Important news....please read

More
6 years 3 months ago #537214 by Mental
That's great news Kate - again if there is anything I can help with just shout out the offer is there.

Cheers, Jason

20 Acres, two old houses, two old orchards, old milk shed, old barn, one big pond, and neighbours cattle - our own to follow one day...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537221 by Anakei
I am so happy :) I logged in just to see if LSB still works and it does
Unfortunately if it moved to Facebook I for one would drop out as I have objections to the way FB operates.
Do launch an appeal, Kate. I would certainly contribute.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 3 months ago #537225 by terralee
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
So happy for the reprieve ...this site has been part of my life for so long ...was going to miss it and all the family on it so much ...thank you Kate for now:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Hope we can figure out a way to keep it up and running ...you are awesome :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
6 years 3 months ago #537243 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Important news....please read
I'm so happy that Kate has given us a reprieve. As one that doesn't 'do' FB, it would have been the end of LSB for me as well. Thanks heaps, Kate. I'm going to try and post more - I've been very slack the past couple of years.

Also thanks to those of the LSB family that have offered technical assistance. That was a really kind offer on behalf of us all. Personally, I don't need a lot of fancy bits and pieces - just being able to read and post comments, search stuff easily and add photos is just fine for me.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537252 by GrayHawk
Yippee, what good news! As a dedicated lurker, who checked the forum every weekday morning, I was expecting the site to have "disappeared" this morning..... but it's still here! Kate please let us how we can financially contribute (my IT knowledge is not worth contributing!). Regards, Sue

Me, partner, 1934 Ford Roadster 351C, 1970 Ford Maverick Grabber SB383 drag car, GMC Surburban BB454 tow wagon, Magnum 1850 speed boat, SB383-powered jet boat, Yamaha Big Bear quad bike, Honda mini-chopper, Murray ride-on mower, Fergus and Carby the Farm Beardies, the Ginga Brothers (Noughts and...

More
6 years 3 months ago #537255 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Important news....please read
What a happy new year!!!
I'm not a facebook fan/user and do not need the frilly extras on LSB. I do very much enjoy the posts answering questions which I might ask at some stage.
Kate, please make the most of the IT offers of help. Tech talk to me of engines, Joomla etc sound to me like discussion on a Chinese import water pump or something so I'm way out of depth to comment but I appreciate those that know offering their knowledge.
Great stuff and a good six months to come.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 3 months ago #537267 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Important news....please read
Thanks again to everyone who's contacted me here and via emails and private message. I have replied to most emails and am trying to get to the PMs today. I managed to contract mumps in the lead up to the holidays so haven't been feeling up to doing much. It's very tiring, having mumps :S :S On the other hand it's a great excuse not to be sociable B)

Anyway, I'm trying to get my head around what has to be done and how I have to do it so nothing is going to change much in the short term. We do need to update the site template (so we can update joomla - the existing template causes the site to crash if we update) but that will be in a week or two.

Thanks for the offers of donations etc - I'll look into that when I'm feeling stronger. There are ways to support the site without spending any money - post in this forum, rather than just lurking, follow our Facebook page, support our advertisers, and in general be an advocate for the site.

The great Google rankings we've achieved, along with the large membership means that if any major disaster strikes, this site will be the fastest way to reach lifestyle farmers. If this site didn't exist and I wanted to start it up I could probably get funding from MPI as it meets their objectives but as I've done it for 17 years they seem to think that I should keep doing it without their support. To be fair, they're great with the moral support...but nothing that actually helps.

I have a feeling we'll all still be here 17 years from now :blink: :blink:

Happy new year and all the very best for 2018!

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Kiwi Tussock

More
6 years 3 months ago #537270 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Important news....please read
I wonder whether a mass letter-writing campaign to MPI would be a supportive possibility? We do all provide a tremendous service to those who have nowhere other for generally reliable information and if MPI would fund it if it didn't exist, they should fund it now! The hard work is already done.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537298 by jeannielea
Ruth has voiced my thought. Or an online petition might work. Or letters to govt minister are free by snail mail and I'm sure Winston loves getting heaps and heaps of mail!
Kate sorry to hear about the mumps. Its definitely not small matter and I wish you a good recovery - can't say speedy as I think it has to take it's course.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537302 by gina.t
I'm sure someone has already suggested this but what about crowd funding? This page is ultimately a community resource that helps people to live more sustainably and I'm sure a lot of people would be keen to donate to that.

We have found this page to be an absolute blessing in our first year of lifestyle block ownership. A year ago we brought our property and found ourselves landed with 26 Gotland sheep that a friend of a friend couldn't keep, most of them were pregnant which we didn't know. We would have had no idea what to do if it wasn't for this page - so thank you!

More
6 years 3 months ago #537372 by Jontashya
Hi Kate
Thanks again for the great site. I like many hear have learned a huge amount, and knowing there is access to this huge resource of archived and immediate knowledge is very reassuring.
I am also a member of the www.nzbees.net
They have recently introduced a new way of funding. I know that you are not keen on charging for access but their system works well. Basically there is a tiered system of yearly payments. If you pay nothing you have access to the forum but see lots of advertising. The first payment gets rid of the adds the next gets gets access to the classifieds the next etc. Etc. But mostly you have full access to the forum without paying albeit with annoying adds.
May be worth looking into.
Jonathan

More
6 years 3 months ago #537556 by Organix

kate wrote: Thanks again.

I've had literally hundreds of messages asking that the site not be closed, that the information not be lost. So I've decided to keep the site going for at least another six months and try to overcome some of the problems. LSB Plus will be closed as some of the elements of that are the most intractable.

So....sorry for all the alarm, back to normal (ish).

Cheers
Kate

Hi Kate,

A long time since I last posted on LSB but have visited via Google searches for info on numerous occasions in the interim. We went through a fairly traumatic move from our previous 1.5 acre home about 12 months back resulting from a neighbour who turned his property into a car related museum and theme park which totally trashed our peaceful rural existence. (Rant over)

Somebody smiled down on us though as are now the owners of a beautiful but very neglected 7 acre property that has seen us extremely busy during 2017 as we were literally built fences one paddock ahead of our 5 beefies and 11 Suffolk ewes (now with 11 lambs) during one of the wettest years on record, even for Inglewood. Duck run building and orchard plantings were also fitted in there somehow B)

Next project on the list is a set of cattle and sheep yards which is how I've ended up back on LSB to also discover your disappointing posts regarding LSB's imminent closure. In the same vein as many of the preceeding posts I am one of the 'invisible' members who while seldom leaving any trace of my visits am often grateful for the extremely valuable wealth of info that LSB's archived postings contain.

As an online retailer I'm well aware of the time and effort that goes into maintaining a website, and can imagine the difficulties you are encountering in making the enterprise cover its expenses, at least. I also avoid paying for online content, probably except for the occasional Wikipedia donation. Unfortunately though it is increasingly becoming a case that where online content is concerned "if you're not paying for the product, you are the product".

A couple of suggestions for what they are worth:
  • Have you considered crowd funding as a potential financial lifeline?
  • If you do end up as yet another Facebook page please make it accessible to those of us that actively avoid FB. The link you posted above results in a FB login page and not being a FB 'member' this excludes us from accessing any info there.

I look forward to making the most of LSB's online reference library for as long as it is there. Thank you very much Kate for what is a truly unique website and best wishes on the next stage of your life. I expect you're going to have much more time to devote to whatever it brings you.

Kind regards,
Tony (and Maggie - my ex-Brit)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds