Mulching gorse!

More
6 years 2 months ago #538012 by lsbloke
Replied by lsbloke on topic Mulching gorse!
Hi M and M

I'm waging a war on many many acres of gorse on parts of our farm some very steep indeed. We have had areas mulched in the past (big big machines - 200hp ) - and results are good and around $1,000 for a 6 hour stint!

But now I've got a decent spray tank for the back of our compact tractor and load up on still days with brushkiller and penetrant and just move the battle front further and further into the stands - or tog up in overalls and take the chainsaw deep into the gorse and cut it down and paint stumps with vigilant (or the cheaper post patent paste)

its good work and great to see the advance when the sprayed stuff browns off - better to see the heaps growing where its been cut - the ends make good firewood too once it dries! the areas where its dominated tend to be very fertile too grass rockets away!! (best to chuck some seed where post gorse the ground is bare or you'll get other weeds)

The gorse will regrow but hard grazing esp with say goats you'll stay on top of it they'll deal to young tender new growth.

I have small paddocks where I leave the really green gorse for the goats to eat and only take out the taller stuff - rule of thumb - if it can produce seeds chop it and before they pop!

Just get into it and enjoy farming - there is no magic for this one - as the others have said - just hard work!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: m and m

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538017 by m and m
Replied by m and m on topic Mulching gorse!
Hi Organix, Thanks for sharing that information. I was actually reading about gorse being a legume just before you wrote your post but you have put it into a more easily understood format!
My partner and I are currently looking at buying a 11hp mulcher and getting started ASAP especially with this wind that has started up and the effect it's going to have on the gorse that is flowering at the moment. We are also getting the soil tested so it will be interesting to see how high in nitrogen the land is. Thanks again.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538018 by m and m
Replied by m and m on topic Mulching gorse!
Hi Lsbloke!

Thanks for letting us know how much it cost you to have someone come in and do some of the mulching for you. We have been making some inquiries as to the cost of hiring an 11hp mulcher and over a few days it would be just as cheap to buy one so that's what we are planning to do. Interesting to know that it can be used as firewood. I wouldn't use it though after it has been sprayed because of the possibility that it could be carcinogenic. Yes I agree that it just has to be dealt to and we are lucky that we have very little relatively speaking. Also, given what a good source of nitrogen it is, I'm thinking that it will help reduce our fertiliser bill if a bit time consuming!. Good luck with your land clearance as well.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538025 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Mulching gorse!
Yes, any gorse (or broom) too big to easily chip makes great firewood, and luckily the older bits lose (most of) their prickly bits, making them not too horrible to handle. Gorse is hard and burns hot.
It also makes strong wooden spoons, and I have turned some broom into a pretty shoehorn.

More
6 years 2 months ago #538027 by Kiwi Tussock
Replied by Kiwi Tussock on topic Mulching gorse!
I to had gorse prob.
An old guy told me not to burn the bushes where they stand after spraying.
He said that the heat will initiate the seds and the next crop will be absolutely massive.
I moved each branch (a couple of acres of it) and burnt it in a specific area where it was likely going to be grazed and then stock would munch any that grew from rogue seeds that didnt burn.
I actually didnt have any problem from new seedlings coming up at the burning pozi. and the original growing spot where they came from, didnt become troublesome for about 5 years either.
I moved properties so dont know what the outcome will be now (28 yrs later)
Best wishes

More
6 years 2 months ago #538030 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Mulching gorse!
Gorse like many seeds have a hard-shell factor that allows viable seed to last years in the ground. Some shells are harder than others. An old saying was ''one year's seeding = forty years weeding''.
The hard shell needs conditions to crack or break the shell to let moisture in and start germination. Scarification like bulldozing or stock treading or land slides are ways the shell will crack along with heat or cold being other means of cracking the shell.
This is why after burning or track making or frosts or excessive heat seeds germinate. Underground seed won't be destroyed by surface fires.
Clover seed germination certificates used to have a pre-chilled tag indicating the seed sample has been refigerated for a given period prior to germination testing. I have not seen a certificate for ages so don't know if this practice continues.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 2 months ago #538034 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Mulching gorse!
It is my belief that gorse grows when the soil is low in both sulphur so sulphate, and nitrogen. If the soil has more sulphate than gorse likes then clover will grow, but not grasses. When there is lots of clover growing but not much grasses, then there is not enough nitrate and probably phosphate for grasses.
Your body is able to dispose of some carcinogens. Apples and potatoes have a relatively huge amount of carcinogens, as does smoked foods. If these were new discoveries they would probably be banned as unsafe :-(. Sunlight is cancerous in excess, but it is almost absolutely essential for good health. So except if you are smoking the weeds that have been sprayed, and very often, you are extremely unlikely to get cancer from rotted sprayed plants.
But .... some herbicide sprays are long lasting so not good for growing the plants that are susceptible to the chemical. Glyphosate apparently poisons the bacteria in pasture soil, but is not too harmful for tree micro-organisms. The herbicide in Tordon harms some trees, but not grass. It might have some residual soil activity, especially if you pour it onto the ground. But when spraying gorse with it you are only attempting to get it onto the leaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mudlerk

More
3 years 4 months ago #553386 by Plover
Replied by Plover on topic Mulching gorse!
Sorry to trawl up this old thread but I thought it would be tidier than starting a new one for my gorse mulching question. Can anyone tell me please, if I were to kill the gorse by drilling the trunk and injecting poison, then coming back later and mulching it, would the seed still be viable? I have a patch of reasonably mature gorse that I'd like to just go and cut with the chain saw and stump swab, but if I do that I can't get to the middle of the patch because of all the cut gorse. I'm thinking if I can chip away at the edges by poisoning then mulching I could eventually make my way to the middle!

More
3 years 4 months ago #553387 by LongRidge
Gorse seeds will sit in the ground for many year until the condutuons are right for germination. Unfortunately, in NZ the conditions will be right for them much sooner ... unless you make the soil conditions better for other plants to grow and worse for gorse to grow. I've had some success with spraying the gorse or stump swabbing , then fertilising for pasture, and using goats and donkeys to graze any regrowth.

More
3 years 4 months ago #553388 by Plover
Replied by Plover on topic Mulching gorse!
So spraying/poisoning the plant doesn't kill the seeds it's carrying at the time?

More
3 years 4 months ago #553389 by LongRidge
Not much, nor the seeds that are around the bushes of gorse :-(.

More
3 years 4 months ago #553401 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Mulching gorse!
There will be plenty of gorse seed in the soil so don't worry about any on the plant. They won't add much to what is already there.
We have mulched a lot of gorse and had no issues with seeds in the mulch germinating. Either they rot or are eaten, but we have had no seeds grow within the mulch over several years - but as soon as we disturb the soil where the gorse was growing some will germinate.

More
3 years 2 months ago #553980 by mlkoldau
Replied by mlkoldau on topic Mulching gorse!
What kind of mulcher did you buy? How has your experience been? Thanks

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds