And it's a bad start for us :,(

More
6 years 8 months ago #534763 by abycat
I will try to send you a private message now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #534776 by LongRidge
Male lambs are always more stupid than female lambs, so that is not your fault.
As stated elsewhere, male lambs are more susceptible to iodine deficiency than female lambs. I would rather have no lambs at all rather than ewes that have not been drenched during pregnancy with enough iodine.
When we have a lamb that will not suckle, we milk the ewe into the feeding bottle (close to 100 ml), then try to get the lamb to suckle the ewe. If the lamb won't suckle by lying it down beside the teat while the ewe is on her rump, then we try to bottle feed it with a teat. If it won't, then it gets tube fed. Mothers milk smells specific for the ewe, so feeding it artificial colostrum does not make the lamb smell right to the ewe. Also, I am not certain that powdered colostrum comes from sheep, so with the ewes own colostrum you know that it is ewe colostrum.
Did you massage the milk down into the teats, and did you have damp or greased fingers, when you tried unsuccessfully to milk her? Ewes can hold their milk up in the top of the udder very well, so with some ewes you need to "knead" the milk down to the teat, then milk it out with damp fingers.
With the mastitis that we have occassionly had, the milk smells sour and is curdled, or there are hard movable lumps in the teat/s.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds