1965 Massey Ferguson 35

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #537815 by Rod Brown
I am going to change the oil and filter but I have forgotten what oil to get. Petrol 4cyl.
Can anyone help or advise!
Thanks

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Rod Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537817 by WillNZ
Replied by WillNZ on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
Depending on the condition of the motor, if good/uses no oil, then a mineral SAE30 [or 10W30 if it gets very cold in winter and not shed stored]. If it uses oil, try a SAE40 [or 10W40 again if it is cold where you are].

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #537924 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
Remember these engines were built before fancy oils were available so don't go overboard. I guess the tractor does not do too much hard work or get much use so a cheaper oil is ok. The main thing is to change the oil in the air filter, that’s the thing sticking out of the bonnet, and change the engine oil filter. Unfortunately, you need about 5 litres of oil so you have to look for 5 litre containers at the shop. Repco has a good range and also The Warehouse. Whilst you are at it, change the transmission oil, that’s just cheap 20/40, but you need quite a bit of it. Sometimes they have a leak around the PTO shaft. It's an easy job the change the seal.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by tonybaker.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537929 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
Fergy 35's were just vanguard engines, so if you can't find a service manual for one, then you might for the other.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 3 months ago #537930 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
Thank you all, I bought 8lt of 15-40 Mobil oil from Repco plus filter and have done the job plus changed oil in the air filter. I know it is a Vanguard engine, which I had reconditioned about 150 engine hours ago (a few years ago) I haven't changed the transmission oil yet! Just thinking about it.
Rod

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537955 by tonybaker
the transmission is easy, no filter to worry about. First check if you need to replace the PTO seal. The drain plug is underneath at the rear. There is a lot of oil in there so don't let it go on the ground! Something like 30 litres.....I use plain old cheap 20/40 and it works fine, no need for hydraulic oil. The fill plug is quite large and should be located somewhere near the gear stick.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #537959 by wolfeto
Replied by wolfeto on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
TractorElf ST3 can be used in both the engine and the transmission which is great for people like me who can never remember what oil to put where.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537960 by wolfeto
I think there’s a transmission oil filter behind the PTO lever plate.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #537992 by tonybaker
as I said - you don't need to go overboard on oils for Fergies. Just get 20/40 for engine and same for transmission. Almost impossible to get single grade oil these days.
Copied from the net "Yes there is a filter, but it"s better described as a screen. It"s on the inlet to the hydro pump. I understand there is a safety wire on it. To access it, remove the PTO shifter cover, the round one on the left side of the tranny under the seat. Take note of how the shifter is connected to the gear, you"ve got to get it back on the same way, but it"s not hard to do. Then reach in and just forward of the hole you"ll find the screen with a screw cap on with raised sections to act as handles. If you have the wire, take it off and unscrew the cap and take the screen out. You can wash it in paint thinner, household solvent, to clean it. Of course it"s best to do this after the oil is drained out. When you pull the drain plugs, one near the front and one near the back of the tranny, don"t be too shocked if you find metal shards clinging to the tip of the magnetic plug. There is a cup below the screen. Be sure to lift it with the filter, else the collected grunge will run directly into the pump."
Thanks Wolfeto for telling us this, better check mine! I believe there is another mesh screen behind a deflector near the first screen?
Here is website

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by tonybaker.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538026 by Kiwi Tussock
When ever I have a vehicle to do an oil change but am unsure of what to get, I call up an oil company and ask them.
They have books on all sorts of makes and types of engines and they will even tell you the volume you'll need.
Some engines have very specific grades and their book tells them all that stuff as well.
I have taken to using Valvoline in Chch (DR Britton Ltd) and have found them excellent. They also get me any filters I might be after and usually are considerably cheaper than Repco or Super crap.
Odd ball filters have been also obtained by them, which was most helpful.
Cheers

More
6 years 3 months ago #538050 by wolfeto
Agreed. I don’t subscribe to the chuck any old oil in it theory. My fergie had so many problems when I first got her, which all turned out to be owing to the oil the previous owner had used. The oil companies do sell specific oil designed for these tractors and a convo with them is well worth it in my opinion. The guys I worked with even drove out the farm to deliver it for free, and we had a chinwag about tractor maintenance. Good stuff.

More
6 years 3 months ago #538058 by tonybaker
well, I have had my F35x for 15 years or more and have used 20/40 both ends, diesel grade in the front. I think the secret is to change the oil and filter often, rather than go for the most expensive oil. Of course, if you are a 'proper' farmer then things may be different as there would be more stress on the engine. The best thing about Fergies was that they were overbuilt for the engine size, so it was hard to stress them too much. Keep the radiator free from debris and check oil/water levels often and all will be sweet!

More
6 years 3 months ago #538091 by wttmf
Replied by wttmf on topic 1965 Massey Ferguson 35
FYI Repco have tractor engine/hydro/tras oil on special at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds