Important news....please read

More
6 years 3 months ago #537076 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Important news....please read
Congratulations Kate on having run such a successful site for such a length of time, it has certainly proved very supportive at times and I have met [in person] a wide range of lovely people who I share many values with. Perhaps working through FB is a good solution without the technical issues so there is no reason why it couldnt continue basically in the same form that it currently exists?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537079 by 4trees
Hi Kate, thanks for all your time and effort with the site, it has been a big help to lots of people. I wish you well in your endeavours wherever they take you. Best wishes. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 3 months ago #537080 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Important news....please read
Thanks Kate,
I know I haven't posted much over the past couple of years but I have been lurking and catching up with the topics on a semi regular basis. I have been here from nearly the very start and LSB has been a feature of my life for all of those years. I have my joining the FB page pending and i will continue with my LSB journey there. I hope you get more stress free time with this change. Congratulations on having run an extremely successful site for so long. Merry Christmas. Jude.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537081 by meadowlands
17 years, wow what an achievement, big pat on the back for you & anyone else behind the scenes.
Makes so much sense when you explained how we all expect to read the likes of Stuff, Herald etc for free.
Facebook does have some good pages but I found you have to scroll through the replies a lot more to get the information you want :)
All the best with the future Kate

More
6 years 3 months ago #537082 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic Important news....please read
Big thank you for everything that you've done Kate. LSB is a great community and while I haven't posted much or been on the site for a while, I have definitely learnt a lot from it and very much appreciate all the time, effort and $$ you have put into it.

While I do understand wanting to shut it down, the information on this forum is extremely useful and often comes up in Google searches when there is a question that needs answering. Facebook's search function isn't great, and most Facebook pages end up swamped with comments from people who just want to give their opinion without really knowing the answer, so it becomes much harder to get good information.

Anyhow, whatever happens with the site, it has been a great resource and a nice friendly place to post and/or lurk : ).

More
6 years 3 months ago #537084 by Rod Brown
I could write a lot but a simple thank you for the site will suffice, I will miss it and the help I have received.
All the best Kate and Jeff.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537101 by stephclark
Thank you Kate.. I will miss the lovely community you have bought together over the years.. I have laughed and cried .. I have wowed at the photos, learnt a lot and made some good friends.. thank you again and good luck with whatever you take on next

More
6 years 3 months ago #537103 by Ronney
Like everybody else I'm very sorry to hear it and thank you for the enormous amount of time that you have put into it over the years. To the best of my knowledge LSB is the only New Zealand-based website of it's kind and as such is a great resource which is going to be missed.

Best wishes for the future,
Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 3 months ago #537123 by hilldweller
Very sorry to read this Kate. I know it can't have been an easy decision for you.

Many many thanks for your hard work over a long period of time. This site was by far the most useful source of info when I was starting out in lsb-land and I've met some fabulous people through it as well.

All the best for whatever you decide to do next.

hilldweller

More
6 years 3 months ago #537131 by Mental
I've sent you a PM, having run forums and websites myself since 1997 I know what the commitment is and how much of your life it sucks up :)

I'm happy to look at how I can help out to keep this site and forum alive, adding one more site to my list isn't going to add too much more work load or technical resources as I'm already well set up including a large forum of my own that I've been running for the last ten plus years.

Cheers, Jason

20 Acres, two old houses, two old orchards, old milk shed, old barn, one big pond, and neighbours cattle - our own to follow one day...

More
6 years 3 months ago #537134 by Stikkibeek
Mental, I for one hope you can help find a solution for LSB
I can't help thinking that Facebook will just turn all Kate's hard work into pages of social chit-chat and this wonderful resource will be lost forever.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 3 months ago #537136 by Ramsay
Hi
I also would hate to lose all this great information.

Mental....Is there a way that this forum could be archived in a searchable database?
Obviously only if Kate would allow it.

I just don't know how you could do a fruitful search of a Facebook page or if it is even possible.

Thanks
Richard

More
6 years 3 months ago #537139 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Important news....please read
Can you do anything fruitful on facebook?

More
6 years 3 months ago #537153 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Important news....please read

Ramsay wrote: Hi
I just don't know how you could do a fruitful search of a Facebook page or if it is even possible.

Yes, I agree with this too - facebook is great for instant advice, but I think one of the most powerful things about a forum is that you can search and find people who have had the same problem in the past and see what advice they were given, without asking a new question. An archive would be amazing, although I have no idea about the logistics of making that happen, so could be too onerous, I suppose....

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
6 years 3 months ago #537154 by Stikkibeek
I have used Waybackmachine in the past for useful stuff, but have no idea what the ins and outs of that is, or how reliable it is for keeping information.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds