Valais Sheep in NZ!

More
6 years 3 months ago #538484 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!

kate28 wrote: Good grief, just saw these little fellas on trademe at $1500 for a Wether. Would almost want to take out insurance on them!

Good God, and what the hell is anybody going to do with a wether other than eat it! Quite frankly, people piss me off charging this sort of money for something that is completely useless other than a paddock ornament - and the idiots that buy them piss me off just as much.

No Wren, I wouldn't find it fun to go and look at some wethers going for ridiculous prices just because they are a supposedly "rare breed". Are they? They might be in NZ, they're not in their country of origin.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538489 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
MJ44 never returned. Just another advertiser.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538521 by bonita22
Replied by bonita22 on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
They are so cute. Didn't see them before...

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #538540 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!

Ronney wrote: No Wren, I wouldn't find it fun to go and look at some wethers going for ridiculous prices just because they are a supposedly "rare breed". Are they? They might be in NZ, they're not in their country of origin.

Ah come on Ronney - they're pretty cool-looking sheep! ;)

I'm not the kind of person that wants them as a paddock ornament, but if someone else is willing to pay that much for a fancy lawnmower, that's up to them! I'm following the ones on trademe just out of interest as to whether they will sell or not...

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wren.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538541 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
With apologies to English essayist Charles Lamb --
The Valais sheep were sweet, but the mountain sheep were fatter.
We therefore deemed it mete to carry off the latter...

More
6 years 3 months ago #538543 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
:)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 3 months ago #538638 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
No sheep is worth that amount when you cant breed from it, what an absolute waste of money in my eyes. I would get bored looking at a paddock full of them, they all look the same

More
6 years 3 months ago #538641 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Plenty of people will spend that much for a unique pet, and that would be the reason to buy a wether you are not going to eat. I guess it is just that we don't see sheep as pets in the same way as we do dogs and cats. Many breeds of dog or cat cost that much, and if someone wants an interesting sheep pet then they might see it in the same light.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538658 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Personally I dont regard sheep as domestic pets, even though many people attempt to turn them into such, nappies on the couch watching tv etc.
Pet sheep are a pain in the proverbial as they are often not well integrated into a flock of sheep. Many of my sheep are tame and I can pat or scratch them in the paddock and they will happily come to me as such. But its important that they are part of the flock so that they can eat and behave like the other sheep in my paddock
I havent seen the advertisement, so dont even know if these sheep are hand tame or not.
To me, turning farm animals into domestic pets is not a particuloarly healthy venture, - sheep are temperamental in their health as it is - but each to their own

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds