Our 1st calves

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #535449 by abycat
Our 1st calves was created by abycat
On Wednesday 13th September our 2 house cows had their 1st calves.
Olive had a Bull calf at 3am, 3 days early and Willow had a heifer calf at 3.35pm, 2 days late :-)
It was a LONG day but they are both good Mums and the babies are too cute for words!
If anyone out there would like a pure Jersey bull calf in 5 months time when he's weaned private message me for details and price.
Photos attached.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by abycat. Reason: photos won't load

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535451 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Our 1st calves

abycat wrote: It was a LONG day but they are both good Mums and the babies are too cute for words!

And a very grey night by all accounts as that is all I can see on your photos, with a thin sliver of picture on the right side of the frame. Don't know if this is a glitch with LSB, or, your loading.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: abycat

More
6 years 7 months ago #535454 by abycat
Replied by abycat on topic Our 1st calves
The photos won't load up properly no matter what I try :-(

More
6 years 7 months ago #535467 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Our 1st calves
Congratulations. Were you out there watching? Days early and late on what gestation/conception dates?

abycat wrote: ...If anyone out there would like a pure Jersey bull calf in 5 months time ...

What for? (I can never see the point of Jersey bulls, troublesome creatures!)

More
6 years 7 months ago #535468 by abycat
Thanks, we got up in time for the first one who just arrived and we watched the whole birth at the more civalized hour.
They were naturally mated so we had dates.

.[/quote]What for? (I can never see the point of Jersey bulls, troublesome creatures!)[/quote]

They are very popular service Bulls for heifers :-) Or he'd make a lovely steer.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535471 by Ruth
There are so many low-birthweight, high-accuracy semen bulls available, I can never see why anyone wouldn't use a beef bull.

Can you put photos up yet? With Jersey calves you'll have a good chance of winning the eyelash competition.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535487 by abycat
All the dairy farmers I know always use Jersey for Heifers, I guess you could say it's the done thing in the industry.
As cows they will often use Hereford.

The eyelashes on these calves are divine :-) I will try to post the photos again

More
6 years 7 months ago #535489 by Ruth
"That's the way we've always done it".... yeah, right. :dry:

Heifers are a pain to inseminate, so I know the practicalities, it's just a big waste of calves when they go straight to bobby trucks.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535490 by abycat
Yes agreed especially in the mixed herds but many of the pure Jersey herds are keeping replacements and Bull calves as future service bulls :-)

It still won't let me post photos grrrrr.
I emailed Kate last night.

I have been hand milking our Friesian/Jersey cross cow and am pleased to report her milk is yum :-)
She is such a good girl, I milk while she eats her pellets, no restraints needed. Her calf is often standing right next to me too.

Jody

More
6 years 7 months ago #535491 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Our 1st calves

abycat wrote: All the dairy farmers I know always use Jersey for Heifers, I guess you could say it's the done thing in the industry.
As cows they will often use Hereford

Just to let you know there are other bulls used in the dairy industry for both heifers and follow up to AI for cows. As a breeder of Murray Grey beef bulls suitable for mating heifers, we as breeders can often not even supply the demand for our breed at this time of year. I know there are several other breeds specially bred with low birthweight records for mating dairy heifers as well-Angus being probably the next most popular to Hereford, even if the prefer not to AI heifers but run them with a bull.

Just sold a lovely little Murray Grey bull with excellent production figures for low birth weight and easy calving-to a dairy farmer who was fed up with Hereford-even though he was getting excellent prices for his white face calves-over $300 at 10 days old. He said the calves were just too big especially for his heifers. He was so taken when he visited to choose his MG bull, with the size of the dams and their large milky udders he said he might even come back and add a couple to his dairy herd! He milks over 300 cows.

Dairy farmers are starting to get more selective as to the bulls they use as follow up after AI, especially for use on their heifers, and those in the know seek out bulls with figures for low birthweight data, also BVD blood tested free, and vaccinated
There are some lines of Herefords specially bred for the dairy mating scene-called Ezy calve Herefords.Once upon a time any bull would do, regardless of parentage and bought purely on cost-cheaper the better, but nowadays with beef being in more demand they have realised that a live calf with potential to grow and earn income as well they tend to be a little more discerning!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535492 by abycat
Yes I am aware Sue, I was generalizing for the purpose of the Jersey service bull scenario.
Speckle Park are an extremely popular beef cross with diary herds this season.
There are many low birth weight beefies out there, I have been looking into my future options.
Out of interest my Jersey Bull calf weighed 30kg at birth which I am told is big for a Jersey.

More
6 years 7 months ago #535514 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Our 1st calves

Ruth wrote: Congratulations. Were you out there watching? Days early and late on what gestation/conception dates?

abycat wrote: ...If anyone out there would like a pure Jersey bull calf in 5 months time ...

What for? (I can never see the point of Jersey bulls, troublesome creatures!)

There's a very nice one for sale on Trademe...."What for?" and just in case you missed out on that part of puberty talks...................:whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 7 months ago #535515 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Our 1st calves
I agree that inseminating heifers can be a pain but it seems such a waste not to! The heifers should have the best genetics in the herd and so their calves by good quality dairy bulls will be the next step forwards. It seems a shame to effectively waste a year by putting them to beef or to unproven dairy bulls. It means it takes three years to make the improvements that could have been made in two.

Congrats on your calves by the way!

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #535517 by abycat
Thanks Tonic
In our case our cows are much loved family members who will never be eaten and they are house cows, but one is a fully recorded Jersey. Both went to a fully recorded Jersey bull, it was hoped that our Jersey would produce a heifer calf for the Bulls breeder to improve and continue on genetics. Unfortunately she had a Bull but he is very nice :-)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by abycat.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds