Uneven concrete water tank

More
6 years 3 months ago #538146 by npnz
Hi all

I have a new 25,000L concrete water tank installed but the prep base was uneven (dodgey level), so its about 100mm low on one side.
Is it an issue with the tank structure & engineering side of things? Would it be best to uplift the tank and even out the ground or safe to say all is good?
I'm not concerned over the loss of capacity (about 1000L).

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538148 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Uneven concrete water tank
Level is an interesting term, in this case!

What does the installer/provider say?

More
6 years 3 months ago #538159 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Uneven concrete water tank
Hi, did you put the pad down, or did the tank company. Also if the tank has not got much water in and you can get by without the water(e.g. an alternative source until it rains.) see if you can level it,you will be always loooking at it and wishing you had fixed it, easier to do when empty. (possibly other folk who visit will say your tank is not level!!! as they do) Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 3 months ago #538180 by LongRidge
Hmmmm. I would think
1. If your land is level -ish, in that the tank can't slide down the hill, then there will be no problem.
2. If the tank is dug into the side of a slope or is at the top of a hill, and the slope of the tank is downhill then there could be problems, especially if the overflow is on the up hill side of the tank.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538205 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Uneven concrete water tank
My concern would be that a lop sided tank would put pressure on the side of the tank and if there is any weaknesses, you could get future problems.
My brand new tank is less than a year old and is leaking really badly after the last big rain

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #538207 by Alan Gilbert
At any given depth the pressure is the same in all directions. At a slope of 1:30 (which is about what this is) the increase in pressure on the downhill side will be negligible.

And the technical term for a level that reckons 1:30 is horizontal is not "dodgy", mate, it's "stuffed"!

Clearly it's the responsibility of whoever "levelled" the site to fix the problem. I'm with 4trees—if you leave it, the sight of it will eventually drive you nuts.

Of course, we're all assuming that the base is flat, though not horizontal. If that's not the case, you really have no choice but to fix the problem. The tank MUST rest on flat ground. After all, 25,000 litres of water weighs 25 tonnes, and if the base of the tank is not evenly supported, it won't thank you.

And Muri, is your tank under warranty still? Even if it's not, a new tank that leaks after only a year is obviously not of merchantable quality.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538215 by tonybaker
if it is a "concrete" tank, they are fairly bomb proof. I would not worry about its structural integrity, moving it may cause damage if you don’t have the correct lifting gambrel. Maybe the slope will encourage the sludge to collect nicely in one place! The tank may leak a bit at first, it's normal. I painted mine white to keep the water cool.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds