Swimming pool

More
6 years 3 months ago #537821 by Song
Swimming pool was created by Song
Hi guys,

We are contemplating building a swimming pool. We are looking at saving up to build maybe in a year or two years time. From you experience:

1. how expensive is it? I am thinking if we want to build it, we have to save up to have one of the better ones incl landscaping, fencing around it...Any experience around it? How much does it cost you guys?

2. whats the cost for maintenance? and also the time involved. Is it worth it for you guys?

3. any other tips or things to look out for when planning to build?

Thank you so much guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537822 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Swimming pool
Can't help you with the building but here's some food for thought
We had a house with a pool and young children. The first summer they lived in it, the next summer not so much. Then there was a couple of years where they didn't use it at all. Then we started to have teen-age parties and had to contend with people (boys !) jumping off the house roof into the pool and glass in the pool ( in spite of the rules) . There was also the constant checking when we had baby visitors that the older children hadn't left the gate open. Part of the time we were in a drought and weren't allowed to top up the pool so had to rig up a line of guttering to catch the roof water if it rained. And of course all the way through we had to maintain the pool whether it was being used or not.
We don't live there now and I would never bother with a pool again. But that's just me ;)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
The following user(s) said Thank You: Song

More
6 years 3 months ago #537827 by Song
Replied by Song on topic Swimming pool
Yeah that is our concern as well - that we will not use it after the first year... Lots of money for just one year or few years use.
We are also very concern about children and pool.
Thank you for the thoughts. Will have to really think more before committing.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537829 by iSor
Replied by iSor on topic Swimming pool
I’m with Anakei, don’t do it, you will be a slave to it.
We put one in 20 years ago, tiled and fenced around it , about $50,000 then and I’m the only one using it now.
Get an above ground one from the warehouse for the kids to play in, they’ll have just as much fun and you can get them proper swimming lessons somewhere else.
We are on our third salt chlorinator ($2000 now), second pump, and second “ thingee” with the selector handle to filter, pump or backwash etc.
The equipment is expensive so that swims end up being hundreds of dollars each some seasons☹️
It is a luxury and fun for a while but you never recoup the money you put into it when it comes to sell your house, whereas you can always take out an above ground one and replace the lawn if you don’t want a pool any longer.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537830 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Swimming pool
iSOR has summed up well. There are quick assembly pools that free-stand above ground that can be taken down for winter. Saves problem of locked gates and maintenance when pool not used over cold times which in many areas is much longer than when good water temperatures are present.
If in the country pools are a good fire insurance with or without maintenance.
Maintenance is not too bad if ph levels are kept to optimum and a good filter system is in place.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 3 months ago #537836 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Swimming pool
Another idea, if you have school-aged children and their school has a pool, see if the school "sells" pool keys. Our school does this (to school families only) as it helps to keep the pool running costs down. It's $90 and we get a $20 bond back at the end of the swimming season when we hand the keys back. It's great over the school holidays and so much cheaper than having a pool ourselves (we don't have the water available anyway!) or going to the nearest council-run pools ($15 per visit). By the end of summer, the cost of the key has paid itself off, as we go nearly every afternoon.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
6 years 3 months ago #537838 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic Swimming pool
Also, I don't know what your water supply situation is, but pools lose a lot of water through evaporation over the course of a day. Friends who have a pool in a rural area have 5 water tanks, and struggle to keep it topped up during drought conditions. Just something else to consider.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #537892 by Song
Replied by Song on topic Swimming pool
Thank you all for all the advice. We are in the process of getting some landscaping done, and really like the idea of how a pool really changed the look and feel of the house (i know unnecessary expenses! can be called silly reason to have a pool... but these last few days of heat just push us towards having one!). But after reading the above concerns... I have to rethink again....
@gracelands and 5 water tanks!!! thats crazy. We are on trickle feed. and only have one tank.... so don't think we can cope with having a pool at home!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Song.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537893 by iSor
Replied by iSor on topic Swimming pool
Just one more thing, if you have (hard) bore water like we do, you would need to have a water softener to put that water into the pool otherwise balancing the chemicals becomes more of a challenge. Chlorinated town supply on the other hand however is perfect.
We just rely on rainwater to fill it up most of the time now, either from the tanks if were desperate or when it rains and then there’s the risk of too much rain where the pool overflows and you have to replace lost chemicals which amount to a few hundred dollars per season anyway.
It is relaxing to look at water I must say, perhaps a fountain with running water in the nice landscaped area instead?

More
6 years 3 months ago #537896 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic Swimming pool
Apparently some folks are using shipping containers with the top cut off as a cheap swimming pool.

I've never seen one and don't know what the cost would be like once you add pumps and filters etc but it could be an option.

If half buried or left above ground, fencing could be avoided by simply having a locked or removable ladder to access it.

It might not be pretty but could be okay once painted inside and out.

I have used a pool that was effectively an open topped water tank, which was great for jumping into and splashing around in, though not what you'd want for doing laps. This pool had no filtering system etc with just a cupful of chlorine chucked into it (I'm not sure how often), so it did get a bit slimy eventually and needed cleaning out once or twice a year (climate was sub-tropical). One advantage of a deep pool with less surface area is less evaporation, and if it's small enough a cover could be used easily enough.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds