Those damn weather forecasters!

More
6 years 4 months ago #537072 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Those damn weather forecasters!
Well done SB on getting the hay done. It is the most satisfying feeling to get the harvest done and safely stored, knowing you are prepared for the winter.

We got 2 mm out of the last forecasted rain. Hardly wet the ground. We live in hope for the forecasted rain next week, starting Boxing day.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537073 by kate
And we've had rain most days, today it was quite heavy around 6am now just a steady, gentle rain. Sorry...I'd send it down to you if I could.

Web Goddess

More
6 years 4 months ago #537074 by Stikkibeek
Kate, I'm glad you are getting a bit of rain. After such a wet winter, we deserve a treat, but sadly some parts of NZ are in for a very dry time. Sue, is your area included in the Govt. announcement re the drought?
Hard to think Taranaki is in trouble with all those creeks and streams coming down off the mountain

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 4 months ago #537075 by muri
Watercare, which is owned I believe by Auckland City has just posted notices it wont supply water to outside of areas with reticulation so it can ensure supply for its own customers. This means it could well stop supplying water tankers which are endlessly plying our roads at the moment. With most of the water suppliers, there is currently a waiting list filled until the end of January so if you are looking for water now, you could well wait several months to get it.l

More
6 years 4 months ago #537077 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Those damn weather forecasters!

Stikkibeek wrote: Sue, is your area included in the Govt. announcement re the drought?
Hard to think Taranaki is in trouble with all those creeks and streams coming down off the mountain

Yes the Horowhenua is included in the Manawatu-Whanganui region.
Not sure being declared an official drought will actually mean for us though!. It would be nice to hear that hay or baleage could be trucked in to the area but it seems it is more about tax breaks and deferred payments-which doesn't really feed hungry stock. The fact that there is no killing space available for weeks doesn't help either. I hear killable stock is being trucked long distances for space.

I have been advised to wean early (by someone who has plenty of grass in another region!) I am not considering that option as we have nothing to put the calves on to and with no options available to cull the cows not fair on them either! Whilst the calves can get milk and hay they seem to be doing OK.

If we get the promised Boxing Day rain-plus a few days following it will be some relief-but still no grass for weeks ahead.
We are just feeding out what feed we have and hope something eventuates before winter. Other than that we will be selling lots of lovely in-calf pure bred Murray Grey cows-hopefully not to the works-but if things don't improve that will have to be the destination.

We were in Taranaki-around Inglewood-Stratford last weekend and couldn't believe they thought they had a drought-it was green as and baleage and hay being made. Here the paddocks are brown and shriveled! Anything that was cut in November is still as it was when the baleage was cut and carted.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537078 by Stikkibeek
My brother borrowed our haymaking equipment and was critical of us that we cut our hay with the mower set level, as we left a bit of grass on the paddock. Brother's paddock is now going brown, he cut his close to the ground, scalping it on some of the uneven parts. Ours is growing a little especially in the old creek bed where the paspalum is taking off. I think we did the right thing by leaving a bit of hay behind. It will give us a little feed ahead of the stock, at least for a while.
We have nothing ready for the works yet, and the schedule has dropped close to 50C a kilo since October as people are off-loading lots of stock. There will be a shortage later so we will try to get ours to finishing size at least, hopefully by April. Still good pickings for the goats and my house cow is getting feed support to keep her going for the sake of her calf. We too are looking for the Boxing day forecast to bring some relief. Lost one of our water tanks when the cattle broke a ballcock and it doesn't take long for a big tank to empty when it is running unseen over night. Have some on hand in the farmtank which is out of action due to a pump breakage, so we can get that back on line if we fix or replace the pump.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds