a concentrate , of which a tiny amount is put into a plastic bottle up to a purple line, then filled with water and shaken. With this dilution we use about half the bottle on a small strike, spraying about 10 cm out from the strike, all around it. A big strike needs a whole bottle :-(.
I like to see the extent of the problem so I clip the wool, but I shouldn't. The wool should not be clipped so that less sunburn happens to the new skin.
Ask your vet if they hire out an applicator for you to apply some Zapp or whatever it's called. This stuff will last on the animal for about 6 weeks (less when raining), and when it is starting to wear off the maggots grow much less quickly on the animal so less harm is done to them by the maggots.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538456 by tonybaker
the only way is to keep them well shorn, and have the Maggo handy. I got sick of doing that so went for Dorpers and Wiltshires.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #538458 by Ronney
Sorry Tony but Dorpers and Wiltshires also get strike and I think there is a recent post on here to that end.

Charlotte, don't let fly strike put you off owning sheep. Because of weather conditions, this has been a particularly bad year for it but under normal conditions - and even in a bad year - it's a matter of management strategy. Have the sheep shorn as late into December as is possible and at the end of January look at giving preventative pour-on which should take them through the worst of the hot, humid part of summer. If it doesn't, do it again. Not rocket science. And frankly, I don't go down the path of too much chemical input, I go down the path of not having to see sheep being eaten to death by maggots.

Many in my area can't work out why I persist in owning sheep. Apart from the fact that I like a mutton roast (not lamb, it's insipid), they are also my best cleaner-uppers when run behind the cattle. They don't share the same worms and are happy to clean up what the cattle leave behind. Which is why I guess beef farmers were always beef and sheep farmers - one went with the other.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 3 months ago #538467 by LongRidge
The flies that we have attack clean and short-wool areas of the sheep, when the sheep are hiding in the shade of a tree that has been planted for shade. When I get a round tuit, I'm going to cut those darned nuisance trees and shelter-belts out.
We spray shearing cuts with the antibiotic purple spray to speed up healing, but have to apply an anti-fly dressing at least twice, every 6 to 8 weeks, over summer. We have used Vetrazin since it became available, but there are easier ways of applying anti-fly these days. Remember that there is a wool with-holding period after using these treatments.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538496 by Baroque
We also use a preventative on our sheep, most recently this has been Cyrex which seems to work really well.

It's easy to apply using a watering can or a back pack sprayer. From what the vets have said the worst flies we are getting now are those Australian green flies which attack all sorts of areas on the poor sheep.

I do a daily check of the flock during summer which helps to keep a close watch on anything problematic

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538520 by charlotte1
Yes they were the green flies. I have since re-yarded the sheep and checked them over. The maggots are black and shrivelled. Over the weekend I will re-yard and check again.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds