Watering

More
6 years 6 months ago #536145 by Claudie
Watering was created by Claudie
Hi, I'm after some advice on the best way to transport water for watering new trees. We have recently purchased 12 acres and are keen to plant boundaries, but how to water in those initial years? We have a small tractor with a tow bar, no trailer as yet and I've purchased one of those large square water tanks in the steel frames. I did think of buying an old trailer to use exclusively for the tank but my husband thinks that the weight of the water tank will kill the trailer. Any clever ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #536147 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Watering
Can you give us an indication of where you are, annual rainfall, etc?

More
6 years 6 months ago #536150 by Claudie
Replied by Claudie on topic Watering
We are in Rodney. No idea of average rainfall but I imagine it's pretty dry in summer.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #536152 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Watering
Beyond my ken, I'm afraid. One tip, though: I have planted out thousands of trees with pretty good success [c. 95% survival] by growing them on in largish [PB6] plastic bags for however long it takes for their roots to run out of space, usually 3 to 12 months. That way you can keep them in an ideal spot close to your water supply and ensure they get off to a good start.
And one more suggestion: If they are destined for a tough environment, it pays to first put in a hardy shelter belt [the best species vary from area to area], then plant more attractive trees/shrubs to leeward once the 'toughies' have changed the microclimate. For windy areas this generally takes 5 to ten years. Patience pays surprising rewards...for me, three times I have suddenly noticed the environment I'm living in is much nicer than when we arrived!
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Mudlerk.

More
6 years 6 months ago #536154 by Jontashya
Replied by Jontashya on topic Watering
We do the water tank on the back of a trailer thing. Just don't fill it completely as towing 1 ton of water sloshing about is a bit exciting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claudie

More
6 years 6 months ago #536155 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Watering
Plant initial plants that dont have a high water requirement such as flax, which act as nurse plants and mulch well then there is no need to water if you plant at the begiining of winter then they will have sufficient moisture to survive without watering. Have been planting trees for two years , near Matakana , in early autumn and winter without watering anything. Didnt lose anything in last summers drought

More
6 years 6 months ago #536158 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Watering
Like Jontashya, we've got an IBC on an old trailer chassis also, with a 12 volt submersible pump on the end of some 40mm flexible hose with a petrol-pump type of nozzle. Works a treat! We tow it with an old Landrover. The trailer springs bottom out so they have blocks for support, and we pump the tyres up to 45 lb. So long as you take it nice and easy over rough ground it's not a problem.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 6 months ago #536159 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Watering
We transport about 1.5 T of water by trailer regularly. The trailer has had a few issues, with rust and parts needing replacing but these are to do with age and sitting out in the weather. It is a very sturdy trailer, weighing about 0.5 T.

With the right tow vehicle, tyres, and a sturdy, braked trailer, you should be fine.

Can you set up a tank and drip lines to the trees so you only have to fill that tank up every so often?

More
6 years 6 months ago #536169 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Watering
those containers are a thousand litres but that's not to say you have to fill it right up. Even a small tractor should be able to carry one of these half full? I have also used a 44 gallon drum on the back of the tractor. It's worth making a small trailer just for this purpose cause you are going to need it if you are planting trees.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #536172 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Watering

tonybaker wrote: those containers are a thousand litres but that's not to say you have to fill it right up. Even a small tractor should be able to carry one of these half full?

Oddly enough, Tony, I've found it easier to tow when full, in spite of it being a 1 Ton weight, as there is no room for the water to slosh around as it does when partially full. We drive it out to the area full, then slowly creep along the planted area in low ratio while partner waters with the hose. Works a treat!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 6 months ago #536189 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Watering
true Rokker, I have not had any problem as my Fergie always does everything I ask of it!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #536201 by wttmf
Replied by wttmf on topic Watering
Dont plant now, it will get dry over next few months.
Dig a big hole add allot of compost.
If you have a $10 tree and dig a $1 hole it will become a $1 tree.
Mulch each tree with as much as you can get.
Water very well a soon as planted.
Remove the ground cover from around tree - 1m diameter minimum.
Soak tree roots in water mixed with kelp just prior to planting.
Windbreak if possible.
Run 15mil alkathine pipe from your water source to trees and water by hand, better still run drip line. Using a tank on trailer is ok but more water is better, if using a tank you will tend to water less.
Only plant as many trees at a time as you can care for well.
Did I mention dig a big hole?
Fertilise soil.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds