Important news....please read

More
6 years 4 months ago #537036 by GrayHawk
I'm so sad to read this.... but you must do what is best for you and your family. I rarely post, and only when I can't find the answer in the wonderful resources on this site, and have been most grateful for the info/advice freely given by the wealth of knowledge you have created in this online community. I read the new posts every morning, and especially enjoy all the birth announcements and health updates (animal and otherwise). At least I'll still be able to follow Ruth online! Best wishes for the future to you and your family. Regards, Sue

Me, partner, 1934 Ford Roadster 351C, 1970 Ford Maverick Grabber SB383 drag car, GMC Surburban BB454 tow wagon, Magnum 1850 speed boat, SB383-powered jet boat, Yamaha Big Bear quad bike, Honda mini-chopper, Murray ride-on mower, Fergus and Carby the Farm Beardies, the Ginga Brothers (Noughts and...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537040 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Important news....please read
Gosh.

I was surprised when I read the email last night, rather shocked in fact. But I can understand that managing the forum in the very least is time consuming esp. when you are trying to work your own land and stock. I get told off for being on the computer far too much during the day (I don't).....

Anyhow I wanted to thank you Kate for a great forum! I'm trying to remember how long I have been a member (with the name change as well) and I know its far more than the 5 years this profile has lived for, it must be getting close to the 15 year mark if not more.

I have come and gone but always found members offered advice that generally was constructive and mostly didn't belittle. In this day and age of social media and how people seem to think its ok to personally attack others for their opinion, this forum has been a shelter and safe place to ask odd questions anon.

Many thanks to Members Sue and Ruth with their no nonsense and practical advice.

Is there anything forum members can do Kate to support the continuation of the forum? Should we re-visit ''friends of LSB'' again to source financial membership to be able to pay for external technical help?

Thankyou again Kate. If options are not possible, its been a pleasure to have got to know you all!

More
6 years 4 months ago #537041 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Important news....please read
WOW!! I have often wondered how you managed to maintain the site and manage your everyday life.My morning expectations of some fascinating reading will be gone.
I can't blame you for wanting out but the site is genuinely interesting for old and new LSB's. If technical expertise is required, maybe FMG or similar supporter could be persuaded to help?
There is a real need to put everyone's ideas and experiences forward and I don't know of any similar forum to do so.

Thanks Kate for some wonderful entertainment and best wishes for all the chores you can now get to.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
6 years 4 months ago #537042 by neil postie
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate, Deanna

More
6 years 4 months ago #537043 by greenfingers
Oh no! That must be so frustrating for you. Thank you for all you have done, I have certainly learnt a lot I would never have even considered knowing without this forum. It has been so lovely to read the goings on at other peoples places, and seeing the seasonal changes around NZ.

Is there anyway it could be carried on, on Facebook for example?

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
6 years 4 months ago #537046 by Anakei
Oh no :ohmy:
This is my favourite site and the only forum I post on. I will feel bereft!
Is there no-one on this site who is able to assist with the technical support?

Thank you Kate for all your hard work. It is amazing that you have managed to continue for 17 years!
All the best for the future :) :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 4 months ago #537047 by jeannielea
I've just read your post and really want to say thank you. I've been a member for probably most of the life of LSB and since I began as a novice lifestyler have learned heaps. I don't think any of us could estimate the influence the site has had on our members, our blocks and the lifestyle we live. And I think everyone has learned that there is always more to learn and you have given us the place for that. Amazing!
So thanks again for all the hours the 'blood sweat and tears' and be assured that you have made a wonderful contribution to the country life of NZ.
And best wishes for all you undertake in the future.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537050 by Hekto
Replied by Hekto on topic Important news....please read
Thank you for running this site for so long. I only joined less than a year ago, but feel like I have learned so much from this place.

If you need technical expertise I am happy to try to help solve it, but I get that even without technical problems this forum is a large time commitment.

Wairarapa. 2 cats and a large veggie garden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate, LongRidge

More
6 years 4 months ago #537055 by 16 Paws
I’m devastated! I am so grateful for the advice I have had from the forums, and the information in the files. Without this site our animals would have suffered, not thrived, and our move to a lifestyle block would have been so stressful, we would likely have given up before starting. The work that must have gone into the site is immense so a huge big thank you to all involved.
If there was anyway to keep it running, even if handing it to a commercial provider for a subscription, I’m sure many would consider it. I’m sure many options have already been explored, but please, if there is any particular help needed, reach out and see if any one of us could help. The skills amongst everyone here are immense -part of what makes the site so precious.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537056 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Important news....please read
Thank you all for your very kind words....

Firstly, the reason I've not responded to this thread earlier is that no sooner had I made the decision and informed everyone I took to my bed with a fever. I heard on the the radio this morning about the mumps outbreak and I think that's what I've got. I must have picked it up on a trip to Hamilton via Auckland last week which just goes to show it's best to stay on the farm B)

Thanks for all the offers of technical assistance. I have a technical background myself and have an excellent company who help with the stuff I can't do but it's not simple. Nothing is impossible to fix, but some problems are proving intractable and others are going to require a lot of work. Which means a lot of money.

Briefly, advertising will never keep a site like this financially viable. You've probably heard the same from many online newspapers. While a magazine can have a print run of only 8,000 and we can attract 100,000 unique visitors a month, they will get a lot more for advertising. Banner ads are too easy to ignore. The only online ads that pay well are the ones that take over the screen and annoy the hell out of you :S

Subscriptions would have made it possible to keep the site going and we tried with Friends of LSB, the Deal Club and latterly LSB Plus but none were taken up to a degree that made a real difference. People are used to the internet being free, I am myself, I read Stuff and the Herald and the Guardian daily and while I do donate to the Guardian I probably wouldn't read any of these sites if there was a paywall. I always wanted the information on LSB to to free, so it was there if someone needed it.

I'm working on ways to maybe have the information on the site still available but I don't know how that's going to work. At this point, LSB will probably be here into the new year as the technical stuff that will have to be done to make it work (if we can!) won't be done as some people expect time off at Christmas!

When the forums close I could set up a Facebook group if anyone is interested?

Thanks again for all your support over the years and believe me I wouldn't be doing this if I had any real alternative.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: meadowlands, Deanna

More
6 years 4 months ago #537057 by Baroque
Kate:

As I said in my email, I'm sad that LSB is coming to an end but can understand after 17 years you've probably had enough!

Thankyou so much for all your work and efforts in keeping the site going and providing such a great resource for everyone.

A FB group would be fantastic so we can all share knowledge and keep in touch, it's always great to learn from others who have done it before...

Keep in touch and wishing you a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #537059 by kate
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by kate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, Wren, Baroque, iennis

More
6 years 4 months ago #537062 by Farmersden
Thank you.... I have learnt so much from this site, taken steps I would not have done without the advice and support of fellow members... Thank you kate and I wish you and yours all the best. One last time.. THANK YOU

More
6 years 4 months ago #537065 by Baroque

kate wrote: business.facebook.com/groups/lsbforums/

I can't find it on FB. It says it doesn't exist :(

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537066 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Important news....please read
Sorry, I just corrected it www.facebook.com/groups/lsbforums/

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deanna

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds