Lamb looking sorry for himself

More
6 years 5 months ago #536136 by Wren
If he's the same in the morning I'll be calling the vet, but in the mean time....

We have a lamb, one of triplets, 3 weeks old, who has been thriving but just today has started to look sorry for himself. He seems to be low on energy, his eyelids look a bit droopy, and he's not bouncing around like his paddock-mates, just walking slowly, and sitting down more than the others.

His mum had a pre-lambing vaccination, but was a bit slow with feeding them when they were born, so I was worried that they didn't get much of her colostrum (I gave some powdered colostrum to them all on day one to top up what they got from her). I asked the vet about this and they said they should still be getting antibodies in the milk so I wouldn't need to vaccinate them until 3 months old.

We put a ring on his testes 2 weeks ago, and there is a small amount of scabbiness around the ring, which I have sprayed twice with blue spray over the last week.

The only other change is that they moved paddocks on Monday.

I'm about to go and give him some powdered milk, because he looks to be struggling to get anything from mum - no energy to fight off his siblings, but what else should/could I be doing tonight....?

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536138 by 4trees
Hi, sorry to hear your lamb is not so good. If he is one of triplets, mums milk will possibly not be sustaining him enough because he is getting bigger along with his brothers and sisters, so you may have to substitute him, I would put some glucose in his milk. We have just drenched all our lambs last weekend as we saw quite a lot of tape worm, so this could also be a problem, but I would think that volume of milk he is getting is probably not enough for his age. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 5 months ago #536139 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Lamb looking sorry for himself

4trees wrote: Hi, sorry to hear your lamb is not so good. If he is one of triplets, mums milk will possibly not be sustaining him enough because he is getting bigger along with his brothers and sisters, so you may have to substitute him, I would put some glucose in his milk. We have just drenched all our lambs last weekend as we saw quite a lot of tape worm, so this could also be a problem, but I would think that volume of milk he is getting is probably not enough for his age. Good luck.

Thanks. The funny thing is that I had been supplementing the triplets with milk, but he actually never drank from the bottle, but his wee brother, and mainly the wee runty sister would come for a drink. However, in the last week they've mostly stooped taking it when I offer the bottle, and I'd actually seen the poorly one drinking from our other ewe, who has a single lamb, so had kind of assumed they were managing to sneak enough extra from her milk-bar.

Have tried a few times tonight to give him bottle milk but he's not that keen and seems to just lap at the bottle rather than wanting a good drink. I get a bit into him with a syringe, but that didn't seem to perk him up much. I guess I'll be taking him to the vet in the morning, then.... Poor wee fellow.

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
6 years 5 months ago #536166 by 4trees
Hi Wren, I think you will have to persevere to get the lamb to drink, I have got one that seems to have got mismothered and I have had him over 1 week and he is now just accepting his bottle. They seem to have to learn a new way of sucking the teat on the bottle after being on the ewe. We always find that this is an issue, although I am sure some Glucose does help sweeten the milk a little to get them started. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 5 months ago #536173 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Lamb looking sorry for himself
Sad end - unfortunately we had to euthanase the wee boy. Took him to the vet yesterday morning and he got lots of shots for various things, but after all that he still went downhill and ended up having convulsions so it was the nicer thing to put him out of his misery.
Not a fun day :(

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds