Valais Sheep in NZ!

More
6 years 3 months ago #538110 by MJ44
Valais Sheep in NZ! was created by MJ44
Has anyone seen these adorable sheep? They are now in New Zealand! (all the way from Switzerland!).

www.remarkablevalais.co.nz/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538111 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
And you're advertising these "adorable" creatures, presumably, for sale at ridiculous, not adorable prices?

More
6 years 3 months ago #538112 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
The lambs are a bit cute! Hadn't heard of them before. If they are yours you are welcome to just say the likes of "here are my new sheep, also new to NZ" :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #538113 by Ruth
And a personal introduction is usual.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538114 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Hi MJ44 and welcome to the forum:) . However, you have got off to a bad start because as has been pointed out, it is normal to introduce yourself and what you're doing. Perhaps deal with that first?

As to the sheep, I do know about them and wouldn't bother with them. They do better in the colder climate of their native Switzerland than they ever will in the Far North of NZ. They might do ok in the lower South. They are promoted as a dual purpose sheep - so are the Romney, Perendale, Cheviot, Merino etc. I would personally stay clear of them because of the black wool which extends over most of the face and parts of the legs.

I have no doubt you will be charging exorbitant prices for the off-spring of these sheep and I also have no doubt you will find punters out there that will pay for them. I won't be one of them but good on you for giving something a go.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 3 months ago #538116 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Hi MJ44, are you just interested in the breed or are you the importer?

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 3 months ago #538117 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Any new breeds brought into NZ are over priced when on sold.
Damara, Baby Doll , Awassi are all over priced at $900 each. Within a few generations these prices drop considerably so you have an over priced animal, possibly sold as it didnt make the cut in terms of the breed.
Also, the shorter the period of time they have been in the country, the less adapted they are to our climatic conditions.
Unfortunately, many sheep are chosen for their designer qualities these days rather than their health, suitablity etc.
Life style farmers in particular have been the main driver for this movement towards paddock decorating via livestock.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #538120 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Greetings MJ44 and thank you for your post. I realise the importance of diversifying the gene pool, and of trying new breeds to find out their suitability for NZ conditions :-). I have not been brave enough to do it myself, having seen so many failures in projects such as ostriches and emus, and how to process wallaby, opossum, rabbit, camellid, equine, and bison for meat and skin :-(.
So good on you for trying. At least your choice will fit into the current processing environment.
It will be very interesting to see how these sheep handle Facial Eczema. NZ's FE bugs are hugely, hugely worse than elsewhere in the world. Also their hoof and worm resistance aspects will be interesting, as well as fecundity and meat quality, and ability to handle low quality pasture and low amounts of essential minerals. Hopefully you have solved all these problems :-) :-)
Good luck and I hope your project is a financial success.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by LongRidge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanna

More
6 years 3 months ago #538131 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
I have been watching this breed for a long time and have probably communicated with you about doing just as you have. I am excited about the introduction here. They have an amazing nature.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538143 by Devon Dumpling
Replied by Devon Dumpling on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
I had heard quite the opposite regarding their nature, by that I mean I've heard they are quite a handful, it'll be interesting to see how they fair.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538145 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
It is nice to know new breeds are being brought in to NZ, so thanks MJ for letting us know about Valais sheep : ).

Will be interesting to see how they fair. We do have plenty of breeds that aren't that well suited to NZ conditions but they still seem to be popular enough, especially amoungst lifestylers, and conditions around the country vary enough that I'm sure they'll do okay somewhere.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538157 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
I bet everybody's first lamb will be called Panda :lol: :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 3 months ago #538158 by Ruth
Or Mortgage.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538477 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
Good grief, just saw these little fellas on trademe at $1500 for a Wether. Would almost want to take out insurance on them!

More
6 years 2 months ago #538478 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Valais Sheep in NZ!
There is going to be a couple of first cross valais blacknose wethers available at the Rare Breeds Auction at Willowbank in Christchurch next month. Not sure what the reserve will be but it will be fun to go and take a look at them :)

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds