Bladder wort

More
6 years 2 months ago #537962 by AlanL
Bladder wort was created by AlanL
We are in the Far North and I have just identified that we have bladder wort in our pond :pinch:

Anyone got and advice or suggestions on how to deal with this pest weed? We have begun to manually extract it from the water but it comes up in very large mats. The main problem with that approach is that the plant's fragile limbs break off and leave fragments that then need to be chased down and netted in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537963 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Bladder wort
Sounds awful!

We have Potamogeton cheesemanii, which has taken some effort to control, to stop it trapping swimming children.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537964 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Bladder wort
Have you got in touch with DoC yet? If not, that would be my first port of call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlanL

More
6 years 2 months ago #537971 by AlanL
Replied by AlanL on topic Bladder wort
We also have a variant of that, but I am leaving it there to provide some shading of the water surface. This warm wet weather has brought the gremlins out for sure.

More
6 years 2 months ago #537973 by AlanL
Thanks. Done :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #537975 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Bladder wort
A lot of these pond weeds come about when water become swarm, hence the value of shading around ponds, when nitrogen levels are high eg run off from fertiliser, and also when ducks go from one pond to another and transfer weeds.
This means if you remove the weed without changing the reason for it, the weed will return.
It you talk to DOC about grass carp, they will clean up various pond weeds and keep the water clear,, unlike other carp varieties which are banned

More
6 years 2 months ago #537979 by AlanL
Nutrients are an issue. I have built some swales to help reduce nutrient levels and have yet to plant them with rushes, etc. I would have to be convinced about grass carp to be honest. We are only just now getting water lilies to spread around the margins (the pond is too deep for them to get into the middle) and oioi's on the edges.
Wouldn't grass carp introduce their own poo? I have read they can eat prodigious amounts of plant material.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds