Those damn weather forecasters!

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #536980 by Stikkibeek
Time to throw out computerized weather forecasting and go back to the time when knowledgeable people could look at the sky and give us an accurate forecast.

We could have/should have cut our hay a week ago, but thanks (yeh right) to the science of modern technology, we kept putting it off as the forecasts for rain looked ominous. We may have lost a part of out hay now due to drying out. The rain never came, the showers never came and the thunderstorms were no where to be seen.

Cutting it today, so if it does rain, it will be our fault, for being so annoyed with the on again off again forecasting, that we have now shut our ears to them all.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536982 by Mudlerk
There were some thunderstorms in Manawatu last week, but the city seemed to get most of it! Most aggravating to drive across damp pavement 300 metres from home...which remains dry as dry.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536984 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Those damn weather forcasters!
Pffft!
We were promised 10 mm overnight-absolutely nothing here. Now it has moved to a forecast of 8mm on Tuesday evening-I'm not holding my breath! Some areas around us have had nothing for 55 days. We are lucky-we got 1.2 mm on 10th December!

We're feeding out our precious hay and I worry there will be none left before winter as we only have third of what we would normally use between June and September.
I can see we will be having to sell off quite a few of our beloved cows before winter.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536985 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Those damn weather forcasters!
As there seems to be reduced feed saved nearly everywhere, I wonder how much the entire bovine population will need to be reduced this year?

More
6 years 4 months ago #536986 by Stikkibeek
I can relate to that Sue. We spread our cattle out over existing pasture so we could close up for hay and then with all the nonsense coming from forecasts, we delayed cutting. It's gone down yesterday, and we knew we might get rain today, but that we could cope with since the rest of the week looked good, ....except, now not so good. Still we have to make what we can of it and hope to get the hay in dry, as we need the paddocks now and maybe even the hay if we have to start feeding out in the new year. I'm picking a poor year for hay generally, which will push the price very high. Hay hoarders may well reap big profits during the winter.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536988 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Those damn weather forcasters!
We haven't shut any of our 50 acres up for hay this year, but managed to buy a bit from a neighbour
. Even in a good year when there is a delay in getting hay or balege cut due to rain, the cows can go short of grass.

This time with virtually no rain in 2 months it looks like this!

There are 14 cows and their calves plus the bull on 40 acres. It is split into 7 paddocks-but they move around every 2nd or third day for a change of scenery. They are mooing for hay now when we visit so looks like we are in for a long haul of feeding out. I only wish I could lay my hands on more feed-whatever the price!

In the 13 acres around home there are 5 cows and their calves and a bull. It looks slightly greener because of the cally thistles, but not much better.

Up at the 20+ acre runoff are the 19 young stock including a bull and 5 calves. Permanent water makes it a bonus but the owner is having the pine trees on the boundary felled, so there are about 6 acres out of bounds at present until the branches are all cleared up and the logs taken away.

The latest NIWA picture shows us in 'Severe Drought' dark red!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #536992 by LongRidge
We did our hay over the weekend, because today was going to be quite wet :-). We got 240 bales. Last year we got 660 from the same area. And the rain did not happen :-(. I'm glad that we didn't lamb this year because we would have been having to sell them "store" at $50, rather than the $120 we would get if they were up to weight.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536993 by Kilmoon
You guys do have it bad. I ordered our hay back in October like normal and had it delivered two weeks ago. Glad I did it early, we had ex neighbours that would wait till autumn to buy hay in.

More
6 years 4 months ago #536994 by ccrk9
Here in South Wairarapa we actually got 17mm the other day but the rain for today has not arrived. Zero rain in November, and a few spits the first week of December. Our little block looks green in places, but the two sheep are always having to be moved and are out of feed really, so thinking of throwing them out into the paddocks with the cattle rather than keep them in the orchard.

The 8 acres up the road managed to get hay cut and baled no problem but instead of 100 bales, only got 50. And the big dairy farm next door only got half what they normally do. Just a bad season. and from what was discussed the farm is worried about autumn and winter feed already. I know the local farmers are already drying off some cows and ready to get rid of them if they already haven't done so.

Its certainly looking like a hard summer and its going to lead to a tough autumn and winter

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
6 years 4 months ago #536995 by Tui Ridge
I feel for you all! We have moved onto our new property - up at 320m in the Kaimais - which is supposedly 'summer safe' / high rainfall (but also very free draining!) .

It was a horse place that had been severely neglected, so no stock on the property for 6 months until about a month ago when we moved our sheep and cows. In the mean-time we have soil tested / fertilised and under-sown.

We decided spur-of-the-moment to get hay made and we have got 320 bales off probably about 1/2 of our land - about 10 acres, and it is really lovely hay! baled last Friday. (we have never done the hay thing before - our last property was too steep). Looks like we should be able to sell the excess no problem.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
6 years 4 months ago #536998 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Those damn weather forcasters!
38 mls is our tally for the last three months, am losing year old trees falling down the cracks in the ground, we had cracks back in October while most still had rain.
I have 4-5 super large balage bales if anyone can get them as they are spare, it wont help most but am outside of Wellsford and actually need them gone

More
6 years 4 months ago #537000 by Stikkibeek
We too have big cracks in the ground. A few young trees are starting to look a bit stressed, so, despite our tanks getting low, I will have to put a bit of water their way.
There has been a little bit of showers go through today. Not enough to damage the hay thank goodness, nor really put much in the water tanks.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537008 by rider1803
We are also in the same boat, huge cracks in the ground, our hay is due to be cut first week of Jan. 2 paddocks looking great but possibly past their best by then and 2 struggling along with some paspalum (sp) showing through so that will for the cows at best - the horses wont touch it. Thankfully we have about 25 bales left from last year that the horses and cows are making their way through. Winter was soooo wet and now we are baking dry - ordered water yesterday, earliest I can get it delivered is 28 December. My son is reduced to bathing in a gubba tub to conserve water and adults are on the shortest showers in history and only if you NEED one. No rain here (west Hamilton/pirongia) for weeks. There is going to be a lot of hungry stock and expensive feed bills this year!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537020 by LongRidge
Before the plastic baby bath got used for treating goats feet, and broke, we stood in it in the shower and used the grey water to flush the toilet (and then only when a number 2 needed to be removed). Both the toilet cisterns have 2 litre plastic bottles in them so that less water is flushed away.

More
6 years 4 months ago #537071 by Stikkibeek
Well despite dire predictions, we cut Sunday, had a light shower on Monday, turned Wednesday after a light shower had gone through, winrowed Thursday Morning and baled Thursday afternoon. All picked up and in the barn by 7pm. We have ended up with 245 bales. Well down on previous years, but i think with care we will get through the winter ok. With the new baler, we are packing them much tighter and consequently they are heavier, so that should equate to more hay per bale. NOW it can rain!:lol:

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds