Baleage costs?

More
6 years 5 months ago #536250 by Her outdoors
Baleage costs? was created by Her outdoors
Hi all, hoping I can get an idea from you all about how much I could expect to pay to get our grass made into square baleage?

We've previously been buying it in for $90 per bale, but with this year being so good for grass it seems a shame to miss the opportunity of cheaper feed.

So any ideas on how much it would cost to bale it? There's only 5 acres, so I'm assuming the costs would be higher than if we had more to bale?

Am having a bit of fun trying to get an estimate per bale price from a recommended contractor... and our neighbours were charged $90 to bale theirs last year, which doesn't make it worthwhile doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536254 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic Baleage costs?
There's all sorts of factors to take into account, but to give you an idea - 3 years ago we got large 12 bale equivs done - we got 32 bales off 4.5 acres for approx. $1900, so just under $60 per bale. This included moving the bales to a stack at the end. Some of the charges from the contractor are per acre/hectare (like mowing) and some are per bale (like wrapping) so it's a combination of how much to mow and how many bales you get off it. Sometimes it's hard to get a contractor to come in and do a small amount - if you have a large farm nearby doing it try to find out who their contractor is and tie in your place to be done at the same time while they're in the area. Hope that helps!

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

More
6 years 5 months ago #536262 by Her outdoors
Replied by Her outdoors on topic Baleage costs?
Thanks Remrem, gives me an ballpark to go on :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #536266 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Baleage costs?
It will depend on how many bales you get from your land, as to what your costs will be per bale.

Most contractors will have a flat rate for mowing and raking and a per bale rate for baling and wrapping. So the more bales you get the better the rate of mowing and raking works out per bale.

As an example, our main crop of baleage averaged out at $41 per bale ( everything included) but later in the year we took baleage from the same paddock, just to tidy it up as we would not be able to graze it. There were far fewer bales so the costs averaged out at $61/bale.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536267 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Baleage costs?
We bought in baleage last year and it cost $65 a big square wrapped and stacked on the farm-carted from where it was cut, just up the road. $20 for the grass and $45 for the processing from cutting to stacking. I think the cost also depends on what area of the country you are in.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536490 by VioletFarmer
Replied by VioletFarmer on topic Baleage costs?
I'm not sure what it is for large square's, but we are lucky our neighbour's son is a contractor, so they just fit our paddock in when they are going past- 14 large rounds wrapped $35 + gst I think it was last year off 2 acres (non irrigated). As someone already said- call a neighbour or 2 and see when they are getting some done & ask who they use- could certainly bring the cost down a bit as they wont be adding all the mileage to your bill. The main thing is being a small block, you may be at the end of a very long list at a very busy time of the year, try to be patient. Contractors may 'black list' you if there are any hidden 'weapons' in your pasture- old implements, broken fencing, non visible troughs etc... all of these things can cause major damage to their machinery, we mark our drain and water pipe locations with a deer electric fence standard with a white plastic bag tied to the top- and we tell them why its marked. Good luck & fingers crossed you find a good contractor to do the job for ya :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #536504 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Baleage costs?
We got 31 big rounds cut and baled last year for $1667 - around $54 per bale. That included stacking the bales.

Web Goddess

More
6 years 5 months ago #536511 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Baleage costs?
Our big rounds cost about $2 more than they would have because we asked for an extra wrap. This was money very well spent because we had no mouldy bales, and the rabbits and mice did not eat through the wrap. Innoculating the balage at about $1 per bale also makes for a much better result.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds