Stray animals

More
6 years 6 months ago #535617 by 70m45
Stray animals was created by 70m45
Hello, we live in rural Far North and in last few of months we've got a couple "visiting" animals on our land - mainly cats + dogs. We have very few neighbors and checked with them if they miss any animal but with no luck. What would be the best way to find their owners or give them for adoption? At the moment there is a very friendly cat visiting us every day and staying for a while, yesterday we had a dog with a puppy wandering around (we are in the middle of the bush on 100 acres so I was thinking if some people just dump their pets on our road)...

Is there any facebook page or council page for reporting such animals or should we contact animal shelter directly?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535618 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Stray animals
You could contact your local council's animal control officer for advice. They're the people who deal with lost abandoned or roaming animals.

Web Goddess

More
6 years 6 months ago #535622 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Stray animals
The F'nDC has been particularly hopeless in this regard for years but there are a couple of people who may be now making it better. Catch the animals and restrain them - particularly dogs!!! They'll be snacking on any Kiwi still left around in the bush and permanently damaging the whole population. Ring the Council and talk to the animal control people and they'll come and pick the dogs up. Cats are a bit trickier unless you can catch them.

Or have you a firearms licence and a rifle? Shoot them on sight.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535624 by Dorkus
Replied by Dorkus on topic Stray animals
+1 on the shoot on sight for the cats. Dogs I have more sympathy for because (in my opinion at least) they do less damage to native birds. They should be friendlier and easier to catch/handle too, unless they are actually feral - In which case a bullet is the best option.

Sounds brutal but like you say, you are in the middle of nowhere. If they were someone's much loved pet then they wouldn't be hanging around your place.

Muddling through establishing a new LSB from scratch.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535625 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Stray animals
Dogs are the primary threat to Kiwi. They don't even eat them, just grab them and crush their chests, which is immediately fatal. Kiwi scent is pretty irresistable to dogs.

I have no sympathy for wandering dogs - well actually I do for the animals being allowed/abandoned in that position, but I have no sympathy left for careless or negligent owners. We used to catch and return but having seen the same dogs, in nearly every such instance, again, we no longer do if we can catch or shoot them. People don't seem to take it seriously if you return their animals and ask them to keep them under control. The dogs of people who keep their dogs under control don't turn up here and get shot. Simple.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535627 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Stray animals

Ruth wrote: Dogs are the primary threat to Kiwi.

This is definitely true in the far north. Controlling dogs in kiwi areas would have a big positive impact on kiwi populations in this region.

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535630 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Stray animals
I'm also of the "shoot them on sight" camp, but if you are not, or don't have a firearms licence, your local council should be able to supply you with a live catch trap that will work for both cats and dogs. Then you can take the animal to an SPCA place. If you are that way inclined.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535653 by 70m45
Replied by 70m45 on topic Stray animals
Thanks for all advice and just to let you know...

Rather sad development :( - so our sheep got attacked and badly bitten by neighbor dog yesterday all over her head and we had to put her down (we later found out she was pregnant too). Other sheep disappeared so we're not sure if it's dead too or just ran away...

It was a different dog that the one we saw before, neighbor apologized but well... They live -2km from our place and I'm not sure if his dog regularly runs free or if this was an accident...

it was horrific scene, we have sheep more as a pet so were pretty much devastated to see this...

Anyway, looks like I'm going to get a firearm license.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535656 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Stray animals
I would be very cautious about shooting any animal! Although you may have the right to do so, there are many fishhooks with this legislation. If you only injure it, then you could be up for cruelty to animals. You can usually get a cage from local council which will make disposal much more humane as you can't miss.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #535674 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Stray animals
I'm fairly sure once you have caught it you are not legally allowed to shoot it.
If a dog is on your property 'worrying' stock you can shoot it, but once you have seized the dog that no longer applies and you can only return it to the owner or call the Ranger. There was big dramas where I grew up because a farmer found a wandering pigdog, caught it and kept it tied up for a week or so, then shot it. I think it ended up going thru the courts.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535694 by abycat
Replied by abycat on topic Stray animals
Oh no your poor sheep :-( Sorry to hear that!

In regards to the friendly cat, get a photo and put on one of the MANY facebook lost and found pets pages.
New Zealand Lost Pet Register on facebook are very helpful bunch of people.
If it's friendly it's likely to have been someones pet.

Hope you get the dog problem sorted.

More
6 years 6 months ago #535709 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Stray animals
Cigar, I think that you are correct. I think that the dog must actually be in the same paddock as the animals that it is disturbing, so once it has been caught that is no longer the situation. When the dog has been shot then leave it and the animals where they are, and call the Council Animal Control Officer to come to identify that everything has been done legally. You are permitted to attempt to give your animals urgent first aid, or to get the vet out to verify the damage done. But the Animal Control Officer will want to be able to easily view the injured animals and their discomfort.
Last year we had a very injured pet lamb that had a big rip in it's neck and over it's ribs. With lots of Aerotet Forte, balage tape, daily wound dressing and supplementary food he has survived, and is as friendly as he always was. I live in the hopeful belief that if an injured animal wants to live then it will, and that many animals know that if they are being handled gently then they are safe. I hope ....
I had a fairly wild cow that I bought with a freshly poked-out eye. During winter I treated it occassionly and hoped that it would heal, but as the weather warmed up it got fly struck. The first few attempts at treatment were very difficult and if she had not had a young calf on her she would have been gone. But after a while she quietened done and behaved herself while I was flushing out the maggots and spraying in antibiotics :-). A lot of work, but for me it was worth the effort.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #535711 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Stray animals
I have become quite cynical in believing whether neighbours are aware or not their animals are wandering. We continually deal with the dogs from next door who are allowed to free range once we have gone to bed. Two summers ago the older of the two came visiting into our bedroom (we leave the doors open to catch the breeze). When I mentioned to the owner their dog had been visiting, his response was ''oh which one was it'' knowing full well who was missing as I heard him whistling for it as I chased it out of our bedroom.

The same one has also ''faced off'' one of my calves in the house paddock. I reported this to AC with no response. I have watched their dogs chase their horses, heard the children scream out when their dogs have attacked their cats, heard it attack their (former) pig etc. And the prat of a neighbour and his wife still allow the dogs out of sight....

Another neighbour regularly has her family name up in the community pages as being the owner of wandering dogs. Surprising really as her sheep were attacked a couple of years ago and she was most incensed.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by max2.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds