Swallows

More
6 years 6 months ago #535685 by iSor
Swallows was created by iSor
How does one stop swallows from darting in and out of the garage while the door is open or being closed, as they create such a mess on the cars and often get trapped inside if they don't escape in time, the cat can not be relied upon and is just teased or asleep when needed.
The last time "he who knows best" shot at one, he didn't know (look) where it landed until I noticed a dead smell in my car as the poor sod ended up down my windscreen where I couldn't see it.
Are they supposed to bring good luck or something, all we get are their nests and mess in places that are hard to clean and that "hot feet" stuff is just plain cruel. I have seen those spike things on beams which probably work the best and are the most humane but are an eyesore, so I'm wondering, what are swallows actually scared of in the natural environment which I can use to control them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535693 by abycat
Replied by abycat on topic Swallows
We have had issues with Swallows too. They are quick and they poo a lot.
Ours like to nest in the implement shed and make a mess.
They are very pretty birds up close and are quite the clever nest makers.
We tried to scare them with a hanging fake (but very life like) owl but nope they just sat on him ;-) Occasionally the cat gets one and she's forever stalking them but even that doesn't put them off.
My husband has broken their nests off repeatedly and one season they moved to the cows shelter instead.
They seem to like the enclosed safe feel.
Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: iSor

More
6 years 6 months ago #535697 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Swallows
We have them too. They used to nest on top of the outside light which is in the porch, but I just kept knocking their nest down and they went away finally. this year they have chosen a high beam in the workshop and are making a mess all over the machinery and the classic cars. Going to have to find the avocado picking stick to be able to reach this nest to knock it down. Any more headaches from them and they'll get a lead aspro

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 6 months ago #535716 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Swallows
I'm happy to be corrected on this, but it's my understanding that as they are a native species, and are not listed on any of the exemption schedules in the Wildlife Act (1953) Swallows are classed as being absolutely protected, and you cannot shoot them under any circumstances. If you do, you're subject to prosecution and a hefty fine.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #535720 by Stikkibeek
Ahhh!

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #535721 by Stikkibeek
Not native, no. They self introduced from Australia about the 1950's or 60's. They are not endangered and they have plenty of choices around our place, but one of those is definitely not where the classic cars live.

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535723 by iSor
Replied by iSor on topic Swallows
Should've done this before, but I've just found a post by Kiwi303 7/10/09...

he suggested nailing up a dry stoat skin to deter swallows, as they are their predators.

Hawkspur, have you still got that stoat that your clever dog brought in last week?

More
6 years 6 months ago #535725 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Swallows
Self introduced birds are included in the category of native. Native simply means they occur here naturally, not introduced by humans. I am not sure if they would be protected though, can't imagine so.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535737 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Swallows

iSor wrote: Should've done this before, but I've just found a post by Kiwi303 7/10/09...

he suggested nailing up a dry stoat skin to deter swallows, as they are their predators.

Hawkspur, have you still got that stoat that your clever dog brought in last week?

Ha yes, it is still there, seeming unattractive to harriers and the dog.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535739 by Runamuck
Replied by Runamuck on topic Swallows
Yup, they are classified as a Native, not protected tho. We found the only way to stop them nesting in undesirable places was to remove the nests. It may take a season or two, but they get the message and build elsewhere.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535740 by Furball
That's very interesting, Runamuck. Could you let me know under what legislation swallows have been defined as not protected? This statement does seem to differ from the law in the wildlife act, so I'm curious.

The 1953 act states: "Most species of wildlife (including mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians), native or introduced, are absolutely protected under the Act. No-one may kill or have in their possession any such bird or animal, unless they have a permit."

Then a bit later on it states:
"To find what protection a particular species has, it is necessary to consult the schedules to the Act to see which, if any, schedule the species is listed on: Not listed on any schedule (the default protection) means absolutely protected. No-one may kill or have in their possession any such bird or animal, unless they have a permit."

Having looked in the schedules, I can't find swallows listed in any. (although other pest species like starlings and magpies are listed in them) This suggests to me that swallows have the default protection status - absolutely protected.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535743 by Runamuck
Hmmm. Well then I confess to being confused as DOC's website states that the Wildlife Act does not cover birds...

In many countries, when species are listed as threatened, they automatically also receive legislative protection from hunting, habitat destruction and other threats. In New Zealand this is not true – there is no direct link between conservation status as assessed using the NZTCS (or IUCN red-list) and legal protection.

Legal protection for native plants and animals exists via the:

Conservation Act 1987 (plants and animals on public conservation land only)
Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978 (marine mammals only)
Wildlife Act 1953 (animals only; originally terrestrial vertebrate animals only, but a few invertebrate and marine fish species are declared to be “animals” for the purposes of the act)

However I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong. Personally I like swallows, except when they decide to nest near our bed, which is when we assisted them with their decision to nest elsewhere by removing the nest, and the subsequent ones they tried to build. Rest assured they came to no harm and are now happily nesting in the digger shed :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #535747 by WillNZ
Replied by WillNZ on topic Swallows
Same here, simply harassing them when they are trying to settle in soon gets them shifted to a new spot.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #535752 by Furball
It looks like confusion is being caused by the use of the word "animals" on the DOC site. In scientific usage, this doesn't mean only mammals, but also includes birds, reptiles, and amphibians i.e. vertebrates. Technically a bird is a "terrestrial vertebrate animal" so the Wildlife Act applies to birds. (The word "terrestrial" is being used by DOC to distinguish land from sea animals, as originally the Wildlife Act didn't apply to marine animals, though some have been added to it since it became law)

So I would read the DOC text not as saying the Wildlife Act doesn't cover birds, but as saying that all "animals" (terrestrial vertebrates) in Aotearoa have protection not directly because of their conservation status, but because they are already protected by the different applicable acts listed. That makes sense to me - just means we protect things slightly differently to other countries.

So: All birds are by default absolutely protected, unless the Wildlife Act explicity un-protects them by listing them in a schedule. It would actually be rather silly for the Wildlife Act not to apply to birds, seeing as a huge amount of our endemic species are birds....

Thanks, Runamuck - looks like DOC really need to tidy up their terminology there. : -)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Furball.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535753 by Runamuck
Then I happily stand corrected and have learnt something new :)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds